Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#212618  by washingtonsecondary

Omega is the largest (and I think the only) customer on the Totowa Spur. My father works on their trucks from time to time. Omega ships out cases of tomato products in box cars.

#212672  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:Omega is the largest (and I think the only) customer on the Totowa Spur. My father works on their trucks from time to time. Omega ships out cases of tomato products in box cars.

Not so fast there rumpot....A new plastics company called "Vacumet" occupies the old Race Plastics site and it very well could be getting rail service in the form of covered hoppers!!

#212689  by MarkRouters

I have a question that's a little off topic. Can anyone tell me if the Totowa Industrial ever went further than it does now? Did it ever continue on and connect to another railroad?

#213147  by Tri-State Tom

Today @ 9:33 a.m., two NS GP40/38's ( both in black/racehorse scheme ) running elephant style leading 3 boxes, 1 tank and the red Conrail caboose EASTBOUND at BAKER.

Presume NS was headed to the Gladstone Branch/Reheis ???

But that's not all !

It was passed at BAKER by NJT GP40 #4300(?) heading WESTBOUND with a Comet V and an ALP-44 in tow !

Simultaneous moves you don't see very often, eh ?
Last edited by Tri-State Tom on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#213156  by Tri-State Tom

Mark -

What is today the sleepy, single-track 'Totowa Industrial Track' ( Mountain View to Totowa ) was formerly the heavily used ex-Lackawanna Boonton Line.

While it had several passenger stations and service east of Mountain View, it primarily was the main thru freight route between Hoboken and Scranton/Binghamton/Buffalo to the west. The ROW varied between 2 and 4 tracks but had 3 going thru Totowa near today's Totowa terminus.

The construction of I-80 doomed the line. From Union Blvd. EAST, I-80 sits atop the former ROW until you get to Paterson where the ROW curved southeast and hugged along the side of Garrett Mountain ( now Route 20 ? ) to a junction with the ex-Erie near/under the GSP.

#213161  by MarkRouters

Thanks for the info Tom! I've been wondering about this for a while. I tried to follow the ROW using Google Earth and I thought the former ROW was under Rt 80. I just wasen't sure where it went after that.

#213197  by nick11a

Tri-State Tom wrote:Today @ 9:33 a.m., two NS GP40/38's ( both in black/racehorse scheme ) running elephant style leading 3 boxes, 1 tank and the red Conrail caboose EASTBOUND at BAKER.

But that's all !

It was passed at BAKER by NJT GP40 #4300(?) heading WESTBOUND with a Comet V and an ALP-44 in tow !

Two engines? That would be a sight to see on the Gladstone. 9:33 AM- they're getting into Summit by then.

#213263  by General

Tri-State Tom wrote:Today @ 9:33 a.m., two NS GP40/38's ( both in black/racehorse scheme ) running elephant style leading 3 boxes, 1 tank and the red Conrail caboose EASTBOUND at BAKER.

But that's all !

There was a Reheis move today. The H-02 had the PRR 5354 & 5355 for power. After Reheis, the H-02 switched in Summit yard and pulled into the station for around 35 minutes before heading west.

#213278  by nick11a

General wrote:

But that's all !

There was a Reheis move today. The H-02 had the PRR 5354 & 5355 for power. After Reheis, the H-02 switched in Summit yard and pulled into the station for around 35 minutes before heading west.
Nice! Too bad I had class today and couldn't go.

#213492  by njt4172

Man, Reheis is a prety active freight customer these days......!
I remember in the Conrail days you were lucky if you saw him going down there once a month!

Steve

#213687  by nick11a

Very interesting shots there General! I like the faceoff one and ram style ones in particular. Don't see them like that very often.

#214157  by Tri-State Tom

The NS GP38-2's have just arrived at BAKER and have switched onto to the M&E for their refueling operation.

They do look good in pristine white snow....anyone got a camera ?

#214193  by mountie17

Saw the two engines refueling at Morristown, on my home this afternoon. I didn't have my camera, though. :( However, it would have made for an excellent photo, though.

#214213  by Tri-State Tom

The NS crew hung around for lunch....

The GP38's were hitched elephant style and left Morristown at 2:37 p.m. for Dover running long hood(s) forward.

Anyone know if these are ex-Conrail engines ? While both are obviously fairly new out of the paint shop, noticed neither carries an A/C unit atop the cabs.