• South Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Railcar1

I find that a little hard to believe because money is the bottom line of everything.
  by AceMacSD

jdh823 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 am
AceMacSD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am Not much work down there but there’s potential for growth if done right.
Unfortunately with the current guys that run the SRNJ, it'll stay stagnant.
Change may be coming...
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 am I had talked with a retired member of the SRNJ about those trains. He said the asphalt place that was getting the cars had a management change, and the new management wants nothing to do with trains at all, despite any financial benefits.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
Rail doesn’t always suit everyone's needs.
  by Railcar1

AceMacSD wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:28 am
jdh823 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 am
AceMacSD wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am Not much work down there but there’s potential for growth if done right.
Unfortunately with the current guys that run the SRNJ, it'll stay stagnant.
Change may be coming...
Not soon enough for all the decline that’s occurred over the years. Not that all of it was the railroad’s fault but still.
  by JohnFromJersey

What's even left in SRNJ territory that could be a potential rail customer?
  by greyhairedpete

"Change may be coming".....

Well, that answer will certainly stoke the rumor mill! :wink:
  by jdh823

AceMacSD wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:28 am
Change may be coming...
Hope so. I've heard of several other interested suitors that approached SRNJ but they didn't want the business. That mindset is not sustainable
  by JohnFromJersey

It does seem like SMS has been operating far more excursion trains than freight trains on that line. But why make a fuss about it?
  by jdh823

The excursions are a good thing IMO. Might be the biggest reason why the line was fixed up as well as some "additions". Freight on that portion is super tough to drum up as it's all rural.

I'm confident they can get something though
  by Bracdude181

During my last few visits I asked some of the guys there if they had any plans for freight and they said they were in talks with people about it. Mainly Mannington Mills in Salem though I'm not sure if they've started getting service.

Plus I'm pretty sure SMS would be more willing to do freight than SRNJ was towards the end.

Speaking of SRNJ, I would hope they can turn things around on the Pleasantville IT. Alot of the poor decision making that has taken place since the passing of the former owner, as I understand it, has been the fault of his replacement. The aforementioned gentleman I spoke with said this is indeed the case...

Also whatever happened to the company that's supposed to be leasing some of the Pleasantville IT so they can do transloading or something? Their website is still up but it mentions nothing about what they've been wanting to do down there...

by Railcar1

jdh823 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 am In other news...

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com ... 08282.pdf

Seems like Pilesgrove does not like how SMS is operating the Salem Branch.
Haha, comical. The county owns that half of the line and the railroads are federally regulated. It’s really none of their business. If anything that brings people in that otherwise wouldn’t be there. That line will have a hard time ever seeing new freight business because it’s too close to other lines, especially the Penns Grove line. It was left for dead before SMS took over.
  by jdh823

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:16 pm Also whatever happened to the company that's supposed to be leasing some of the Pleasantville IT so they can do transloading or something? Their website is still up but it mentions nothing about what they've been wanting to do down there...

They actually filed a "feeder line" application into the STB this week for taking over a portion of the Wilmington & Western, but in the next 2 days they withdrew it.
  by Bracdude181

@Railcar1 I absolutely agree. Much better off now under SMS and the railroad has been bringing people to the area, myself included despite living over 70 miles away.
  by Railcar1

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:29 am @Railcar1 I absolutely agree. Much better off now under SMS and the railroad has been bringing people to the area, myself included despite living over 70 miles away.
Correct but in all fairness, SRNJ only ran the line after US Rail was given the boot By Salem Co until a more permanent operator could be found. It’s not like anyone else wanted that line.