Railroad Forums 

• Hurricane sandy updates...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1104253  by TAMR213

NJTArrow2 wrote:Is east going towards NY or Trenton?
East = North (towards NYC)
West = South (towards Trenton)
 #1104555  by CR8070

11:15 HRS Saturday 11/10/12- WPOI-08 heading south on the NEC toward the Jamesburg Branch (headed for Browns Yard) with CSXT SD40-2 #8886 (SD45-2 car body) leading. Currently a pair of light engines -- not sure where they're taking their pickup at Browns.
 #1104841  by TAMR213

trainspot wrote:Today's eastbound with NS 9801 leading:
NS 9801

And CSX 8886 trailing:
CSX 8886
Awesome catch, hoping to be able to get out and see it for myself one of these next few days.

Any idea what the middle unit was? Looks like NS 8856. Also, any guess on how many cars?
 #1105001  by TAMR213

trainspot wrote:Thanks! Middle unit was NS 8853, it passed me around 410PM and car count was 87!
Wow, again, very nice.
 #1105054  by TAMR213

Browns transfer west through Highland Park at 12:30, no engine numbers or car count, but it had to be 50+...
 #1105358  by Erie Limited

TAMR213 wrote:Browns transfer west through Highland Park at 12:30, no engine numbers or car count, but it had to be 50+...
I counted 80 cars on today's OI-8. Here is a photo of the train passing through Edison:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=414585

The consist was:
CSXT 8886
NS 8853
NS 9801

OI-8 had to cross over from track 3 to track 1 (shoving east) at Midway to get in the clear on the Amboy Secondary, tying up the Corridor for a bit. At least two trains (one NJT and one AMTK) were held in the process. SA-3 met OI-8 on the Amboy Secondary and the hand-off was made once OI-8 was clear of the NEC. OI-8 then returned to Lane light.

Rob
 #1105372  by TAMR213

Erie Limited wrote:
TAMR213 wrote:Browns transfer west through Highland Park at 12:30, no engine numbers or car count, but it had to be 50+...
I counted 80 cars on today's OI-8. Here is a photo of the train passing through Edison:

The consist was:
CSXT 8886
NS 8853
NS 9801

OI-8 had to cross over from track 3 to track 1 (shoving east) at Midway to get in the clear on the Amboy Secondary, tying up the Corridor for a bit. At least two trains (one NJT and one AMTK) were held in the process. SA-3 met OI-8 on the Amboy Secondary and the hand-off was made once OI-8 was clear of the NEC. OI-8 then returned to Lane light.

Rob
Awesome shot! I saw the last half of this train just a few minutes later haha... And confirms what my Father, who saw the train while out for a bike ride, told me (80 cars, and the power).

With NJT looking to restore and increase service on the NJCL, does anyone have any idea how much longer these trains will be running? Apparently it looked awesome going over the Raritan River Viaduct, and I think this might be the shot I try to get sometime over the next few days. In addition, the power on these trains has been impressive, and usually doesn't even run into Browns, anyone with an idea as to the reason? Also, 80+ cars seems like an awful lot! Good to see.

EDIT: Also, I thought I heard at least the motive power head back east later in the evening. I think some days they have been operating 2 trains a day (one each direction) but am not sure if they still are... can anyone provide any insight?
 #1106243  by acelaphillies

Erie Limited wrote:

The consist was:
CSXT 8886
NS 8853
NS 9801

Rob
Sweet shot Rob! I saw this shot on Railpictures.net before I saw your post here. Definitely one of the biggest freights I have seen on the modern-day NEC!
 #1107000  by GSC

What a picture!

This shot should be required reading for every photography student. It's perfect.
 #1107447  by TAMR213

No idea what it was or what direction, but a VERY long and loud train with some throaty diesels just went through Highland Park, sounded possibly eastbound. Possibly the Browns transfer?