Railroad Forums 

• Notice Sign on Port Reading/West Avenues

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1468986  by umtrr-author

For those of you who live in the Carteret/Port Reading/Sewaren area...

Along Port Reading Avenue where it intersects West Avenue, there is a rather large green sign with rather small print that has been up for a couple of months now.

I didn't think much of it until my last trip past it, when I thought I caught the phrase "parking rail cars" or something like that about halfway down the sign. I wasn't able to stop that day to photograph it and I haven't been back to the area since then.

Does anybody know what this sign is about? I suspect it might be another "how dare you park your trains behind my house even though I knew there were tracks there when I moved in." Which has been going on at least since my family moved into Carteret in 1969...
 #1469232  by Sir Ray

This sign, perhaps - Google street view? (Hoping that view link works correctly and points right at the sign)
That sign refers to a town meeting in May 2017, and although it's hard to clearly read apparently refers to Conrail's request to install a new switch and trackage on the property of the old tie plant in Port Reading.