Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1519230  by MEC407

b&m 1566 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:40 pm 4268, is the main focus right now, I've been told the loose tentative plan right now, is to have a big reveal during Railfan's weekend next year, with a freshly painted 4266 to match.
This will be friggin' awesome — a matched pair of B&M F-units in fresh maroon & gold! We've all waited a long time for this, and I think the end result will be worth the wait.
 #1519345  by drvmusic

On Saturday, for Railfans day, the Valley Train featured 4266 on one end and 573 on the other. It was just for the day, and was back to just 573 on Sunday.
theseaandalifesaver wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:34 pm I saw a picture of 4266 leading a consist on nerail. The consists had engines on each end. Does CSRR not do the runaround at Conway or Bartlett anymore? That would seriously be a disappointment if they do not.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=3&key2=
 #1519365  by drvmusic

Not frequently to my knowledge, no. The 573 is the primary power for the Valley train, and 252 and 216 are typically on the Notch Train. 4266 and 1751 are back-ups, and they use the RDC (Millie) during lighter times, like when the RR opens for the season. The 4268 is in the process of getting road-ready, and should be out this time next year.
theseaandalifesaver wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 pm Does 4266 not get used regularly? I remember back in the late 90's they'd connect it with another engine to make the runaround with.
 #1519373  by gokeefe

MEC407 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 amThis will be friggin' awesome — a matched pair of B&M F-units in fresh maroon & gold! We've all waited a long time for this, and I think the end result will be worth the wait.
No doubt about it. It's definitely a highlight in the company history of CSRX. Comparable to acquiring #252 and repainting it to harvest gold and green. I really enjoy seeing that engine running on the Mountain Division.
 #1519383  by b&m 1566

theseaandalifesaver wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 pm Does 4266 not get used regularly? I remember back in the late 90's they'd connect it with another engine to make the runaround with.
I'm pretty sure Railfan's Weekend was the first time this season 4266 turned a wheel. You probably won't see it again till the 470 RR Club's annual notch train excursion in mid-October. After that I'm sure it will assume it's usual spot on the Polar Express trains for the return trips. After that you probably won't see it run again till next year's Railfan's Weekend. Of course things could change like last year, when 4266 was used almost daily with 252 pulling the notch trains, after 216 broke down and 1751, was on freight duty with the New Hampshire Central Railroad.
 #1519579  by backroadrails

Railfans day was the first day it had been used this season. If I recall it was sitting dead and drained behind the roundhouse when I stopped in back in June.
 #1519591  by gokeefe

The breadth of power CSRX operates is very impressive. Their fleet spans almost 90 years of locomotive technology in no less than five different configurations, liquid and solid fuel, and two types of diesel traction.
 #1520374  by EastYorkTrainFaan

It's my understanding that the reason they don't rum 4266 on its own is because it's difficult to see what's ahead of the train when it's running backwards. so they either have to have someone watching from the back of it or run it with another engine. Once 4268 is up and runmning they will probably pair them together as they did with the sisters on the notch train.
 #1520470  by elecuyer

I was on a train that had 4266 running backwards.
IIRC, it was around 2000, before the Crawford Notch line was open, I think they had just started running to Bartlet.

The occasion was a B&M Historical Society Charter from N. Conway to Conway for a dinner, then back to Conway. 4266 was on the head end both ways, and faced the "wrong way" on the northbound trip.

At the dinner/presentation Russ Sybold was asked if 7470 would ever power a train through the notch. He replied emphatically that it would never, ever happen. When I rode behind 7470 on its first trip to Crawfords, several years later, I spotted him coming out of the cab with a big smile on his face. I asked him if he recalled that meeting. He replied that he would rather have everyone surprised than disappointed.
 #1520474  by b&m 1566

They operate 4266 backwards when they have too but certainly not their preferred choice. The last time I remember seeing it run backwards was when they had to leave 7470 in Bartlett to let the bearings cool down. It was MBRRE chartered special in June of 2014, 4266 was on the west end with 7470 on the east for runs to Conway, Redstone and Notchland Inn. When they got to Bartlett on the return trip and to do a photo run-by, 7470 had all it could take and needed a cool down period on its axle. In order to keep on schedule 4266 swapped ends and took the rest of the train back to N. Conway, about and hour later 7470 departed Bartlett and limped back to N. Conway.
 #1520582  by John Smythe

elecuyer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:51 pm I was on a train that had 4266 running backwards.
IIRC, it was around 2000, before the Crawford Notch line was open, I think they had just started running to Bartlet.

The occasion was a B&M Historical Society Charter from N. Conway to Conway for a dinner, then back to Conway. 4266 was on the head end both ways, and faced the "wrong way" on the northbound trip.

At the dinner/presentation Russ Sybold was asked if 7470 would ever power a train through the notch. He replied emphatically that it would never, ever happen. When I rode behind 7470 on its first trip to Crawfords, several years later, I spotted him coming out of the cab with a big smile on his face. I asked him if he recalled that meeting. He replied that he would rather have everyone surprised than disappointed.

I know from personal experiences with Rusty in the past that any time he made a hefty profit on anything of a special event he was all smiles, all the way to the bank.