Railroad Forums 

• CHEX 18 in Carlstadt NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1469504  by Snowmojoe

I am curious if anyone has some back story on this covered hopper - CHEX 18, marooned on an old siding in an industrial park in Carlstadt, NJ. Norfolk Southern switches the local active customers by way of the NJT Pascack Valley line. The switch to get into this industrial park is right by Wood-RIdge NJT station.

If you look at the attached image "CHEX-18-1" (these are from Google Maps, but I have seen this car myself and have shots of it) - to the left is where the NJT main is, but up the street from the location of this car, the tracks are covered over and no longer usable, so this thing is stuck here. A few things about this car are amusing to me:

1) It's reporting mark is "CHEX". I mean, c'mon. (Chemplex/Equistar Chemicals, it seems.) I'm guessing they had a plant in the area at some point, perhaps.
2) If you look close at the CHEX-18-1 file, there are a few dozen records stuck in the side. Old school, 12" 33 1/3 RPM records. What sort of coating is on the outside of this car that is so thick that these records would be able to be embedded in it? And who are these people who have so little to do they are throwing old records at a stranded railcar? (Says the guy asking questions about a stranded railcar...)
3) How long has this car been here? It seems strange that it was never pulled out of here before the siding became inactive, but that may not have been a planned event, I guess.

If anyone has any info on the origins/demise of this car, I find myself curiously interested.
 #1469597  by chuxter26

That car was used to store plastic pellets for Manhattan Products - which manufactured soap products.....
 #1469608  by R&DB

chuxter26 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm

That car was used to store plastic pellets for Manhattan Products - which manufactured soap products.....
Makes sense. Plastic for packaging the soap products.