Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May New Jersey Seashore Lines Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1490823  by RailsEast

Thanks for the update, Ben, and I'll ask the inevitable question....do they need 3 units down there, or are they gearing up for something else a little farther north in 2019?
Chris
 #1490859  by liftedjeep

Chris, while taking pictures in Tuckahoe, I was told that the excursions would still utilize two of the Geeps, and that the third was acquired to help out with freight.
Kinda vague, but that was the response I recieved. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Ben
 #1493071  by nomis

The Vista Valley observation car is now listed on the CMSL website as New this season. They are selling seats in both the observation lounge and drawing rooms.
 #1499057  by dlagrua

I am pleased to hear that the CMSL is thriving on the northern end. As for the southern end to Cape May, this might be old news but it seems like we will never see service on that segment ever again. From what I noticed last month, Lower Township (South of Rio Grande) has apparently paved over the ROW. and turned a portion into a bike trail . The CMSL certainly did what it could to save the service but in the end was a day late and a dollar short.
 #1499061  by hutton_switch

dlagrua wrote:I am pleased to hear that the CMSL is thriving on the northern end. As for the southern end to Cape May, this might be old news but it seems like we will never see service on that segment ever again. From what I noticed last month, Lower Township (South of Rio Grande) has apparently paved over the ROW. and turned a portion into a bike trail . The CMSL certainly did what it could to save the service but in the end was a day late and a dollar short.
I will fondly remember the ONE time I was able to get on the CMSL RDCs at the Cape May station, cross the swing bridge over the canal, and go to the Cape May County Zoo and return with my wife and young son many years ago. Sad that an era in this region of CMSL operations has seemingly come to an end. But may I ask if Tony Macrie was ever notified by the township that they were going to pave over the ROW? And who tore up what tracks were turned into a bike trail? Can you say specifically where what tracks were torn up, if that was done?
 #1499063  by glennk419

dlagrua wrote:I am pleased to hear that the CMSL is thriving on the northern end. As for the southern end to Cape May, this might be old news but it seems like we will never see service on that segment ever again. From what I noticed last month, Lower Township (South of Rio Grande) has apparently paved over the ROW. and turned a portion into a bike trail . The CMSL certainly did what it could to save the service but in the end was a day late and a dollar short.
There is a bike trail south of Rio Grande on the old PRR ROW which runs adjacent to the CMSL. Are you sure that is not what you saw? The CMSL tracks are out of service but not abandoned. In fact, a brand new grade crossing was just installed a couple years ago with the reconfiguration of Tabernacle Road in Erma. Middle Township has been the nemesis of the CMSL down that way but not Lower to the best of my knowledge.
 #1499077  by liftedjeep

The line to Cape May is owned by NJ Transit and leased to Cape May Seashore Lines. A lease that expires July 31, 2029. Wouldn't any type of modification to the line that would otherwise impede rail traffic (not taking into account the damaged portion or severe overgrowth) violate the lease?

Ben
 #1499103  by blockline4180

liftedjeep wrote:The line to Cape May is owned by NJ Transit and leased to Cape May Seashore Lines. A lease that expires July 31, 2029. Wouldn't any type of modification to the line that would otherwise impede rail traffic (not taking into account the damaged portion or severe overgrowth) violate the lease?

Ben

I would think! And I would think Tony should be aware of any modifications done, and if he isn't then hopefully someone can make him aware... Beyond that, I don't know what else can be done to reverse it...
The "powers that be" in Middle Township are quite the obstructionists when it comes to the railroad.. I'm sure the pockets are probably lined to keep Tony off.
 #1499188  by glennk419

Does not sound good for the Wildwood Junction train station. Admittedly, the station is in very rough shape and has been neglected and abused for many years.

Fair use quote:
Demolition ordered for collapsing Middle Township train station
https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/cur ... 74969.html