Railroad Forums 

• Whippany Railway Museum Official Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#945080  by umtrr-author

Fair use quote from the above citation:
Fast said one unusual project funded this year was $89,500 for restoration of Steam Locomotive 4039 owned by the Whippany Railway Museum.

The locomotive was built as a steam engine in 1942 and converted to an oil-fired engine in 1966. It is listed on he National and New Jersey registers of historic places.

Fast said the trust fund was supporting historic tourism with the grant. The railway museum has 25,000 visitors from April to October, he said.

Great news! And a pleasant surprise given the state of things in my home state. I'm sure this will wind up on some "pork barrel" lists though...
 #954539  by Passaic River Rat

whippany wrote:Steam Locomotive No. 4039 has just been awarded a $89,500. Morris County (NJ) Historic Preservation Trust Fund Grant. A short article can be viewed at: http://morris.patch.com/articles/county ... eservation
I don't begrudge the 4039 getting back on line, but is it really proper to do the wealth redistribution thing? Especially with unemployment what it is?
 #954579  by Ken W2KB

Passaic River Rat wrote:
whippany wrote:Steam Locomotive No. 4039 has just been awarded a $89,500. Morris County (NJ) Historic Preservation Trust Fund Grant. A short article can be viewed at: http://morris.patch.com/articles/county ... eservation
I don't begrudge the 4039 getting back on line, but is it really proper to do the wealth redistribution thing? Especially with unemployment what it is?
Will not the grant funds keep people employed?
 #954665  by whippany

The issue of 4039 benefiting from County (public) funds can be explained by re-reading the various published articles that announced the awarding of the grant.

In a nutshell, Morris County, NJ voters approved a referendum in November 2002 to allow the use of a small portion of County taxes collected for the Open Space Trust Fund to go directly towards County historic preservation projects. Projects that are considered must be within Morris County, and must be listed on both the NJ State and National Registers of Historic Places (on which 4039 is listed). No additional taxes have been levied to fund the preservation awards.

For more info on the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund, go to: http://www.morrispreservation.org/TrustFundInfo.htm and http://www.morrispreservation.org/Histo ... ground.htm

BTW, the NYS&WT&HS fundraiser at P-Burg for 4039 has been rescheduled for Saturday, November 5, 2011.
 #979260  by bigjim4life

Well, I haven't heard anything in a while - how is the restoration coming along? Can anyone provide any updates? I know I'm looking forward to going to the Railfan event in Phillipsburg, I've already bought my ticket for the day. :)
 #979315  by blockline4180

bigjim4life wrote:Well, I haven't heard anything in a while - how is the restoration coming along? Can anyone provide any updates? I know I'm looking forward to going to the Railfan event in Phillipsburg, I've already bought my ticket for the day. :)

I have no inside information at all, but if I were to guess it won't be in service until Fall of 2013 at the earliest!
 #979486  by ErieRailroadFan

blockline4180 wrote:
bigjim4life wrote:Well, I haven't heard anything in a while - how is the restoration coming along? Can anyone provide any updates? I know I'm looking forward to going to the Railfan event in Phillipsburg, I've already bought my ticket for the day. :)

I have no inside information at all, but if I were to guess it won't be in service until Fall of 2013 at the earliest!
If you have no information, why would you post an unfounded guess? The volunteers spent a very busy summer working on many projects including their latest addition to the museum fleet - a beautifully restored CNJ steel caboose. The Pumpkinliners were well attended. Instead of guessing, how about you come down to the museum and lend a hand needle scaling the frame? There's a lot to do and many hands make light work.
 #979508  by blockline4180

ErieRailroadFan wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:

If you have no information, why would you post an unfounded guess? The volunteers spent a very busy summer working on many projects including their latest addition to the museum fleet - a beautifully restored CNJ steel caboose. The Pumpkinliners were well attended. Instead of guessing, how about you come down to the museum and lend a hand needle scaling the frame? There's a lot to do and many hands make light work.

I would, but my weekends are usually booked all Summer and Fall... Maybe in December...Thanks for the offer though!! :-)
 #979541  by Uzi-Cat

ErieRailroadFan wrote:
Easy there kiddo you don't want to pop one of your rivets. Block wasn't knocking anything or trying to make light of the work that is being done. He is adding to an informal conversation, not writing a thesis.
Last edited by Uzi-Cat on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #979558  by ErieRailroadFan

blockline4180 wrote:I would, but my weekends are usually booked all Summer and Fall... Maybe in December...Thanks for the offer though!! :-)
Doubt they'll be much work going on in December with all the Santa Trains that WRM runs.
Uzi-Cat wrote:Easy there kiddo you don't want to pop one of your rivets. Block wasn't knocking anything or trying to make light of the work that is being done. He is adding to an informal conversation, not writing a thesis.
Sorry, Champ but the boiler pressure is fine. Just would like to think people should know what they're talking about, especially moderators. Perhaps I'm too optimistic?
 #979567  by Uzi-Cat

ErieRailroadFan wrote: Perhaps I'm too optimistic?
Man, I haven't been referred to as "champ" since about 30 years ago. My Dad used to call me that all the time. I always wondered what that actually meant but I knew he meant it in a good way.

Obviously, yes you are being too optimistic. Moderators are here to moderate, not to educate the great unwashed like myself or my peers. I come here strictly for rail-buff oriented entertainment, not fact. If I want fact, I will just go directly to the source.
 #979573  by blockline4180

Uzi-Cat wrote:
ErieRailroadFan wrote: Perhaps I'm too optimistic?
Man, I haven't been referred to as "champ" since about 30 years ago. My Dad used to call me that all the time. I always wondered what that actually meant but I knew he meant it in a good way.

Obviously, yes you are being too optimistic. Moderators are here to moderate, not to educate the great unwashed like myself or my peers. I come here strictly for rail-buff oriented entertainment, not fact. If I want fact, I will just go directly to the source.
Thanks for defending me, but the poor chap seems to just have a bad day..... They are all subject to a few now and again...:-)

And as far as the 4039, I know many people who are involved in the project, but I didn't want to sound like I knew what I was talking about, but apparently I get flamed for anything I write now, so there is no purpose in writing at all.... "ErieRailroadFan" obviously doesn't understand that some people aren't available during the weekend as they have more important family and personal issues to attend....Also distance may be a factor as well for some of us "buffs"
 #979584  by Uzi-Cat

blockline4180 wrote: "ErieRailroadFan" obviously doesn't understand that some people aren't available during the weekend as they have more important family and personal issues to attend....Also distance may be a factor as well for some of us "buffs"
Working the extra list I can't even make doctors appointments. To think I once enjoyed the freedom of not being on call 24-7. It was really cool when you could actually make plans and attend functions like this. Actually, I get my fill of the real thing at work. In my free time I end up doing "fun" things like maintaining my yard, house, cars... etc.

Oh yeah, Block, its been a looooong time since you and I were trackside together! :)
 #1133260  by whippany

A few images from December 2012 of No. 4039's new boiler under construction in Colorado. It is supposed to be shipped to NJ at some point during the current Winter season.
A couple more images to follow in the next post.
Attachments:
WRyM 4039 99 Rebuild 12-10-2012 steam dome sm.jpg
WRyM 4039 99 Rebuild 12-10-2012 steam dome sm.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 10558 times
WRyM 4039 93 Rebuild 12-2012 Front end tube sheet sm.jpg
WRyM 4039 93 Rebuild 12-2012 Front end tube sheet sm.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 10558 times
WRyM 4039 91 Rebuild 12-2012 steam dome sm.jpg
WRyM 4039 91 Rebuild 12-2012 steam dome sm.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 10558 times