Railroad Forums 

• Medford Branch action

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#5743  by OHanrahan

On Sunday, there appeared to be a couple of box cars resting on the Medford branch. I only saw this from the fellsway and didn't get a good look. anybody know what was afoot?

#6105  by GP40MC1118

Reefers for a cold storage warehouse...

BO-1 went out there last Sunday with 1 load.

Dave

#6393  by Stephen

Dave,
It must be killing GRS to have a spur that long with just one occassional customer. Same thing with the spur on the eastern side of the Lowell to Boston route (on the Wilmington/Woburn line). One customer and that one must have twice the trackage of the Medford branch.
Stephen

#6463  by ceo

That's nothing compared to the Watertown Branch. One customer and they have to come all the way in from Ayer to get to it (though there's another customer nearby, near Alewife). Plus the track is in such bad shape they're limited to something like 3mph, and still manage to put it on the ground on a regular basis. I have personally witnessed the train being outrun by a 5-year-old on a bike with training wheels.

#6587  by CSX Conductor

Stephen, most sidings are maintained by the customer via a railway maintanence contractor. ie, if the train derails because of wide-gauge, the customer is responsible for track repairs. This track to the freezer in Medford might not be the case, but you never know.

as far as Watertown, you've gotta love creep'n down FRA Excepted track !!!! LOL

#9211  by Stephen

Dave, Michael,
There is a lot of trackage on that spur in Wilimington, is Wilmington Cold Storage the only customer back in there?
Thanks,
Stephen

#9407  by b&m 1566

Well a little off the subjected but I personally think that Guilford is very cheep and maybe walking on thin ice with the FRA standards. Example the old Manchester Lawrence Branch..... it as been abandoned since 1984 because of the tracks deteriorating but the line was kept in use from Lawrence, MA to Salem, NH. The rest of the line was filed for abandonment in 1999 after the FRA said that Guilford needed to repair the tracks if they were to continue using them. Guilford did not want to repair the tracks and got the approval to stop all operations on the line instead of rebuilding it and rain the last train in the summer of 2001. Although there was only one customer in Salem, NH that used about 5 or 6 Hopper Cars once every 2 to 3 weeks or so, they left the company stranded. Why did Guilford not try to look for more customers on the line to off set the cost? Yes the MBTA owns the tracks from Lawrence to the NH, MA state line but I don't think the MBTA would put money into something they don't even use; it would have to be Guilford. Guilford owns the entire line in Salem, NH and the state of NH and other private owners, own the rite of way from the Salem, NH and Windham, NH town line via Manchester.
Another example is the line form Portsmouth, NH to Hampton, NH I have heard and seen from my own eyes that the line is so bad that in some areas the spikes are missing because the ties are so rotten that they can't hold the spikes anymore. I for myself have seen it because I was at the old Hampton RR station (in that area only not the entire line) and I saw the missing spikes, there were 3 ties with in 25 feet or so that did not have any spikes at all the ties were just sitting there under the still in use part of the rail line (although close to the end). They do, do a good job keeping the brush clear on the line unlike they did for the line in Salem. It’s been about 2 years since I have been at the Hampton Depot so they may have fixed the line a little bit since then. That line sees about 6 Hopper Cars I believe once every week or 2.
Another example although not as important is the spur that runs into downtown Lowell, MA off of the Lowell Branch. Although Guilford does not operate on the spur any more and the line as since been disconnected from the Lowell branch Guilford still owns the tracks and they lease it out to the National Historical Park so the Park can operate there trolleys on the line. I just found this out today on 4-3-04 from one of the trolley drivers that the ties are so Rotten near the Lowell High school that the trolleys are going to start derailing in that area very soon. Under the contract Guilford is suppose to maintain the tracks for them and they have not been doing that since Guilford stopped using the spur in I believe 1986 or 1988. The Park is trying to buy the tracks from Guilford but I don’t know if it already happened or not. (Just want to point out for anyone interested that’s in the area: the Lowell trolleys have been halted on there season opener for the 2004 operating season, because the transformer that powers the trolleys has FRIED and it's going to take 6 to 8 weeks to fix it. The transformer is currently in West Virginia and its going to cost $50,000 to fix it *includes shipping*. As some may know the trolleys operate from March - November but this year they may not start running again till sometime in May.)

#9855  by eriemike

I remember back about 4 or 5 years ago, GRS moved a closed hopper car to Pantedosi Bakery in Malden. They would come in once a week. The spur line came off the Western division, cames across Commercial Street and next to their bakery. This spur is not that far from the Medford Branch and one would assume that while they are tending to the Medford Branch, they would deal with Pandedosi.

I know that after awhile they stopped shipping by rail and started to use trucks. This was due to the costs thinking it was cheaper, but boy did the truck traffic increase. After about 6 or 7 months of this they went back to Guilford. One hopper would last the whole week. I do not know if GRS is still delivering the hopper to Pantedosi to this day though. Anyone know if they still do?
 #9881  by rb

I photographed a pressure differential covered hopper on the Piantedosi spur about two years ago--there are some shots on Nerail. But I never saw anything there again.

BTW, there's a huge construction supplies distributor a few blocks to the north on Commercial St in Malden. Guilford is crazy not to try getting their business!

And what ever happened to the steel distributor on the Medford line? They were good for 5-10 CSX gons (coils?) and TTX rebar flats a week.

#9898  by michael_m_rubino

There was a tree limb on this branch, excuse the pun, for months. Recently there was some tree trimming done.
 #10050  by Ed Canney

The tree work on the Piantedosi spur was done so a new chain link fence could be installed enclsoing the parking of the supply distributor. As for the steel distributor on the Medford branch - long gone and replaced with a family condo.
 #11134  by OHanrahan

When was the spur (Mystic spur) of the medford branch last used. The ROW is still very obvious and there is actually a bit of trackage still visible.[/url]
 #11783  by rb

Wow, those condos went up fast. When biking around the steel distributor, I thought the number of very suburban housing developments in its shadow were pretty funny-looking.

Boston is now about 10 yrs behind NYC in terms freight rail developments. The govt favors developing an anti-rail, 100% consumer population base. Not until truck traffic becomes unbearable will the local pols begin to wonder how stuff can be moved into the area more efficiently.

And who can really blame Guilford? It's the MBTA, as an 'arm' of the local governments, that keeps the freight off the rails. Just like the LIRR did in and around NYC in the 80s and early 90's. I hope they catch up to the example NYS/NYC is *slowly* setting.

rb
 #11806  by GP40MC1118

When the real estate in Boston/Somerville/etc. is worth beaucoup
bucks, who can blame Guilford for cashing in?. Railroad oriented
use just can't coexist in this enviroment.

The T and the state may rue the day they did stood by and let
the former piggyback yard in The People's Republic Of East
Cambridge go the way of office condos and apartments. If they
think they got noise complaints issues in East Cambridge now, just
wait until the 1000+ apartments and/or condos go up across from BET.

Dave