Railroad Forums 

• Turners Island LLC (shortline RR in South Portland, ME)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1362799  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:Video by dcarpine28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpsI6451SY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who owns/maintains this crossing, PAR or TI?
 #1362820  by gokeefe

ronjenx wrote:Here are some pictures of the Turners Island area in May, 1965.
I happened to go to the first page of the thread by happy accident and saw these photos. I had no idea that tank car service for oil was still so common as late as 1965. Very interesting. There's a lot to learn about how industry developed in the Portland area in the 70s and 80s, the tank farms in particular.
 #1362828  by MEC407

newpylong wrote:Does South Portland have online tax maps? If so you can look it up.
Good call. I looked it up, and unfortunately I'm still not sure what the answer is. East of the crossing is TI, and west of the crossing is PTM. Nothing comes up when I click on the crossing area, which I assume is because it's in the public right-of-way...?
Attachments:
Screen shot 2015-12-22 at 1.59.03 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2015-12-22 at 1.59.03 PM.jpg (188.88 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
Screen shot 2015-12-22 at 1.58.56 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2015-12-22 at 1.58.56 PM.jpg (187.32 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
 #1362832  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote:Nothing comes up when I click on the crossing area, which I assume is because it's in the public right-of-way...?
Based on what I can see on the map that's correct.

This is not necessarily always the case. In some situations, especially private crossings, the railroad owns the crossing and their right of way continues uninterrupted through the second party's property.
 #1362840  by MEC407

Is there any other way to find out who owns and maintains the lights and bells, and who owns and maintains the rails in the pavement? Not a big deal, I'm just curious.
 #1362992  by MEC407

Thanks. Their data, as you know, can be a bit iffy... but that's probably as close as we'll get to an accurate answer. Thanks for looking it up.
 #1363171  by BM6569

hh660 wrote:Wasn't that line part of Greater Portland Development Association (?) used to serve the old shipyard at one time ?
S
No. That spur was separate. It did branch off the line to Turner's Island by where those old cars are I pictured on the first page of this thread. But the line to Turner's Island was already existing when it was built.
 #1382864  by Jackinbox1

Found this on the NHRRA's Facebook page.

"Next month, in a move that will triple its original land holdings in South Portland to 49 acres, the company (Casco Bay Steel Structures) will close on a $3 million purchase of the former Megquier & Jones steel fabrication plant at 1156 Broadway, just across Rigby Yard and down the tracks from the Turners Island Marine-Rail Terminal on Portland Harbor."

Well gosh golly.
 #1383165  by artman

Jackinbox1 wrote:Found this on the NHRRA's Facebook page.

"Next month, in a move that will triple its original land holdings in South Portland to 49 acres, the company (Casco Bay Steel Structures) will close on a $3 million purchase of the former Megquier & Jones steel fabrication plant at 1156 Broadway, just across Rigby Yard and down the tracks from the Turners Island Marine-Rail Terminal on Portland Harbor."

Well gosh golly.
Already in this Thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=162285