Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1518919  by gokeefe

Pretty special to run a train so long it takes up the entire Frankenstein Trestle. Amazing sight.

Worth noting that many of those cars must weigh substantially more than the wood sided coaches, parlor, diner and sleeper cars of #7470s day.
 #1518949  by backroadrails

Jonathan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 am How was the freight run yesterday? I heard trespassers had to be reported at Glen Ellis.
There was what looked like 3 kids on the tracks, they were either on the tracks or too close to them when the train came along, so the crew stopped. I talked to a few people shooting near the bridge, and they said they looked like they were placing change on the tracks.
 #1519082  by shadyjay

I was on board the extra to Whitefield on Sunday. For the most part, the experience, as usual, was enjoyable. However, for an extra during Railfan Weekend, the lack of a photo runby for those of us who paid, at minimum, $84, was interesting. There was even a car on the train with Mass Bay RRE guests/members on board, whose fantrips they organize are noted for well-orchestrated runbys. To see all the "freeloaders" get their perfect shot again and again and again (at each major spot along the line) and leave us patrons with nothing is kind of disheartening. We couldn't even get a descent shot of the steamer at North Conway due to its location north of the parking lot crossing.

We had quite the long stop at the end of CSRX operated track in Whitefield, for 20 minutes. Then backed up violently a bit, then pulled forward a couple carlengths for another substantial stop, before returning south. Later, I found out it was a photo opp for the crew. Kudos to the crew, indeed, (as a steam locomotive employee now, I know what they go through so that is well deserved), but couldn't we have gotten off as well?
 #1519083  by backroadrails

I do agree that the passengers should have had a photo run by. The stop at Whitefield was to pump water into the tender and to inspect the steam engine. The reason why passengers were not let out was because they would have had to detrain on the crossing, and they were trying not to block it hence why the stopped short of the crossing to do the mechanical work. Listening to the radio it sounded like David who was running the 7470 decided to back up and get a running start for the railfans who were set up, so it would look more dramatic.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1519100  by b&m 1566

Going back to February when they first mentioned the train excursion, it was never advertised as a "Photographer's Special". All year long, it was advertised as a railfan excursion, where 7470 would operate on all the former MEC tracks that they operate, at no point did they ever mention that there would be photo opportunities for passengers; if the MBRRE led you to believe otherwise, then you were miss led. It was an opportunity for Railfan's to ride the notch train led by a steam engine and to cover rare mileage track, nothing more, nothing less.
If MBRRE are upset, then maybe next year they can charter their own Photographers Special notch train led by the 7470. Who knows maybe, they would accommodate a late May, early June or even a early November excursion to make it extra special... I'm still waiting for my Memorial Day weekend notch train departures.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1519125  by b&m 1566

My apologies I miss read what was writen, I took it that they were expecting photo opportunities but I re-read what was written and that's not at all what was said or implied. Also I too was not implying that MBRRE were upset, that's why started with "If", that was just a mindless comment of my 2 cents.
 #1519158  by shadyjay

Don't get me wrong, it was super-cool to be pulled by a steam engine up through the Notch and get all the extra mileage as well. I've ridden Conway Scenic's Railfan weekend extra to Whitefield in the past, and we have had photo runbys. I just thought it was a little curious that one wasn't provided for paying patrons, of which many were railfans. I understand the logistics of where to stop, loading/unloading passengers, keeping to the schedule, etc play into it as well.

(I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth. I was not mislead, and I don't know if MBRRE people on board were upset or not. I wasn't upset. I enjoyed the ride immensely. )
 #1519167  by gokeefe

I hope everyone who enjoyed this magnificent trip was able to relay their appreciation to the railroad. It seems to me that they give it their best effort every year for Railfan Weekend.
 #1519173  by John Smythe

One of the disadvantages of using the same locations for conducting run-bys is that everyone gets to know where they are going to be, add cell phones & scanners & the elements of surprise are lost. Again... #7470's past history with overheated driving rods requires the addition of diesel helpers to provide a measure of safety in case worst case scenarios arise. These things I have known about for a long time.

MEC #501 is perfect steam locomotive for any kind of action up on the " Notch Line " for many reasons I have stated before. How about CSRX getting some parts of her restoration work started & give railfans something to really sink their teeth into?
 #1519179  by backroadrails

John Smythe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:11 pm MEC #501 is perfect steam locomotive for any kind of action up on the " Notch Line " for many reasons I have stated before. How about CSRX getting some parts of her restoration work started & give railfans something to really sink their teeth into?

As it has been stated, the restoration isn't a priority right now. Currently the mechanical crews are working to get the 4268 operational, which I have heard it will be in service next season, along with maintaining the rest of the fleet. I believe one of the valley cars is sitting on a turntable track awaiting rebuild as well. Not only this but I believe the person in charge of the mechanical department took a new job at the M&B, and last I heard they hadn't filled the position yet. The restoration of the 501 is going to take time, the same as the 470. The way it was explained to me is that they plan on having it operational by the time the 7470 goes down for it's next inspection.
 #1519190  by b&m 1566

John, the bearing issue on 7470 was fixed, there has been no overheating.
4268, is the main focus right now, I've been told the loose tentative plan right now, is to have a big reveal during Railfan's weekend next year, with a freshly painted 4266 to match.
501, is definitely on the back burner right now, I wouldn't expect anything to happen until after 4268 is completed, so your talking late next year or early 2021 at the earliest, before they really start to tackle the engine.
 #1519219  by John Smythe

Current FRA 230 -49 codes allow 1,472 days of service days that the engine has been under steam & or in use. Once those days are used up the engine needs to be overhauled in addition to the 30/60/90 some odd days for washouts, etc. I believe 15 years was or is the maximum as well.

I'll believe CSRX is serious when I get word that certain projects needing doing begin to be undertaken.