Railroad Forums 

• North Brookfield RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#971010  by frrc

According to an article in today's Telegram, trains will be coming back on the old North Brookfield(MA) line. A company with locomotives and rolling stock is prepared to spend $5.5 million to restore service. The North Brookfield RR is still in
existence on paper, but hasn't seen service in 40 years. Are there any potential customers on this proposed line? And who is proposing this, the G&U or the East Brookfield and Spencer RR? The old roadbed is currently being used by ATV's and
dirt bikes and one abutter was quoted as saying "I'd rather have trains..."

J
 #971041  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a link to the story in the Worcester Telegram:

http://www.telegram.com/article/2011091 ... 19822/1116

Here is a brief fair-use quote:
NORTH BROOKFIELD — Rail service is returning to North Brookfield.

And that announcement last night by Selectman Richard P. Chabot might incline some to say, “Be careful what you wish for.” Two months ago, abutters to the four-mile spur from Connie Mack Drive in East Brookfield to Quabaug Rubber on Grove Street complained to selectmen about the actions of the North Brookfield Rail Trail Committee and an increase in illegal all-terrain vehicle and dirt bike activity. “Frankly, I'd rather have the trains,” said one frustrated abutter.
Always include a link to the original story and a brief quote when referencing news stories! These stories often get archived quickly, so the brief quote and the link help us know exactly what you're talking about!

-otto-
 #971051  by jaymac

To go all Gomer Pyle, surprise, surprise, surprise!
Surprise 1: A ground-up restoration.
Surprise 2: Trains, at least in the quotation, are deemed better than ATVs.
Surprise 3: The to-be-named service provider -- Will the EB&SR add two more initials to its name, will there be a GURR Western Division, or will a real surprise emerge?
 #971457  by Cosmo

Who knows? Just have to keep watching. But way to go ABUTTERS!
 #971496  by ewh

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but what rail business is located along this line? I am familiar with the road that parallels the ROW from East Brookfield to North Brookfield, but I can't recall anything that could use rail transportation. Brookfield Orchards?

On the other hand, if restoring rail service on this line makes a profit, consider all the other lines we think are dead as tripe that might have potential. I've got my list.....
 #971550  by frrc

My hunch is the outfit that runs the East Brookfield and Spencer (Rail Tex ?) will be the one to operate this, as they are already in the area, and have local locomotives.
 #971552  by Jedijk88

Keep an eye out for the next issue of Atlantic Northeast Rails and Ports, your questions will be answered.
 #971605  by Otto Vondrak

Jedijk88 wrote:Keep an eye out for the next issue of Atlantic Northeast Rails and Ports, your questions will be answered.
Can you elaborate at all?
 #972108  by ewh

Yeah, I think I allowed my subscription to expire.
 #974663  by Cosmo

I could not access the link.
 #974673  by frrc

Cosmo wrote:I could not access the link.
Got web site not reachable. FWIW, this is the Worcester Business Journal's web site...
 #974816  by NYCRS3

The website may have been down for maintenance. I just tried the link here and it did come up. It is in the Worcester Business Journal if you need to find it that way.