Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1011346  by atsf sp

Too bad if we want to go real New England history, 250 does not count. It was Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern in Mississippi from 1926 to 1963, gaining fame as one of the last operating mainline steamers. Then it went to the Wannamaker, Kempton and Southern in Pennsylvania. It operated there until 1980 at which time it went to the Wolfeboro. It is a southern engine not a new england engine. 54 years not in New England and 30 in New England of which most it was not operating and was not in its glory.
Last edited by atsf sp on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1011356  by Cosmo

Pretty much my point earlier. If you want an engine to LOOK at, 250 is fine, if you want an engine to RUN, look OUTSIDE NE.
 #1011370  by steamer69

And neither is
White Mountain Central
#1 (Kopers Co.)
#4 (Intl Shoe Co.)

CSRX
#7470 (CN)

Passumpsic RR
#1 (Phenix Marble)

Edaville
#21 (Fiji Islands Sugar)

Valley
#97 (BS&E)
#40 (A&R)
#3025 (Tangshan)

WW&F
#9 (Revere Sugar)

Booth Bay
#1 (Schmidt & Herb)
#2 (Phillip Holzmann)
#2 (Saechsische)
#5 (Ferrovia)
#6 (Bauunternehm Grun & Bilfinger)
#11 (Phillip Holzmann)

*info above from steamlocomotive.com surviving steam database*

The only engines running in New England with New England History are the Maine Narrow Gauge engines, and a couple at Clarks....so what's you point? All of these engines however have become part of the fabric of who we are as a preservation comunity. It is absolutely ludicrous to come up with some crap about "54 years not in New England and 30 in New England of which most it was not operating and was not in its glory." It has been part of many lives. Even Cosmo has said that it's doing some good where little engineers can sit in it and dream. None of the engines above are New England Engines, but go to those places and tell them that they don't have a place in New England history. Heck, one of the Valley's engines wasn't even built in this hemisphere....
 #1011374  by atsf sp

I'm not saying it shouldn't be here, I'm mearly saying with your post of listing new england heritage locos, 250 shouldn't be one. Valley 40 and 97 I know are fabrics to this area. But still why should we waste so much time on a stuffed and mounted engine that we know no one will have the will or ever will repair? Paint it at least, refurbish it as a stuffed and mounted. I am an advocate that not everything must run. As long as it is there to show what it was like in the past, then so be it. But why should some organization place much money into this locomotive when there are more viable canidates elsewhere? Let it stand as a engineering marvel. We could look elsewhere to see these wonders operate.
Also be happy 3713 is being rebuilt cause you seemed kind of vindictive about its restoration.
 #1011393  by Cosmo

[GAAME SHOW BUZZER!]
WRONG!
WW&FRR #9, Formerly SRR#6, BUILT for SRR.. that's SANDY RIVER RR, in MAINE, currently undergoing reconstructive surgery in Sheepscot, ME.
Prognosis for recovery is EXCELENT. Expected to be running in 1-2 years.
WW&FRR#10 on the other hand...
Oh,... and wait a few years, there'll be a WW&FRR #11,... built in Sheepscot MAINE (with parts made in PA) :wink:
 #1011400  by steamer69

My bad cosmo.....I punched 9 instead of 10. Still, point made that the only operating engine there has nothing to do with the railroad or New England.
 #1011406  by Cosmo

LOL! ok, ok....
...but give it time, like I said. There's "much steam in WW&F's future!
 #1011413  by steamer69

I'm waiting with anticipation. Wayne has been talking to me about 11, and I wish you all the best. My 11 for 11 is going in to help out.
 #1011461  by Noel Weaver

Steam is steam and it is the result of a lot of hard work and expense by some whether it be a group, non-profit, railroad company or something else. Appreciate the smell of coal smoke, the chuff chuff, the whistle, bell and noise associated with steam. Some of you are too up-tight as to the heritage of the locomotive, concentrate on the enjoyment of seeing these relics of the past still doing their thing. One more place with New England engines is Mount Washington although the future for steam here is probably uncertain at best.
Noel Weaver
 #1011463  by atsf sp

I dont care about its heritage, I was just trying to prove a point. I don't care where it is preserved, just keep it preserved in any form.
 #1011475  by steamer69

atsf sp wrote:Too bad if we want to go real New England history, 250 does not count.
atsf sp wrote:I dont care about its heritage

So which is it?

Noel,
Thanks for that. I'm glad that someone else agrees with me (as much as it pains you.... ;-) ).
 #1011495  by Cosmo

I'm not "uptight" about it's heritage either. I only point out that that is why no serious preservation groups have come forward yet to "preserve" (or restore, or operate... etc, etc...) the 250. That's all I meant there. Not that it shouldn't be up here.
Again, I think it'd look nice up in Sanbornville by the turntable or at Wolfeboro next to the station.
 #1011533  by Trainlover479

atsf sp wrote:Too bad if we want to go real New England history, 250 does not count. It was Bonhomie & Hattiesburg Southern in Mississippi from 1926 to 1963, gaining fame as one of the last operating mainline steamers. Then it went to the Wannamaker, Kempton and Southern in Pennsylvania. It operated there until 1980 at which time it went to the Wolfeboro. It is a southern engine not a new england engine. 54 years not in New England and 30 in New England of which most it was not operating and was not in its glory.
I accually researched the engine and she was at the WK&S untill 1974, Purchased by Wolfeboro, En route to wolfeboro was inspected in strasburg shops, and then was sent to wolfeboro, then her flue tubes were replaced inside the fernald enginehouse and ran from 1974 to 1985, for a tourist railroad that lasted only about 10 years. When i go inside the fernald enginehouse today when marking which direction and time im going on the railroad, i still see the soot on the ceiling from 250. Theres also still coal laying around the enginehouse area which is neat.
 #1011535  by Trainlover479

Cosmo wrote:I'm not "uptight" about it's heritage either. I only point out that that is why no serious preservation groups have come forward yet to "preserve" (or restore, or operate... etc, etc...) the 250. That's all I meant there. Not that it shouldn't be up here.
Again, I think it'd look nice up in Sanbornville by the turntable or at Wolfeboro next to the station.
I too would love to see that happen, though a daycare group now own the station, and get this, they made the ticket office a KITCHEN. Rails have been pulled up from wolfeboro falls to wolfeboro station. so the best spot would be the turntable. But believe me, i want to kick the daycare people out so i can make that ticket office back to what it was.
 #1011551  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote: I too would love to see that happen, though a daycare group now own the station, and get this, they made the ticket office a KITCHEN. Rails have been pulled up from wolfeboro falls to wolfeboro station. so the best spot would be the turntable. But believe me, i want to kick the daycare people out so i can make that ticket office back to what it was.
LOL! Well, I can understand that. That's how I feel about some of the old SR&RL buildings up in Phillips, or the old station here in Norwich, ... BUT...
I AM glad that someone wit the $$ to do the maintenance in all cases is occupying the space, at least until a more historically oriented group having the resources to do something different can take over.