Railroad Forums 

• Introducing.....the Thompson Caps Ltd. Thomaston, CT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1034937  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

A piece of New England railroading history is being brought back to life! Many Southern New England railroaders and railfans are familiar with products of the Thompson Cap Company, once located on State St in New Haven, CT. Little more than partial fingerprints, personal stories, and the products themselves remain of the company that once provided that distinctive look to railroad men of companies such as the New Haven Railroad.

We'd like to announce that we (Thompson Caps Ltd. of Thomaston, CT) are now offering quality copies of the original Thompson Cap Co's Style 305- FITTED Otis Pin Stripe cap. Who are we? We are Randy Patterson and Brent Bette. We are active members at the Railroad Musem of New England/ Naugatuck. Brent also works for the Valley Railroad.

Our experience has shown that this is possibly the most commonly associated and identifiable style offered by Thompson. This is of course Thompson's iconic FITTED blue and white pin strip pleated top cap with blue denim band and brim.

Think about this folks. Nothing will ever replace the originals, but for those who would like to wear a Thompson on a regular basis without the fear of ruining one, we believe we have a good alternative.

We are now accepting pre-orders for the Thompson style #305- Otis Pin Stripe caps! No payment is required at this time. We need to gather size and quantity information for this production run. Please send an email to us at [email protected] with your name, contact information, cap size, and desired quantity. We would like to have these distributed before the beginning of the operating season for several tourist lines and museums. So, we need to get moving!

Product photos will be available soon for review along with pricing information upon request via email.

Based upon demand and the availability of a physical sample, we will produce additional caps styles and products, including jumpers/jackets, from the original Thompson Cap Company product line.

We'd like to thank Bill Sample, Jim Vaitkunas, Joe "Knuckles Jr" Knowles, and several other sources for helping us in our research of the Thompson Cap Company and their products, as so much has been lost in the ballast.
Last edited by 3rd Gen. Brakeman on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1035077  by markhb

Don't take this as a solid expression of interest, but do you have any photos of your prototype?
 #1035681  by steamer69

Please keep us informed. I have been looking for repro gear. I have a few guys who are looking for it as well. When you go into production please P.M. me.
 #1035938  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

steamer69 wrote:Please keep us informed. I have been looking for repro gear. I have a few guys who are looking for it as well. When you go into production please P.M. me.
We are currently gathering sizes from those who are interested. Sample photos will be posted soon.
 #1040290  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

It is really great to see some support for our efforts! Thank you!

We are currently attempting to replicate another original Thompson style for the summer. It will be Thompson's 800 series white caps. We hope to offer them both in solid white (Style #801) and with black brim and band (Style # 803). We were informed that the white hat with black brim and band was popular on the shoreline. Interest has been expressed by folks out west for the solid white caps, as they were popular on the Western Pacific and on the coast division of the Southern Pacific. This could mean a revival of more than a piece of New England's railroad history/culture, but others as well!

The Corduroy cap (1000 Series) will be considered for production in the fall and will be offered with ear flaps (Style #1003). If anyone can loan an original for use as an example or several high quality detailed color photos, it would be greatly appreciated. We promise that no original Thompson products will be harmed in the reproduction process!

Randy Patterson
Thompson Caps Limited