Railroad Forums 

• ROW in Fairfield?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1472203  by MaRoFu

If you look closely on Google Earth there appears to be a ROW heading through Fairfield.

It starts at some sand plant near I-80, if you go down to where Horseneck Road goes under I-80 you'll notice some wide opening looking east from the road. The ROW is hard to trace through this area, but it probably curved east then ran diagonally south, where the houses are. The ROW then appears again and seems to cross Route 46 before also crossing Fairfield Road near the American Red Cross building. If you go to this very spot you can find an old telephone pole facing diagonally. The ROW passes through some industrial areas (which may have had rail service) and then runs along the northern reaches of Essex County Airport. After crossing a busy road (forgot what it was called) the ROW runs along a ridge before disappearing in a set of condos in Little Falls (?) The ROW becomes very hard to trace from here, it likely heads to a now unnoticeable junction with the Montclair-Boonton Line. If anyone knows anything about this ROW or if it was even used for rail or not, a response would be appreciated.

I recall trying to investigate the ROW via Historic Aerials, but finding nothing of interest. Maybe I was wrong?
 #1472386  by pdtrains

Looks like it had a connect to the Erie Greenwood Lake br just west of Little Falls. Have to check old emp tt's. Old topo maps show nothing. 1987 is oldest satellite aerial. Not much to go on as it is not a great pic.
 #1472778  by Greg

Looks like a drainage culvert on Historic Aerials' 1972 and older topos.
 #1472946  by cjvrr

I think you are seeing a combination of drainage ditches and right of ways for underground utilities.

I have never heard of or seen any evidence of any rail line being in that area.