Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1464501  by R&DB

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, SA-31 will probably outlaw before dawn and since they usually run out of Browns in the other direction on Friday, there may be a re-crew or another crew will run west on Friday.
 #1464508  by NJT4149

SA-38 should be on board right now... Apparently they were recrewing in Shrewsbury
 #1464512  by RailsEast

Interesting development; SA-31 is stopped at MP40.6 in Shrewsbury (Shrewsbury Ave grade crossing), headlight out, possible crew change about to happen. If crew signed on at 1200 hours, this would make sense. If new crew does come aboard, then return run should take place early am Friday.....
Chris
 #1464519  by R&DB

Chris said:
then return run should take place early am Friday.....
Yep, 3 in 8 out. Quick trip if all 3 are Woodhaven.
 #1464526  by RailsEast

On the move at 10:22 in the pm from Shrewsbury Ave, CSX 4429 shf with 2 Woodhavens & 1 gon.....
 #1464539  by David

R&DB wrote:David said:
[quoteThis project, from what I have been told, will be a Conrail endeavor. ]
So that appears to be Conrail property?
And un-related, David what station is that on your avatar? Looks like CNJ construction.[/quote]

That is the Mount Ephraim station on the Grenloch Branch. A Reading Railroad station. There will be a three track crossing at Union Avenue.
 #1464552  by R&DB

David said
There will be a three track crossing at Union Avenue.
2 for the Southern and 1 for the TRIT I assume. That would mean they may mean to re-connect the TRIT.
 #1464560  by R&DB

I wonder if they made it back to Browns before the morning NJT rush or did they tie down at Patterson Ave or in the NJT Red Bank yard?
 #1464580  by CR7876

Hello all, some observations from someone you knew, who wants to stay anonymous for now.

MP 66 is west/south of Union Ave by about 5-10 feet, or at least the physical milepost was. It lined up against the fence on the opposite side of the Post Office. The crossing has Conrail listed on the blue plates as the owner.

So far the NJSL has not built anything new, or removed anything that was there, they have just rebuilt everything that was already there. This includes the crossover west of the Union Branch bridge. This along with the track removal east of Union Ave grade crossing by Conrail back in 2003 might be a problem, as now the passing siding which also got rehabbed is basically useless. One of the easiest ways to rectify this problem would be during the crossing rehab place a switch in on either side of the crossing to connect to the old passing siding, or swing the current "Main" over to the siding so that the rehabbed crossovers make useable passing siding. The current set up puzzles me becasue it would not be condusive to the traffic that is "rumored" to coming.

A loop track at Woodmancie is not really needed. The old loop came off the main and followed the main some distance and then started looping off another switch. If Clayton wanted to save some money they could just build a simple double ended siding (the switch on the main is already rebuild) and load the cars off the siding.

While i remain optimistic that this project will turn a wheel, there is still alot of work that needs to be done on both sides of the railroad.
 #1465022  by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the continued weekly updates on the SA31.

And some interesting info on the Southern and the line below Lakehurst. Since the train currently doesn't go past Lakehurst anymore, I can't remember the last time I went through town. With the disclosure of grade crossing rehab, I will definitely check it out.

I did check out the redone Route 539 grade crossing in Whiting yesterday. That crossing being rebuilt and re-established was a key factor, to me, in this project being real and gaining some momentum. Seeing the track all connected at the crossing and the crossing having flashers with gates we something positive. Those following this thread over all these years know how long sand trains returning to some degree have been discussed over and over again. Still staying positive though!
 #1465295  by RailsEast

CSX 4429 shf + 10, approaching Maxwell Rd in Eatontown at 4:10 in the pm. Looks like 9 for Woodhaven and one gon. Beautiful new CSX boxcar right behind the power....