Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1223493  by JBConn

On Saturday the 19th, 1757 in NHN paint was on the extension track out the back side of the long stall of the roundhouse down by the cabooses. I did not look closely, but saw no sign of work going on.
 #1288012  by Cosmo

Curious as to why no recent updates to this thread. I know things are happening up there, (ie: 501's running gear,) I'd just like to see some more frequent updates. ;)
 #1288040  by Reader#108

Here is what is happening with the equipment:

1757 is sitting next to the freight house at the coal pocket........doing nothing

501 running gear is being reinstalled as time allows

4266 is inside of the roundhouse

4268 is in it's same spot

Cory Fothergill just finished relettering the hopper car

State of Maine car looks good still

the yellow one needs paint
 #1296978  by drvmusic

Reader#108 wrote:1757 is sitting next to the freight house at the coal pocket........doing nothing
4268 is in it's same spot
Has there been any further discussion of the transplant to 4268? From what I've been told, 1757 runs, but is not moving. I was there in August and it's kind of buried where it is.

Last year the plan was a 5-year plan if I remember correctly. Is that still in the works or on hold?

Just curious if we'll see either of them moving in the near-ish future.
 #1297025  by Dick H

In the 470 Club September Newsletter, it was noted that a fund drive was going
to be started to raise $50,000 for the transfer of the 1757 equipment to the 4268.
In the October Newsletter, the price has been increased to $60,000.
 #1494414  by John Smythe

I e-mailed a PM to * who is a 470 RR Club Trustee regarding membership, the #501, etc, hopefully he will confer / relay my message through to the proper people & there will shortly be a result.
 #1501174  by John Smythe

Yee- Haa!!! The 470 railroad Club has finally " SOLD " MEC #501 to Conway Scenic Railroad. Now after over 35 years of waiting & hoping......something in the air informs me that there is indeed light at the end of the long tunnel. A " Brand New Owner '" Mr. David Swirk of CSRX will take the necessary steps to bring this Historic Maine Central Railroad Steam Locomotive back to life! Thank You David!
 #1560547  by ericofmaine

Wow, forgot about this thread. As was noted in the Conway Scenic thread, the club has purchased former Boston and Maine 1741 (Pan Am 72). Currently the unit is in Waterville and needs some work to be able to move. We were hoping to have this work done this winter but have been told by Pan Am that due to workload because of East Deerfield being unavailable, we're being told perhaps in the spring.

Our initial plan is to have it as an emergency part source for the two F-7's, should the need arise. Otherwise, once those two engines are complete, we'll focus on restoring this unit to operation.

Speaking of the F-7's, we had hoped to have 4268 done this year, but Covid put an end to those hopes. Depending on what happens this year, we're shooting to have it operational this year. After that, the plan is to do a refresh to 4266 that includes installing new side panels to replace some that had rusted out.

Finally, we finally had the final BAR car repainted. That had become an eyesore and had been on the "wish list" for some time. Glad to have that done.

Eric
 #1560561  by b&m 1566

Do you mean 4268 was supposed to be done last year (2020)? Or did you mean done this year and now hoping for 2022?
 #1560582  by ericofmaine

Last year as in 2020. Sorry, the change in the calendar always gets me!

Eric