Railroad Forums 

• branch lines on the CV?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1020155  by NRGeep

Any history of branches off of the CV in New England or has it always been more of a thru line compared to say, the B&M's Conn River line which was once dotted with numerous branches?
 #1020174  by The EGE

I know of two in SE CT. The Palmertown Branch started here at Depot Road in Montville and ran to industry in Palmertown. Easy to follow on Google Maps from the property lines. No passenger service that I know of, but I don't have my copy of Rail Lines of Southern New England handy. There are still some old rails near the junction - possibly visible from the cemetery - and the crossing of 32 is still noticeable.

Fitchville Branch split off here; again I believe it was freight-only. Rails and an old bridge are visible in that view, and are definitely still visible from Stockhouse Road.
 #1020255  by Pat Fahey

HI

Maybe you should pickup The Rail Lines of Northern New England by Karr , and The Rail Lines of Southern New England By Lindsell , I know that their is a newer book out that combines the both of these , do not remember the title .
These books do pack a lot of information , Pat
 #1020266  by TomNelligan

The Central Vermont was primarily an end-to-end mainline, but it did have branches in Vermont in addition to the Connecticut stubs mentioned above, a couple of which still exist. Essex Junction to Burlington is still quite active and is the NEC's interchange connection with the Vermont Railway. In ancient times that line continued east of Essex Jct. to connect with the StJ&LC at Cambridge Junction. Part of the CV's Montpelier Jct.-Monpelier-Barre branch is still in use by the VRS. The St. Albans-Richford branch was active into the 1980s and is now mostly a rail trail.
 #1020326  by Noel Weaver

Two other branches once existed:
Brattleboro to South Londonderry, Vermont, you can read about this in the book "36 Miles of Trouble" probably out of print but might be found especially in a library in Vermont.
East Alburgh, Vermont to Rouses Point including the long trestle across the northern end of Lake Champlain. The interesting thing about this line was the gauntlet track over the trestle which was owned by the Central Vermont but jointly used by the Rutland. Same bridge but each railroad maintained their own track over the bridge. I don't know of any other place where something like this existed. Another route also existed north of St. Albans to St. Johns, Quebec via Iberville, I believe this line although much of it was in Canada was operated by the Central Vermont and it was abandoned around 1955 or so. At one time in earlier years this was cosidered the main line for passenger trains but in later years while passenger service existed it was a GE car between St. Albans and St. Johns.
Noel Weaver
 #1020448  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote:Two other branches once existed:
Brattleboro to South Londonderry, Vermont, you can read about this in the book "36 Miles of Trouble" probably out of print but might be found especially in a library in Vermont.
This was built as a narrow gauge, in fact- the West River Railroad. Think the CV standard-gauged it at some point in the early 1900's.
 #1020651  by Noel Weaver

Ridgefielder wrote:
This was built as a narrow gauge, in fact- the West River Railroad. Think the CV standard-gauged it at some point in the early 1900's.
Correct, it also became an independent in its last years after a lot of damage from floods in 1927 I think. It was never a money maker for the CV.
Noel Weaver
 #1020781  by charding

The book, "36 miles..." can ususally be found for sale on ebay - in fact, I think that there is a copy now up for bid - I bought my copy on ebay.
 #1020849  by NRGeep

Thanks for all the great responses. While we're on the CV, I have noticed from the Vermonter a short siding in south Northfield Ma near the Erving line which leads to a field which seems to be still active as a farm. Anyone know what this was used for "back in the day?"
 #1020907  by The EGE

The only thing looking like a siding I can find is this and that appears to be an old road. 1941 topos show no spurs between Millers Falls and the CT River crossing at Northfield.
 #1021339  by NRGeep

The EGE wrote:The only thing looking like a siding I can find is this and that appears to be an old road. 1941 topos show no spurs between Millers Falls and the CT River crossing at Northfield.
Well, it can't be more than 100 feet...saw it with my own 4 eyes. Looks like it hasn't been used in decades.
 #1022481  by ProRail

Would the spur you are thinking of, it does not have any tracks correct?
It could be where the original B&M crossed and ran up the east bank of the Conn River on the New Hampshire side maybe?
Really can't figure out where you are talking about.
The NECR timetable does not show anything and neither do most reference books like "The Lost Railroads of New England."
 #1022485  by NRGeep

ProRail wrote:Would the spur you are thinking of, it does not have any tracks correct?
It could be where the original B&M crossed and ran up the east bank of the Conn River on the New Hampshire side maybe?
Really can't figure out where you are talking about.
The NECR timetable does not show anything and neither do most reference books like "The Lost Railroads of New England."
It's not a spur, just a short siding. I'll try to take a photo of it the next time I'm out that way. Could have been for a farm (milk?) way back when?
And, yes, the tracks are still there. It's easy to spot from the Vermonter on the East side of the tracks.
 #1022573  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:
Correct, it also became an independent in its last years after a lot of damage from floods in 1927 I think. It was never a money maker for the CV.
Noel Weaver
Per a chapter in "A Treasury of Railroad Folklore," Alvin F. Harlow, ed. (pub. 1953) the line was built by the Brattleboro & Whitehall in 1879. It went to the CV in a foreclosure in 1903 (apparently they held a mortgage on it), was standard-gauged in 1905, and heavily damaged in the 1927 floods. After being repaired it was leased to someone who tried to run it as a shortline but failed, and was scrapped in 1936.

You can still see remains of the line when you drive up Route 30 from Brattleboro to Londonderry. There are bridge piers in the river at one point, I think near Dummerston, but it's been a few years since I've been up that way.