Railroad Forums 

• Ironbound area local freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1467724  by Ken W2KB

chuchubob wrote:
GojiMet86 wrote:Is PATH included as well?
PATH still effectively has a photo ban. Photography on PATH property is permitted only with prior authorization and with a PATH employee accompanying the photographer.
Agreed, but there is no enforceable restriction if the photographer remains on public property such as a sidewalk, or on private property with permission of the property owner or tenant if leased, near the outdoor operations.
 #1487282  by ccutler

I had a chance to drive through Port Newark last night. All the warehouses are gone! They are replaced by ever-expanding container terminals. Only 3 consignees remain: the chemical plant, the SYMS, and one other tank car shipper. I had read somewhere that the warehouse business was being shifted to the warehouses in Bayonne but haven't checked that out yet. The grain transload is probably relocated to the site where the RVL comes into the NE Corridor in Newark. I see grain cars there whenever I am on the RVL.
 #1487328  by rr503

ccutler wrote:I had a chance to drive through Port Newark last night. All the warehouses are gone! They are replaced by ever-expanding container terminals. Only 3 consignees remain: the chemical plant, the SYMS, and one other tank car shipper. I had read somewhere that the warehouse business was being shifted to the warehouses in Bayonne but haven't checked that out yet. The grain transload is probably relocated to the site where the RVL comes into the NE Corridor in Newark. I see grain cars there whenever I am on the RVL.
Some customers -- P Judge comes to mind -- moved to facilities along the PJR in Greenville. Others I think just packed up and left altogether -- I've heard Lehigh Valley environs as a common destination. I think it's important to keep in mind that what was many of those facilities' business model (transloading 40' ocean containers into boxcars) is becoming increasingly unsustainable save for the heaviest of products -- RR loose car service is sh*t, and intermodal is, well, better.

Which site do you mean along the RVL? One of those areas near Parkview Yard?
 #1487386  by ccutler

Frelinghuysen Ave and Peddie St is a good reference point. Grain, lumber, and scrap get unloaded there, and vegetable oil and whatever else from the Irvington branch go through there as well.
 #1487557  by Joseph DeLuisi

At Parkview Yard in Newark which is near the DMV on Frelinghuysen Ave & E.Peddie St. There is a small team track there and a produce company called M.Bross (they're on Miller St in Newark) receives a reefer car there a couple of times a week and they transload it onto a few of their trucks. The 0I-10 works the yard, a large lumber facility in back of the DMV, and a recycling place on Frelinghuysen Ave called AMG Resources. The 01-10 works the Irvington/Hillside Industrial Track, there are several customers on the branch, Oasis Foods in Hillside is the largest.
 #1487723  by ccutler

Yes Joseph, and saw a reefer car on that siding yesterday ;-).
Only add to your note is that the grain transloader is now a busy customer there, transloading grain into ocean containers.
 #1487897  by ccutler

No but it is clearly visible from the RV Line train. They use a tractor with a coupler welded to the plow to move the cars back and forth.
 #1487970  by Joseph DeLuisi

Do you by any chance know the name of the grain company? Also, there is a recycling facility called G&F Recycling, AKA Giordano that also might receive rail service, I happened to notice a TrackMobile on their property. They're located just south of the large lumber yard who also is a rail service user.
 #1488675  by Joseph DeLuisi

No, that's AMG Resources, just south of E.Peddie St and Parkview Yard. Giordano's is on Frelinghuysen a little bit south of Poiner St and the big lumber shipper, they have a Track Mobile so they must use the rail, why would they have a Track Mobile if they didn't use the rail now or in the past? Also CC do you know the grain companies name? And is that paper company in Irvington still utilize rail and Manufacturer Reserve Lumber also in Irvington? I know that both have sidings and have used the rail in the past. Thank you.
 #1488688  by ccutler

don't know, regretfully. Others have better knowledge of the Irvington branch.
I like to use maps.google.com to see how things looked 2 years ago. Google does not yet show the grain shipping activity.
 #1493381  by Joseph DeLuisi

Yes it is Manufacturers Reserve Lumber & Building Supply on Woolsey St in Irvington on the Irvington/Hillside Industrial Branch that receives boxcars. This was confirmed by company management.