Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#217223  by washingtonsecondary

Caboose is in its usual spot in the Dover Yard today.
 #217289  by Railjourner

HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
 #217347  by washingtonsecondary

Railjourner wrote:HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
The number is unique to the crew. The train you saw at BASF was H65.
 #217438  by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:
Railjourner wrote:HI, I was just wondering if someone could explain the significance of the train number? In this case H-02 (btw I saw a NS gp38 backing into BASF in Washington around 2ish today). Do all trains have them? Are they issued by the dispatchers or FRA? Does the same train number exist for any train operating between two points ie Allentown and Dover kind of like an airline flight number? Do the dispatchers and conductors use this number to identify the train when talking on the radio? How do you find out what a train's number is? Thanks guys.
The number is unique to the crew. The train you saw at BASF was H65.
And there from Allentown.

#217530  by jprez1963

SAW HO-2 STOPPED JUST WEST OF HACKETTSTOWN HEADING TOWARD WASHINGTON WITH 3 ENGINES AND ABOUT 30 CARS. IT HAD 5355 AND 5354 (BOTH GP38-2 I BELIEVE) FOLLOWED BY A HIGH NOSED SD40-2 3260.

#217540  by washingtonsecondary

He had a six axle east of Washington? Wow. Thats really rare.

#217606  by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:He had a six axle east of Washington? Wow. Thats really rare.
Yeah, I'll say.

#217724  by General

The high hood SD40-2 SOU 3260 has been in Dover since friday evening.

#217769  by washingtonsecondary

What was it brought up and used for. I thought 6 axels in dover was a no-no.

#217807  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:What was it brought up and used for. I thought 6 axels in dover was a no-no.
I don't know NJT's official rules on 6 axle engines in Dover.... I believe they might be banned, but I am not certain... I saw a high nose Sd40-2 in Dover a few years ago, but it wasn't there long....

Steve

#218139  by mountie17

Saw H-02 on the M&E loop in Morristown today (2/24/06) around 1:30ish. Consist was the two GP38-2s back to back on the west end with two tanks, two box's, and the caboose.

#218181  by washingtonsecondary

Saw him late yesterday returning from Hackettstown with the following consist:

Caboose Leading (yes leading) 3 cars-the 2 GP 38's-and 2 box cars behind the engines. I'm guessing he left washington this way and worked M&M's. I've never seen a road or local train run this way, it made for an intresting site.
 #218309  by jmchitvt

Railjourner - NS assigns the wayfreight number - "H" for Harrisburg Division - then a unique # to the home terminal for each job - CR used
WPAL and WPDO before the buyout - "W" for wayfreight, "P" for Philadelphia - then the origin station code - AL=Allentown - DO=Dover - two digit origin job # - WPAL-18, Allentown-usually Washington, Dover on Sundays, WPDO-61, WPDO-62 when there was a day and night "Dover Drill".

Hope this helps.
 #218422  by Railjourner

jmchitvt wrote:Railjourner - NS assigns the wayfreight number - "H" for Harrisburg Division - then a unique # to the home terminal for each job - CR used
WPAL and WPDO before the buyout - "W" for wayfreight, "P" for Philadelphia - then the origin station code - AL=Allentown - DO=Dover - two digit origin job # - WPAL-18, Allentown-usually Washington, Dover on Sundays, WPDO-61, WPDO-62 when there was a day and night "Dover Drill".

Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you this helps very much. After reading all the reference to various train ID numbers on this thread I became curious. Wasn't able to find much on my own I searched the net and the best I could determine at that point was that the first letter was for the division the train was operating in and the number had something to do with its direction of travel. Even number for north or east and odd for south or west. Much better informed now thanks.

#218575  by General

washingtonsecondary wrote:Saw him late yesterday returning from Hackettstown with the following consist:

Caboose Leading (yes leading) 3 cars-the 2 GP 38's-and 2 box cars behind the engines. I'm guessing he left washington this way and worked M&M's. I've never seen a road or local train run this way, it made for an intresting site.
Sounds like the usual H02 BUFFoonery. I took some H02 photos on friday. The H02 worked the Gladstone, then went east of Summit, ran around and headed west to Morristown with the two GP38-2's, a corn syrup tank, a white tank, two box cars, and the Conrail caboose. From Morristown, the H02 headed west. During the evening, the GP38-2's were in Dover with the caboose and there were no freight cars in the yard. Here is someones of the H02 in Morristown.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=300136
While at Morristown there were a lot of scowling people taking pictures. Is it really that bad seeing the H02? One of the disgruntled photographers drove around in a VW van, which is probably the only one of its kind in this country, so that was a sight to see.