Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1494913  by Cosmo

Someone needs to get up to the North country and start filming the various stages of the restorations,
could probably release a feature-lenght documentary including the "first-runs"! :wink:
 #1495048  by b&m 1566

What about the dome car, last I heard it was in Worcester, MA. Will it be delivered before or after they close down for the winter?
 #1495205  by John Smythe

backroadrails wrote:The tubes are going into the 7470 and the 501's boiler is being prepped for inspection.
https://www.facebook.com/mainelocomotiv ... =3&theater

You did a fine job providing the link to the photo of the 2" tubes being removed fro the smokebox of MEC #501. Contrary to what was reported on the Facebook page, those tubes did have fire in them during a spring 1998 test firing of the boiler. The steam dome was kept open to vent steam as a full long slow fire up was undertaken for 8-10 hours to gently expand and relax the entire boiler, done with FRA approval. The MEC #501's tubes are longer than those required in #7470 if I remember correctly. Both front & rear tube sheets are warped, rear sheet has numerous cracks at the riveted areas. Tubes cost a few thousand dollars for 200+ 20 years ago. wise decision to reuse them as they are basically still brand new.
 #1495214  by BandA

Apparently the 501's tubes need to be cut down to fit 4740. Steel tubes are still an off-the-shelf type item? If the tube sheets in the 501 are warped, why were new tubes installed 20 years ago? Is each pipe a few thousand dollars 1998 dollars or 200 of them for that price? I assume the two pipe lengths are similar in price?
 #1495216  by John Smythe

I located the invoice dated 9/10/1997 from Potts Welding & Boiler Repair Co. It cost $4704.00 for 200 2" 178A Grade .105" thick wall x16' long steel boiler tubes. Weight 7790 lbs, W/O copper ferrules. Motor Truck freight charge was $774.00, in case some of the tubes were damaged in transit, they sent an additional 10 or so extras. The 26 5 1/2" super Heater flues were made in Germany. One problem arose during the ordering of the Flues, whoever measured for the correct length did not take into consideration that extra length was required in order to expand & roll the tube ends over on each tube sheet.

The boiler company the club hired used chains & a come-along to pull the sheets towards each other, it barely solved the issue but the sheets are under a tremendous strain. In the end the boiler company that was hired was found lacking in many areas of knowing right from wrong repairs & that's why there is a mess of things to make right at this time.

I have hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of documents, photos, drawings, letters, invoices, etc sitting in my file cabinet, that I can research and draw accurate information from at any time.
 #1495219  by John Smythe

gokeefe wrote:Pretty surprising to see this happening. Who would have ever guessed both #501 and #470 would be restored.
I would surely hope that if work is being performed on #7470 to make everything safe, boiler wise that is, that if it has not already been done in the past that the workmen will remove the power reverser & replace wasted, eroded away staybolts, studs, that hold the reverser to the boiler. Also please make sure that the hex bolt that someone installed in the mud ring on the engineers side & disguised it to look like a rivet gets replaced with a real rivet.
 #1495257  by Cosmo

I’m certain ML&M would notice and address those items.
They now have several pristine working locos under their collective belts to brag about. 😉
 #1495263  by BandA

Wow! So inflate that to 2019 prices, and what, $15,000 + shipping from China? Can't believe you have all that detail! Plus you say 501 needs to be re-done and if you redo it the tubes are already cut to length & perhaps they did something not perfect to the ends to make them work in the 501.