Railroad Forums 

• Whippany Railway Museum Official Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1133266  by whippany

Here are two more shots of 4039's new boiler under construction...
Attachments:
WRyM 4039 108 Rebuild 12-10-2012 Firebox outer sheets being drilled sm.jpg
WRyM 4039 108 Rebuild 12-10-2012 Firebox outer sheets being drilled sm.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 12693 times
WRyM 4039 98 Rebuild 12-10-2012 boiler shell interior sm.jpg
WRyM 4039 98 Rebuild 12-10-2012 boiler shell interior sm.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 12693 times
 #1134255  by GSC

Not cheap. How much does something like this new boiler cost these days?

The Pine Creek crew looked into new boilers (smaller than this) back in the early 1960s and the money was huge then.

At least this will conform to the recent federal rules, which outlawed so many "antique" and "hobby" boilers.

All thanks to the Gettysburg RR and the Ohio steam tractor boiler failures.
 #1199626  by GP40MC 1116

I am potentially planning a trip this summer/early fall to the Whippany Railway Museum and I would like to get some rolling stock photos of the Morristown & Erie if possible.

I have a few questions I hope some folks can answer for me.

1) Does anyone have a roster listing of all the ex NJT Comet trailer and cab cars that are owned by the M&E or Whippany Railway Museum
2) Would a considerable ammount of this equiptment be located at the musuem or at M&E's shop complex in Morristown
 #1200197  by therudycometh

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I am potentially planning a trip this summer/early fall to the Whippany Railway Museum and I would like to get some rolling stock photos of the Morristown & Erie if possible.

1) Does anyone have a roster listing of all the ex NJT Comet trailer and cab cars that are owned by the M&E or Whippany Railway Museum
2) Would a considerable ammount of this equiptment be located at the musuem or at M&E's shop complex in Morristown
The Whippany Railway Museum's four Comet I coaches (3 trailers and one cab) are the only four that will be publicly accessible on our line, and should be easily viewable at the Whippany grounds. The M&E-owned cars are stored in locations that are not accessible without trespassing, so I very strongly suggest you do not attempt to photograph those without first checking in with the M&E police department in Morristown.

Whippany's four coaches are the three trailers (#1786 "Hanover", #1753 "Morristown", and #1803 "Whippany") and cab car #5119.
 #1202535  by GP40MC 1116

therudycometh wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:I am potentially planning a trip this summer/early fall to the Whippany Railway Museum and I would like to get some rolling stock photos of the Morristown & Erie if possible.

The Whippany Railway Museum's four Comet I coaches (3 trailers and one cab) are the only four that will be publicly accessible on our line, and should be easily viewable at the Whippany grounds. The M&E-owned cars are stored in locations that are not accessible without trespassing, so I very strongly suggest you do not attempt to photograph those without first checking in with the M&E police department in Morristown.

Whippany's four coaches are the three trailers (#1786 "Hanover", #1753 "Morristown", and #1803 "Whippany") and cab car #5119.
Thanks for yor information Rudy. Although the Whippany Musuem is only open on Sundays, so I don't know if photographing those cars on other days would be possible (the ones in Whippany)
 #1202637  by therudycometh

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
therudycometh wrote:

Thanks for yor information Rudy. Although the Whippany Musuem is only open on Sundays, so I don't know if photographing those cars on other days would be possible (the ones in Whippany)
Yes, you can get them any day of the week right at the museum in Whippany. While the museum building is closed, the property is open to the public, and generally there are volunteers there working on the equipment during the week.
 #1238401  by therudycometh

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Just curious, but with the ME 488 and 489 in service in Rockland, how does the Whippany Railway Museum run their Santa Trains (with the Comets) without HEP?
They use some of the private cars with generators under them. Typically, they use the Birken and the Alder Falls to power the three Comets and the Jersey Coast.
 #1264689  by airman00

I have a quick question on the one C1 cab car... I saw a post on facebook that the whippany museum plans on using it as a coach? (And not as a cab car?) Anyone know why? And is the cab operational and functional? Or do the controls not work? The cab car looks great especially with the "tiger stripes" and all. It'd be a shame not to use it as a cab car as that alone (a fully operational C1 cab) would be a HUGE draw! :-)
 #1342927  by Jeff Smith

Hi. Welcome to the "official" Whippany Rail Museum thread. I've merged quite a few threads that related to the museum. Please feel free to contribute here.

Museum website: Whippany Railway Museum
 #1343052  by RichT

airman00 wrote:I have a quick question on the one C1 cab car... I saw a post on facebook that the whippany museum plans on using it as a coach? (And not as a cab car?) Anyone know why? And is the cab operational and functional? Or do the controls not work? The cab car looks great especially with the "tiger stripes" and all. It'd be a shame not to use it as a cab car as that alone (a fully operational C1 cab) would be a HUGE draw! :-)
The "CAB" car was always meant to serve as a Passenger car. For it to Operate as a "CAB" car there is a Remote control "MU" cable that runs the Length of the Consist all the way to a connector on the engine. There is 2 things preventing us doing this. The first is the Jersey coach parlor car was built way before there was MU cables, so it doesn't have one. We installed the wire bundle, but it never had its end connectors installed. But the Main reason is that we have to put a HEP power car at the end of the consist. This is because a single HEP car can't support all the HEAT / AC & Lights for all 6 cars that we normally run. We may be able to do it someday, and as far as we know the CAB controls are completely operational. About 2 years ago we we able to get all the automated doors to operate via the conductor controls. Cab control is something we would like to see, but right now its not possible or practical
 #1343112  by airman00

RichT wrote:
airman00 wrote:I have a quick question on the one C1 cab car... I saw a post on facebook that the whippany museum plans on using it as a coach? (And not as a cab car?) Anyone know why? And is the cab operational and functional? Or do the controls not work? The cab car looks great especially with the "tiger stripes" and all. It'd be a shame not to use it as a cab car as that alone (a fully operational C1 cab) would be a HUGE draw! :-)
The "CAB" car was always meant to serve as a Passenger car. For it to Operate as a "CAB" car there is a Remote control "MU" cable that runs the Length of the Consist all the way to a connector on the engine. There is 2 things preventing us doing this. The first is the Jersey coach parlor car was built way before there was MU cables, so it doesn't have one. We installed the wire bundle, but it never had its end connectors installed. But the Main reason is that we have to put a HEP power car at the end of the consist. This is because a single HEP car can't support all the HEAT / AC & Lights for all 6 cars that we normally run. We may be able to do it someday, and as far as we know the CAB controls are completely operational. About 2 years ago we we able to get all the automated doors to operate via the conductor controls. Cab control is something we would like to see, but right now its not possible or practical
Thank you for the response! It's good to hear that someday it'll be used as a cab car.
 #1343501  by whippany

3454 163 8-4-2015.jpg
3454 163 8-4-2015.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
The restoration of DL&W MU Subscription Club Car is a long-term project. The Whippany Railway Museum http://www.WhippanyRailwayMuseum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is utilizing the services of Star Trak, Inc. located at the URHS restoration facility in Boonton, NJ. Currently all of the earlier paint layers have been removed and the carbody and roof are now coated in primer paint. The lower, rotted portions of steel along the bottom and ends of the car have been cut out and refitted with new metal work. Repairs were made to a minor leak in a portion of the copper-clad roof. Steps and vestibule platforms are in the process of being rebuilt. Museum volunteers have removed all window frames, and they have been refurbished and fitted with new glazing. A notable feature of No. 2454's original 1912 construction is the stained-glass window panels above each large passenger window. Some time after the 1930 rebuild of the car for electric MU service, the stained-glass windows were plated over to give the car a more “modern” appearance. Museum volunteers removed all the plating and found that the original 1912-era wood framing and stained glass panels were still in place and intact. The wooden frames for the stained-glass unfortunately did not age well and were all removed and have been totally re-fabricated.

As for the interior, which is in remarkably good condition considering the three decades of non-maintenance and exposure to vandalism and the elements, WRyM staff have cleared the car of all carpeting and debris. Volunteers have already begun restoration of the interior of the car, including all woodwork, ceiling panels, light fixtures, seating, etc. The Club Car will eventually move to its new home at Whippany, NJ once Star Trak completes its part of the restoration process. Operation on the Museum's excursion trains is still a good two years away.

Three images attached showing the recent progress so far.
Attachments:
3454 170 8-11-2015.jpg
3454 170 8-11-2015.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
3454 165 8-11-2015.jpg
3454 165 8-11-2015.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 11446 times
 #1355821  by whippany

Whippany Railway Museum's former Southern Railway No. 385 "out on the line" today at Whippany. Nov. 3, 2015.
Attachments:
WRyM 385 Whippany Nov. 3, 2015 SPH.jpg
WRyM 385 Whippany Nov. 3, 2015 SPH.jpg (390.85 KiB) Viewed 10645 times
 #1378431  by whippany

Santa Claus Special Cancellation Notice

During the past 24 years, the Volunteer Members have been running the Santa Claus Special trains. At this time, we want to notify our loyal customers that we will not be operating this popular ride during the 2016 Holiday season

The Morristown & Erie Railway will be running their own Polar Express trains. Tickets should be on sale via their internet site sometime in mid-summer.

We suggest that you send all inquiries to [email protected]

If you have ordered tickets for the Whippany Railway Museum Santa Claus Special, a refund will be issued back to your credit card by April 8 ,2016.

We hope that you will continue to support the Whippany Railway Museum’s future train rides and events.

The volunteers at the Whippany Railway Museum
Attachments:
Whippany Santa 1 sm.jpg
Whippany Santa 1 sm.jpg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 9398 times