Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1504264  by pdtrains

What I dont get....

Washington to Hudson yard and back should take about 6 hours. Maybe 8 if the NS holds them up for a long time. There's only 1 consignee..the plastics place in Stewartsville...they get 1 or 2 cars a week. And going east....to Lake Jct and back...with a few places to work...that's another 8 hr day. So who is going to take cars to Totowa and to other places on the boonton line. Or to the Gladsone br. I dont think u could make it washington to totowa and back in 12 hours with work along the way.

So...are we looking at
Day 1...Washington to hudson yard and back
Day 2..Washington to Totowa or boonton line customers or Gladstone br, crew outlaws on the road (maybe make it back to Lake Jct?)
Days 3..pick up power somewhere closer to dover or lake jct...run to Hudson yard, and back to washington....
and repeat, 6 days a week......

Or maybe washington to Lake Jct and back on day 2...and a DRRR crew would switch the boonton and M&E lines.

Im also just gonna make a rash assumption that there is only going to be 1 crew active a day. IDK really. with 1 crew and 2 NS GP-38's, that would likely be operating with one on each end of the train.

Kean..... inquiring minds want to know....
 #1504278  by CR7876

blocksignal wrote:Hello and thanks to everyone for this information. I plan on trying to catch the NSH02 tomorrow somewhere between Mt. View Wayne and Totowa NJ. It looks like it will be the last chance I get to catch them so hopefully I will get some nice photo shots. I am looking forward to seeing the new power of the shortline taking over that will be serving the Royal Distributors customer on the Totowa Industrial Spur in Totowa. It should be interesting.

Blocksignal.
The DD power is not ready yet. Rumor has it they will be leasing NS 5303 and 5304 ( both were at Enola 3-25).
 #1504302  by cjvrr

They are not going to Hudson Yard, the interchange should take place in Phillipsburg on the secondary itself.

Expect to see some track work in Phillipsburg, including lowering of the track at the "hole in the wall" to allow Plate "F" cars.

Accommodations are being made to work through weight restrictions on NJT so 286,000lb cars can be shipped and received into Morris and Passaic Counties.

It going to be a good operation and the management is fully competent to take on this new mileage. I for one wish them the best of luck.
 #1504307  by pdtrains

Soooo...will the interchange will be handled by the NS local that runs out the main to Three Rivers, etc. How often does that local run? if so, they will switch DD on the way back to Allentown. They will have to pull up on the bridge and shove back to the siding at Stockton road.

Other possibility is that NS will run a turn to Pburg and back, which seems like a waste of a crew. They would have to have an engine on both ends of the train (or have 2 engines and do a lot of saw-by's) as there is no runaround. just a siding with a switch facing west. Looks like the track will hold 10-15 cars, so with more cars than that...it would be interesting.

If NS leaves cars on the main by pburg...DD could just come west, couple on to the interchange cars, shove west past the switch at Stockton road , put their interchange cars in the siding, and then head east with their new cars.,Pretty simple. The NS would shove back from the bridge to east of the siding. leave their cars on the main, and pull the cars from DD off the siding. It would work...
A derail on the main would be a good idea...Its not a good area and kids will come by and knock off the brakes and get the cars rolling...

As for plate F and 286,000...thats been talked about FOREVER. I'm not sure where the "hole in the wall" is. AFAIK, the height restriction is the main street bridge in Pburg, right by the station. It will still take time.

Also....AFAIK....the NS is leasing the tracks to DD. So im guessing that messing with the tracks has to be done to NS's liking and with their permission. Cant see that that will make things go any faster....

We shall see.......

I figure as long as I keep talking, someone will let me know how this all works out.

Here's a pic of H65 on our fav piece of RR in Broadway, NJ, from a couple years ago....
H65 bway close up.png
H65 bway close up.png (809.23 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
H65 taken from the Pburg main st bridge. The OOS track to the left was part of a small DLW yard and team track
H65 pburg bridge.png
H65 pburg bridge.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3217 times
Pburg joint CNJ/DLW station taken from a train crossing the bridge over the delaware...in better days....
pburg station.png
pburg station.png (177.77 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
 #1504376  by blockline4180

pdtrains wrote:Soooo...will the interchange will be handled by the NS local that runs out the main to Three Rivers, etc. How often does that local run? if so, they will switch DD on the way back to Allentown. They will have to pull up on the bridge and shove back to the siding at Stockton road.

Other possibility is that NS will run a turn to Pburg and back, which seems like a waste of a crew. They would have to have an engine on both ends of the train (or have 2 engines and do a lot of saw-by's) as there is no runaround. just a siding with a switch facing west. Looks like the track will hold 10-15 cars, so with more cars than that...it would be interesting.

If NS leaves cars on the main by pburg...DD could just come west, couple on to the interchange cars, shove west past the switch at Stockton road , put their interchange cars in the siding, and then head east with their new cars.,Pretty simple. The NS would shove back from the bridge to east of the siding. leave their cars on the main, and pull the cars from DD off the siding. It would work...
Pdtrains,

They will eventually be putting in a switch in on the east end of the siding to make it a runaround... I hear possibly by the summer, but could be before then... Can't really get into it now, but it will happen soon..

And I would trust cvjrr on the track bed lowering to allow Plate F cars through.. He works for the county of Morris and is known throughout the communities of Morris and Warren Counties so I would consider him a reliable source... It will happen, I just don't know when.
 #1504478  by blocksignal

Good afternoon this post is a little late. I managed to catch and photograph the NSH02 at Taft Road in Totowa as it was on its way to Royal Distributors this past Tuesday 3/26/2019. The local arrived about 11 am with the following consist: NS 3366 SD40-2 6 axle, about 4 covered hoppers and 3 spine cars, and a red Conrail caboose #21303. The local finished switching at Royal and headed back west around 12 noon with 6 covered hoppers and the same 3 spine cars. I was told by a fellow railfan who was also there that day that they would be coming by again yesterday (Thursday). Does anyone know if they did and what the consist was?

It was great to see the local even though for the last time for me. I had first seen it at the exact same location back on 4/14/2009 so I have been observing, photographing, and later on videographing their operation from time to time for quite a while. It has been a pleasure to see them all these years and wish the crew well and a fond farewell to the NSH02.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Shortline servicing that area soon. I am hopeful that they do a good job there and also for all of their other customers as well.

Blocksignal.
 #1504527  by waldwickrailfan

blocksignal wrote:Good afternoon this post is a little late. I managed to catch and photograph the NSH02 at Taft Road in Totowa as it was on its way to Royal Distributors this past Tuesday 3/26/2019. The local arrived about 11 am with the following consist: NS 3366 SD40-2 6 axle, about 4 covered hoppers and 3 spine cars, and a red Conrail caboose #21303. The local finished switching at Royal and headed back west around 12 noon with 6 covered hoppers and the same 3 spine cars. I was told by a fellow railfan who was also there that day that they would be coming by again yesterday (Thursday). Does anyone know if they did and what the consist was?

It was great to see the local even though for the last time for me. I had first seen it at the exact same location back on 4/14/2009 so I have been observing, photographing, and later on videographing their operation from time to time for quite a while. It has been a pleasure to see them all these years and wish the crew well and a fond farewell to the NSH02.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Shortline servicing that area soon. I am hopeful that they do a good job there and also for all of their other customers as well.

Blocksignal.
I got them Thursday. NS5303 (GP38-2, Operation Lifesaver). And 10 cars. 2 tank, 1 centerbeam, 7 covered hoppers. Train went west Dover to Washington yesterday with 2 signs on the locomotive.

Currently, there are no active customers on the Morristown or Gladstone lines. Only the Boonton line.
 #1504542  by CR7876

TRAIN SYMBOLS
RP-1 operates Sunday-Friday on Washington Line, Totowa Ind as needed
RW-1 operates Monday-Friday on Rockaway Br, as needed
KV-1 operates Monday-Friday on Chester Br and High Bridge Cr, as needed

I would guess the RP-1 will run from Borealis to Pburg and return on Su-Tu-Thu to interchange with NS. Mo-Wed-Fri will run Borealis/Washington yd to Totowa and return.
 #1504628  by badorder

When do we end the H-02 topic?,that started in 2006. The Dover & Delaware River now covers the former H-02 territory, should a D&DR subject be started?
 #1504629  by blockline4180

badorder wrote:When do we end the H-02 topic?,that started in 2006. The Dover & Delaware River now covers the former H-02 territory, should a D&DR subject be started?
Yes please start a D&DR RP-1 sightings and reports thread!
 #1504646  by pdtrains

I can see them working Borealis on the days they run to Pburg and back. as there is not much else to do. That would leave enuf time to make it to Totowa and back on the opposite days, with working Lake Jct, and any industries on the Boonton line.
 #1507061  by blocksignal

Good morning has there been a new thread started regarding that shortline D D & R and if so what is the thread title? Also does anyone know the official schedule of that shortline servicing Royal Distributors on the Totowa Industrial Spur in Totowa? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #1507067  by CR7876

blocksignal wrote:Good morning has there been a new thread started regarding that shortline D D & R and if so what is the thread title? Also does anyone know the official schedule of that shortline servicing Royal Distributors on the Totowa Industrial Spur in Totowa? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=169435

Totowa is as needed usually on M-W-F as they go to Pburg Su-Tu-Th,
 #1507217  by blocksignal

Thanks CR7876. Would you happen to know what time or time frame they get over there when they do go to Totowa? I will be going to the new post site after this. Thanks again.

Blocksignal.
 #1507343  by blockline4180

blocksignal wrote:Thanks CR7876. Would you happen to know what time or time frame they get over there when they do go to Totowa? I will be going to the new post site after this. Thanks again.

Blocksignal.
Unfortunately the last few weeks they have only been going to Totowa on Wednesdays, most likely due to NJT track outages and other switching by DD that has been taking longer at Washington and Lake Junction... Times have changed as well. I think one day a few weeks ago they did Denville only on a Friday, but can't remember.