Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1517909  by backroadrails

I was told the Railfans day schedule was late due to staffing issues. It seems like this year’s schedule is watered down. I am not trying to start a argument here, and I like the work the new owners are doing to the railroad, and I know Railfans day doesn’t necessarily pay for itself from what I have been told. But it just seems like the only special interest train running on Saturday besides the valley train double header is the freight extra. There is also no mention of the 1751, RDC, or any excursions on the Redstone Branch.
 #1518053  by Jonathan

backroadrails wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:56 am I was told the Railfans day schedule was late due to staffing issues. It seems like this year’s schedule is watered down. I am not trying to start a argument here, and I like the work the new owners are doing to the railroad, and I know Railfans day doesn’t necessarily pay for itself from what I have been told. But it just seems like the only special interest train running on Saturday besides the valley train double header is the freight extra. There is also no mention of the 1751, RDC, or any excursions on the Redstone Branch.
Yeah, the schedule is a bit like last years schedule.
 #1518399  by EastYorkTrainFaan

Rockingham Racer wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 am Do what the UP does: steam in the lead, diesel assist. Problem solved???
Don't forget Up also has a control stand installed in their steam engines so they can control a deasil that is hooked up to it. the Conway Scenic doesn't have that and anytime they use a del with 7470 they have to have a second engineer for it.
 #1518418  by b&m 1566

Does anyone know if 7470 will be operating a full daily schedule for the autumn season? I'm not sure what they define as their "autumn season" but atleast for me, I go by the their daily runs to Fabyan's and consider that their "autumn season", so for this year it's September 21st to October 19th.
 #1518561  by John Smythe

RG479 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:13 pm The TE of the W1 Class of 2-8-0's was 3680 lbs and based on the classification numbers on 7470's cab its TE is 3300. A larger 2-8-0 like WM 734 would be necessary to pull a passenger train up the grade to Crawford Notch.

Bob Meckley
Just for the record...... MEC#501 2-8-0 weights. Engine 193,000 LBS, Tender 140,000 LBS. Tractive Effort 36,600 LBS. Tonnage Ratings, 1,750 Tons, except Crawford Notch which is 1,350 Tons. Class " W " 2-8-0's which were a regular sight hauling freight trains alone or in tandem with other steam locomotives up in Crawford Notch are very capable engines. CSRX # 7470 has a long history of overheated bearings issues, it does not belong out on a mountain grade, #501 is a road engine with a set of front trucks that enable it to negotiate curves. MEC #501 has no bearing issues, it belongs out running the high iron up in the Notch. Let #7470 do it's thing on the Conway trips like it has in the past & feed the bearings lots of grease between trips. A fully restored #501 won't need diesel helpers to travel over a route she previously traveled for over 4 decades in her past regular service with MEC.
 #1518885  by John Smythe

Someone asked me in an earlier post why there has not been a CSRX " Wheel Report " since April 2019 at which time we were promised a " Update " regarding the steam program? It's easy to figure out, as in my opinion & from my sources there is nothing to report especially regarding #501. The Operations Manager went out too far on the limb & it snapped.
 #1518887  by drvmusic

Jonathan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 am How was the freight run yesterday? I heard trespassers had to be reported at Glen Ellis.
I wasn't on it, and didn't hear about any trespassing. I saw it several times at the station and got some nice video. It looked awesome. I'll post a link once I get to editing.
 #1518918  by NHV 669

Yesterday was much like June, a mass pilgrimage of vehicles and bodies along 302. Couple that with heavy Labor Day Weekend traffic, and things certainly got crazy at times. A woman decided to park directly underneath the crossing cantilever next to the Bartlett Roundhouse and stand in the gauge in the middle of the road with another man, while the train was preparing to leave a quick pit stop at the station. Lots of bone headed behavior by folks who don't grasp the concept of safety.

The best bet this time was to attempt fewer shots, so I took the liberty of a slow moving train to get in a good hike to the Frankenstein Trestle, with no crowd:

https://youtu.be/wSY85K_MWpc