Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1493339  by pumpers

pd, you answered my question - that the only traffic that comes in or out of NJ on the Washington Secondary is for the ex DLW lines (and a few CNJ stubs).
JS
 #1493355  by pdtrains

Yea. cars for the erie side, and the old boonton below paterson, goes thru croxton and is handled by NS, xcpt for the northern br, which is handled by CSX thru North Bergen, and I think CSX also switches the very south end of the old DLW harrison branch off the M&E, just east of the Newark draw.
 #1493495  by blockline4180

rr503 wrote:
pdtrains wrote:OT, but yea, the state of NJ has certainly helped persuade 90% (or more) of the industry in north jersey to leave. Some would have left anyway, and Conrail was no help at all. They wanted to eliminate as much carload freight as possible. Trying to talk their local customers into trucking freight from a pad at Croxton to their companies, and ripping out team tracks, cause their lawyers considered team tracks a liability.
Absolutely. The big issue (that few like to talk about) is the fact that there are *way* too many pieces of local government in this state. 21 counties is a bit much, but whatever -- the fact we have 565 municipalities is ridiculous. That's one for every 16k people, and each one is levying its own set of taxes to fund governmental structures that are in many cases redundant. The economies of scale that could be realized if even a hundred were cut would be massive, and would vastly reduce tax load w/o cutting services...but I digress from trains.

One big question with this new operator is whether or not they'll push harder for bridge elevation/higher weight clearances with NJ. There was a study a couple of years back, but, to my knowledge, nothing has happened since (which, I'm sure, is at least partially attributable to NS's lack of interest in the route). That would really be a plus for shippers.
I know someone who is an engineer for the Dover and Rockaway River Railroad and he said they (CAD LLC) will be pushing the local govts to address the P'burg Main Street bridge clearance restrictions on the WASS.. There were several articles a few years ago talking about undercutting the railroad or moving the switch to accommodate plate F cars. If that were to ever happen it would open up new opportunities and help grow business a little more, especially on the branch lines west of Dover and existing customers on the WASS secondary where there are no NJT and catenary height restrictions.

We all know how the government drags their feet, even the tiny local ones with regard to funding, so Im not holding my breath this will happen anytime soon.
Last edited by blockline4180 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1493496  by blockline4180

FWIW.. Hopefully there is some positive movement by next summer.
http://phillipsburgrailstudy.org/about-the-study/
DRAFT PURPOSE & NEED STATEMENT
The purpose of this project is to provide freight transportation infrastructure that meets current industry standards in order to promote economic development and optimize freight movement particularly with the existing vertical clearance limitations of the South Main Street Bridge over the Washington Secondary/Morristown Line in Phillipsburg.
 #1494759  by CR7876

Due to the partial government shutdown, the STB is shut down. They have not yet approved CAD's filing with an effective date, so for now the take over will have to wait a little longer.
 #1503656  by blocksignal

Good afternoon. Does anyone know if the NSH02 is still servicing Royal Distributors in Totowa NJ on the Totowa Industrial Spur? If so what days and times? If not is it that shortline that's supposed to be taking over? If that is the case what days and times do they get down there?

Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #1504087  by badorder

This is the last week for the NS H-02 at Dover(the H-02 symbol will move to Allentown), the Dover & Delaware River takes over April 1st.? They will be leasing NS 5303,5304 for the time being
and later purchase or lease units with PTC for use on N.J.Transit. Don't know where the D&DR crews will be based out of, but it's not Dover and don't know what kind of operations are planned.
Has anyone else have any information on what is going to happening?,...wish them well and hope they do better than the EL,CR,NS on rebuilding the rail business in the Passic,Morris and Warren Countries.
 #1504136  by CR7876

Sounds like the DDRR crew will be based somewhere near Washington, run west to P'burg three days a week and run east three days a week. Interchange is supposed to be in P'burg, most likely meeting the NS local on the Washington Sec and not at Hudson Yard.
 #1504139  by pdtrains

We'll see if they can build business. It would be nice. Plenty of team track room in Washington.

Interchange...there's a siding in pburg just east of the stockton road undercrossing. Could only hold 10 cars or so, tho, and only connected to the main on the west end. Hardly seems like a workable interchange location for a lot of reasons.

I can see Hudson yard tho.....the H74 (or whatever it is now) local could drop off/pick up cars easily.
DRR would have to contact the NS DS to go from Pburg to easton, and then reverse over the LHR bridge to Hudson yard. They could also work the old CNJ main in easton if there is any biz there. Would be a good train to have a caboose for the backup moves, or else work with an engine on both ends.

PS Hudson yard is in pburg, too.
Last edited by pdtrains on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1504140  by CR7876

Chesapeake and Delaware, LLC is please to announce the start of Dover and Delaware River Railroad operations on Saturday March 30, 2019.

The Dover and Delaware River Railroad - reporting marks DD - will operate approximately 109 miles of track in Warren, Morris, and Passaic Counties, serving customers in the communities of Phillipsburg, Washington, Hackettstown, Dover, Denville, and Mountain View, on track leased from Norfolk Southern and over trackage rights on New Jersey Transit.

DD will interchange with Norfolk Southern at Phillipsburg, NJ, the Morristown & Erie Railway at Lake Junction, NJ, and with sister company Dover and Rockaway River Railroad at Chester Junction and Wharton, NJ. Operations will be at least six days per week.

Chesapeake and Delaware, LLC was formed in 2016 for the purpose of owning, leasing, marketing, operating, and managing short line railroads and related businesses. For more information on the Chesapeake and Delaware-owned Dover and Delaware River Railroad, Dover and Rockaway River Railroad, or our affiliated lines in New Jersey, including the Belvidere and Delaware River Railway and Black River & Western Railroad, visit: http://www.chesapeakeanddelaware.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
 #1504193  by pdtrains

I'm gonna vote for Hackettstown for the DD base of operation. I think it would just about be a 1 day turn to either Hudson Yard in Pburg, or Totowa, with work along the way.
Does NJT overnight any trains there, or do they all deadhead to port morris? Would be nice if there were a crew office there they could share. Also there's the 2nd track south of town. IDK if NJT uses it...If not DD could clear up/store equipment there.

IDK...just a guess. Would be nice if they cud get M&M mars to use rail again....Thats a big plant .
 #1504221  by blockline4180

pdtrains wrote:I'm gonna vote for Hackettstown for the DD base of operation. I think it would just about be a 1 day turn to either Hudson Yard in Pburg, or Totowa, with work along the way.
Does NJT overnight any trains there, or do they all deadhead to port morris? Would be nice if there were a crew office there they could share. Also there's the 2nd track south of town. IDK if NJT uses it...If not DD could clear up/store equipment there.

IDK...just a guess. Would be nice if they cud get M&M mars to use rail again....Thats a big plant .
No, it will be Washington... Don't think the engines will be out in the open in the yard itself, so I believe the BASF plant is being looked at... BASF currently doesn't receive cars, but the plant there is still operational for some product.
 #1504227  by blocksignal

Hello and thanks to everyone for this information. I plan on trying to catch the NSH02 tomorrow somewhere between Mt. View Wayne and Totowa NJ. It looks like it will be the last chance I get to catch them so hopefully I will get some nice photo shots. I am looking forward to seeing the new power of the shortline taking over that will be serving the Royal Distributors customer on the Totowa Industrial Spur in Totowa. It should be interesting.

Blocksignal.
 #1504253  by R36 Combine Coach

blockline4180 wrote:No, it will be Washington... Don't think the engines will be out in the open in the yard itself, so I believe the BASF plant is being looked at... BASF currently doesn't receive cars, but the plant there is still operational for some product.
The Washington freight yard/team track seems like a good home base though.