Railroad Forums 

• Whippany Railway Museum Official Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#859181  by Donko142

If you like cabooses stop by the Musuem, they have around 10 or more on site, most in beautiful condition, here's another example. In D&H form ! The interiors are all as nice as the outside, will look for some pics.

#859359  by Otto Vondrak

The photos of the other equipment are indeed nice, but let's please stick to the topic of 4039 returning to steam. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss the WRM in general...

-otto-
 #860023  by Donko142

It's getting down to just a boiler, air pumps, piping, flues, rods, cab and so on are off or out at this point. The Boiler will be lifted onto a flat bed for shipment to CO shortly. Still looking for donations of any amount, and some more volunteer help. Can you step up to the plate for this piece of NJ history ??

Thanks DC

#863381  by Donko142

The start of the new steam shop close to the locomotive in Whippany is underway. One can see the many locomotive parts around, rods, flues and so on. The machine shop is really starting to take form.

#863501  by airman00

I just saw this thread, that's great that an old steam engine will be brought back to service! :-D Perhaps in the future the #385 can be next and the two can idle side by side a proud example of what railroads once were!
 #863628  by X4401

The steam shop pictured, is that a WRM shop, a paid contractor, or something else? That's good news if they got their own volunteer machine shop. Captain Aubrey once said "it should be as easy to find steam parts as a honest man in Parliment."
 #863835  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:I just saw this thread, that's great that an old steam engine will be brought back to service! :-D Perhaps in the future the #385 can be next and the two can idle side by side a proud example of what railroads once were!
Geez! One multi-million dollar restoration at a time, k?
 #870494  by Donko142

Hello All,

Today, Wednesday, November 10th, No. 4039 left Whippany for the first time since 1996, and was towed to the M&E shops. Here she will undergo further dismantling, and about a week from now, her boiler will be lifted off the frame and loaded onto a truck bound for rehab in Colorado. The frame will be transferred onto the waiting flatcar (supplied by the M&E), and that will return to Whippany where Museum volunteers will work on the frame (help is needed and welcome.The driving wheels will also be loaded onto a outgoing truck for rehab as well.

DC

#874498  by Donko142

The boiler was lifted off of it's frame on Monday, it's making a trip to C.O. for a complete rebuild. Wheels, boxes, shoes, wedges, springs and so much more are on there way to M.I. Some to the contractors shop and some to the 261 shop.
The frame will be stored in Morristown for volunteers to work on clean and repair over the winter/spring along with the tender tank.

Be Safe DC

#901572  by james1787

I'm glad to see work has started!

I wish I had the time to pitch in and help, but work and other commitments don't allow (I'm spread out thin enough as it is!) I'll definitely check out the "buy-a-bolt" program. I think it's great that work finally has begun and I am looking forward to rides on it in the upcoming future!
 #939092  by whippany

The folks at the New York, Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society http://www.nyswths.org will be operating a special fundraising event to benefit the Whippany Railway Museum's http://www.WhippanyRailwayMuseum.net Steam Locomotive No. 4039, which is currently being rehabbed for a return to full operation.

The event will be held on Saturday, August 6, 2011 at the NYS&WT&HS' Phillipsburg, NJ site. 100% of the proceeds from the event will go towards the 4039 restoration project. Many of the key people at both NYS&WT&HS and WRyM volunteered together on the Morris County Central Railroad at both Whippany and Newfoundland, NJ in the 1960's and 1970's. No. 4039 (ex-US Army ALCO 1942) ran in MCC excursion service with stablemate No. 385 (an ex-Southern Railway Baldwin 2-8-0 built in 1907), also preserved at WRyM.

Plans include unlimited rides on the Delaware River Railroad Excursion train, photo run-bys, a picnic, night photo session, and a tour of the Friends of the New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center's 1913 Triple Expansion Steam Pumping Engine at P-Burg.

For full details and how to purchase tickets, go to: http://877trainride.com/4039.htm or: http://www.WhippanyRailwayMuseum.net/in ... team-train