Railroad Forums 

• Black River & W. affiliate to replace M&E ops Morris County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1456481  by blockline4180

brwfan wrote:I'm not sure which way is which but it's on the same side as abc supply. One siding on each side of the tracks. If you go on Google Street view one of our trucks is dropping off fill dirt. That's going to be the shorter one. I was told 1500 ft and 700 ft long respectively
Great, thanks.
 #1456816  by bk77

Thanks to all with the responses on the CSX/Harrison traffic. I had been curious how the county line customers were managing who had gotten their cars through Harrison with the M&E, especially Kuiken Bros. in Succasunna who I believe got most if not all their traffic from CSX.
 #1485201  by badorder

Tomorrow,Sat. 8th is the dedication of Dover & Rockaway River Eng. 1823 honoring New Jersey Veterans at 12noon, East Main St. Succasunna. The public is invited, this ties in with the
the annual Town Festival. The Tri-State group is having free caboose trips on the Chester Branch, starting at 10:00am.
 #1487452  by WhartonAndNorthern

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so I'll put it here:

My town's Facebook page recently shared a press release for hearings on relocating the connection between the D&R and the M&E. With all customers over on Green Pond Road, they'd like to abandon the stretch through Wharton and Dover and connect to the M&E east of Dover.

Press release: https://morriscountynj.gov/2018/09/oct- ... -proposal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Project page (sparse info): http://doverrailstudy.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There does seem to be an abandoned right of way in the area but I'm not sure if it's still available (per sat photos)
 #1489382  by ccutler

Then what about the shipper C&M Metals? Are they giving up on new business?

For that matter, why don't the just rip up the whole line and build a transload facility just east of Dover yard? With the cost savings they could subsidize drayage and transload costs and come out ahead.

Railroads need railroaders who believe in their business.
 #1489930  by WhartonAndNorthern

Is Polaner Foods (B&G) in Roselamd still served by the M&E?
The M&E still owns and operates their section of track from Whippany to Roesland. They no longer hold the contract to operate the Morris County-owned track (Dover & Rockaway, Chester Branch, High Bridge Line). Check in M&E's forum for current operations details.
 #1512831  by Sir Ray

Hmm, from that link to the past ("M&E Reports 13 Percent Freight Increase in 2014"):
Most railroads also don't operate three county-owned rail lines that come up for bid every few years. Releasing car counts would make it much easier for other railroads to bid (because they would be able to calculate their potential revenues and costs and whatnot). Omitting the car counts from our press release was a calculated decision. Not that we think there is going to be competition for the bids, but we certainly don't want to encourage it
Well, guess that trick didn't pan out too well in the event...
 #1512844  by pdtrains

Wellllllllllll........based on average eyeball count , would we agree that the state owned lines average maybe 15 cars a week? A 16% increase is about 17 cars a week. Now, the question is.....if they are moving 2 more loads a week...is that newly generated traffic, or just a normal fluctuation in business among their consignees. And what timeframes are they comparing? Fiscal 2017 to fiscal 2018 ? (they started state owned line ops in July, 2017, iirc.)

If they are handling 100 more cars a year, I hope its something new, not just "housing starts are up" , or worse...tariffs are up, and we are counting that as a gain...