Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1013252  by Trainlover479

My mistake, shes a GE 25 tonner. She is in pretty bad shape though.... It was No #3. Never saw service on the wolfeboro though it was painted in a blue with gold lettering and logo.
 #1013253  by steamer69

I was going to say, (being that I work there) I'm pretty sure that we only have the 1 plymouth...a GE25 Ton....3 44 toners and 2 Heislers....lol.
 #1013255  by Trainlover479

have you guys thought about connecting to that mainline that goes by your railroad? Would be nice to be linked to the grid..
also how much frieght cars and cabooses? Just curious
 #1013256  by steamer69

We should take this over to the passumpsic thread....meet me there and we will chat about Passumsic. I'll be posting there in a sec.
 #1496648  by John Smythe

Yes.. the Ex-Wolfeboro RR #250 is still at Edaville. I believe it's lettered Boston & Maine on the tender. When former Edaville RR owner Jack Flagg purchased her it only made it as far as concord, NH as Guilford Trans. refused to move her over their rails due to friction bearings. So Flagg had it taken apart and trucked to Edaville, it was then discovered the Crown Brasses were cracked / broken & the crown sheet was warped among other things as well. so it was painted up nice and displayed. Other than those 2 major issues, perhaps #250 could be acquired by CSRR & rehabbed for active use.
 #1497250  by oibu

That blue GE 25 ton discussed above was on the NSRC for most of the 1980s-90s until Passumpsic.

Did it get rebuilt as a plow by WRR or was it still a loco when WRR had it and NSRC added the plows? AFAIK it never operated on its own on NSRC, just got pushed by the 44 tonner or 959.
 #1535368  by rwk

The #250 used to be at WK&S in Kempton, PA from 1963-1972. It’s a short landlocked section of former Reading track about 4 1/2 miles but only 3 1/4 miles are normally used for train rides. If you go to Jeff Z’s WK&S site you can see photos of #250 at the WK&S. They ran longer trains with #250. The WK&S is less than 20 miles west of me. I had a record with sounds of #250 and #2 on WK&S in the early 1980’s but I lost it. They originally wanted the track from Kempton to Germansville but a stubborn landowner past Wanamaker wouldn’t sell the track to the new group that ran through his property so the line was ended 1/4 mile past Wanamaker along Rt. 143 and the rest of the line to Best Station was torn up in 1962. The Reading had removed the track from Best to Slatedale earlier. There is a picture of the end of track at Best with two tracks with two bumper posts. Probably the 1950’s. About #250, the WK&S decided it was too much locomotive for their small short operation and bought #65 0-6-0T from Safe Harbor, PA to replace it in 1972 before the Reading removed the tracks south of North Albany to Evansville. #250 left Kempton by rail, and #65 arrived at Kempton by rail. I never got to ride behind #250 because it stopped operating at Kempton before I was born (1974) and Wolfeboro would have been quite far for us.