Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1040208  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:
drvmusic wrote:At this point you can either join and raise your objections in person or not join and move on.
Why should I give them MORE money? The've gotten enough all ready. And how do you know that I have no association with the club? Are you on the board and have not answered any of the questions raised by me and others?
drvmusic wrote:Can we get back to discussing the equipment without the constant complaining about the club management?
Silly me, I thought we were talking about the equipment.....and as far as the management goes....the equipment can't take care of itself.......
Again, as stated, your opinions. We know what those are like and that everyone has one.
Can we stick to facts?
I am HAPPY to see the tank car go in for the work it was slated and budgeted for before the talk of the "frankenengine" even started. Hopefully we can see a nice photo-freight next railfan's weekend.
 #1040215  by drvmusic

steamer69 wrote:
drvmusic wrote:At this point you can either join and raise your objections in person or not join and move on.
Why should I give them MORE money? The've gotten enough all ready. And how do you know that I have no association with the club? Are you on the board and have not answered any of the questions raised by me and others?
drvmusic wrote:Can we get back to discussing the equipment without the constant complaining about the club management?
Silly me, I thought we were talking about the equipment.....and as far as the management goes....the equipment can't take care of itself.......
My point is that you've made your point. I know I'm not alone in wanting to discuss 470 topics without a managment or money slam on each and every topic brought up. Enough. We get it! I enjoy reading your insights, but enough of the complaining about the club. Again, we get it. They are not going to answer you on this board. Go down there and talk to them.
 #1040220  by Cosmo

drvmusic wrote:
steamer69 wrote:
My point is that you've made your point. I know I'm not alone in wanting to discuss 470 topics without a managment or money slam on each and every topic brought up. Enough. We get it! I enjoy reading your insights, but enough of the complaining about the club. Again, we get it. They are not going to answer you on this board. Go down there and talk to them.
LIKE BUTTON!!
 #1040227  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:Can we stick to facts?
Oh so now you want to use facts.....hello pot, this is kettle......

drvmusic wrote:My point is that you've made your point. I know I'm not alone in wanting to discuss 470 topics without a managment or money slam on each and every topic brought up. Enough. We get it! I enjoy reading your insights, but enough of the complaining about the club. Again, we get it.
You make a good point. I will try to tone it down.......
 #1040230  by drvmusic

steamer69 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:Can we stick to facts?
Oh so now you want to use facts.....hello pot, this is kettle......

drvmusic wrote:My point is that you've made your point. I know I'm not alone in wanting to discuss 470 topics without a managment or money slam on each and every topic brought up. Enough. We get it! I enjoy reading your insights, but enough of the complaining about the club. Again, we get it.
You make a good point. I will try to tone it down.......
 #1040339  by Mikejf

$10,000 seems kind of high for a quick paint job, but that may be accurate. What ever the case, paint is part of the preservation process. I would rather see them spend $10,000 on a paint job on that than not spend anything and let it rot. It is their equipment. I applaud them for keeping it looking good.

Mike
 #1040487  by steamer69

Mike,
I do not know for sure that it's going to be $10,000.00....but I'm guessing that they will spray it with IMRON like they did the SOM car.
 #1040494  by Guilford Guy9887

steamer69 wrote:
Reader 108 wrote:Also, the Tank Car is headed into the roundhouse for it's paint job.
There goes another $10,000.00 down the toilet. Let me guess, they're going to spray that with IMRON too so it "lasts".

steamer69 wrote:Mike,
I do not know for sure that it's going to be $10,000.00....but I'm guessing that they will spray it with IMRON like they did the SOM car.
Steamer, when was the last time you went and spent time with anyone from the 470 at north Conway looking at their equipment and what they do with it. You seem to go out of your way focusing on how a group spends it's money that you don't contribute to. Why do you even care? I don't see how you can complain that the 501 isnt running when you have nothing to do with it

I sometimes think it would be better if Jeff locked this thread for good! It always gets back to this point where people just can be positive and trash the club for whatever it is they are doing
 #1040505  by steamer69

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:Steamer, when was the last time you went and spent time with anyone from the 470 at north Conway looking at their equipment and what they do with it.
When were you there last? And since you know so much about where and how I spend my time please show the fact of how I am not around there, or talking with people in the 470. How do you thing I get the information that I have? You can't find it on the internet....that would involve them telling people what's going on....
Guilford Guy9887 wrote:Why do you even care? I don't see how you can complain that the 501 isnt running when you have nothing to do with it
Here again, you don't know that I have nothing to do with it....and we ARE NOT making this about 501. It is not me that keeps bringing up 501....case in point. Can we stop with the baseles, non factual, smoke and mirrors tactics please? Since you want this to be about 501 so bad, when they paint that tank car maybe they can do something about the rusticles on the rods of 501, the valve gear, a boiler jacket, cross heads, cross head guides, pistons, running boards, piston covers, house valves, radius rods, connecting rods, packing glands, cylander cocks, main steam pipe, blast pipe, check vales, injector leads, air taks, and cab skirting......I care, because it's fairly evident that no one in the 470 does (or at least very few).

@drvmusic

I'm trying.....but the personal attacks make it very hard to do so......
 #1040513  by b&m 1566

To steamer and Guilford guy. Please use the email option provided on this site. It will go a long ways in helping to keep this thread clean from gibberish.
 #1043817  by drvmusic

steamer69 wrote:@drvmusic

I'm trying.....but the personal attacks make it very hard to do so......
I know. You agreed and people are still poking and trying to feed the flames. Sorry.

Folks, come on, let's get back to talking about the trains and knock off any personal attacks at anyone's credibility. I, for one, hope that Jeff does NOT lock this thread, because it's a valuable resource for information on the 470's equipment.

On to other topics, I haven't seen 4268 with her new panels yet. Hoping to get up there this year to check out the progress on the physical part of the restoration. Also looking forward to seeingthe two Geeps after they arrive next month, even if the one owned by 470 is going away. It's going towards the rebirth of my favorite loco, so that's fine with me :-)
 #1044203  by steamer69

From the May 2012 Wheel Report
Paul Hallett wrote:Our good friends at the 470 club are actively continuing the work on Steam Locomotive #501's cosmetic restoration and have taken the wooden cab window frames out for repair and paint.
I guess it's better than nothing....I'm guardedly optomistic about them (470) actually doing something this year....step in the right direction, albeit a very small baby like step, it's still a step.
Paul Hallett wrote:We have switched the 470-owned GATX tank car into stall four of the round house for preparation for painting. This should be a relatively straight forward job because the car is all one color (black) and is in good condition. We have had some discussion about what kind of paint to use and will probably go with 'Crossfire' which is a brand that NAPA carries. It is a good automotive paint and is much less expensive than Imron but will last years longer than off the shelf black enamel.
Really....didn't see that coming....this is the one time I get to tell some of my fans on here I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! Don't have to pay Imron prices to get good long lasting paint quality....
 #1044212  by BR4

A lot has to do with the actual color(s) involved, though. A black, or other single dark color, isn't as susceptible
to fading, not to mention dirt, as brighter colors lie red white and blue on the BAR car. So I might use a more
expensive paint like Imron to make it last longer. There's also the matter of labor. Prepping and Taping a car
with 3 colors and lots of letterin is muc more labor intensive than prepping a one color job. Much more detail
on the BAR car than the GATX. Imron does last longer, though. Why have to repaint again in 7-10 years, when
you might get 20 or better out of Imron?

Brett's right though, this will be significantly less expensive.
 #1044224  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:From the May 2012 Wheel Report
Paul Hallett wrote:Our good friends at the 470 club are actively continuing the work on Steam Locomotive #501's cosmetic restoration and have taken the wooden cab window frames out for repair and paint.
I guess it's better than nothing....I'm guardedly optimistic about them (470) actually doing something this year....step in the right direction, albeit a very small baby like step, it's still a step.
I was going to say "Before I say I told you so..." but this is what I have been saying all along. The 501 restoration is and has been continuing all along. It's not their 100%-first-highest-sole-priority "mission from God," but it IS and HAS been going on.
Can we agree that they are looking after the WHOLE collection, not JUST the 501, not JUST the freight cars and not JUST the 4268?
Please? :wink:
steamer69 wrote:
Paul Hallett wrote:We have switched the 470-owned GATX tank car into stall four of the round house for preparation for painting. This should be a relatively straight forward job because the car is all one color (black) and is in good condition. We have had some discussion about what kind of paint to use and will probably go with 'Crossfire' which is a brand that NAPA carries. It is a good automotive paint and is much less expensive than Imron but will last years longer than off the shelf black enamel.
Really....didn't see that coming....this is the one time I get to tell some of my fans on here I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! Don't have to pay Imron prices to get good long lasting paint quality....
Ok, I absolutely agree that Imron is not always the best paint for the job. (I'll check and see what it was the VRR used on their own UTX tank car that will be on the Lerro photo special later this month.)
But, all the same, thank you for giving them credit where credit is due.
But the point that I was making before is, thus far proven, I think: The 470 Club is NOT incompetent, they're NOT neglecting any one piece of the collection for sake of all the others, NOR vice-verse, and they really ARE giving serious thought to where their money goes and not simply throwing it away on pipe dreams or wasteful projects.
Can we at least agree on that now? I hope so.
It'll make the beer that Brett buys me taste better if it's shared in sweetness rather than bitterness. :wink:
 #1044235  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:Can we agree that they are looking after the WHOLE collection, not JUST the 501, not JUST the freight cars and not JUST the 4268?
Please?
I'm not going that far yet....painting a couple of window frames doesn't change my mind completely, nore does it prove that they have been doing continuose work on it (or the entire collection for that matter)...and I still have some huge reservations with them taking on a project like Frankinengine with all of these other needs in the pipeline. That being said....

I did say that I am guardedly optimistic....that should be enough for now. At least they are slowly starting to prove me wrong, which is much better than continuing to let the collection rot. I am more than willing to give credit where credit is due....case in point. Nothing would make my crow taste better than for them to prove me wrong and actually get these publisized projects done.
Cosmo wrote:The 470 Club is NOT incompetent
Remains to be seen, but moving in a different direction than the one they have been on.....
Cosmo wrote: and not simply throwing it away on pipe dreams or wasteful projects.
That depends on what one would view as wasteful....but my mind is being changed with the change to a more realistic (and more fiscally responsable) paint for the tank car....
Cosmo wrote:thank you for giving them credit where credit is due.
As Jeff said on another thread.......
Jeff Smith wrote:Steamer is known for being very rigid where tourist operations, museums, etc. are concerned. If he's on your side, I would have to assume BRM is doing its job.
I'm more than happy to give all the credit that is earned.
Cosmo wrote:It'll make the beer that Brett buys me taste better if it's shared in sweetness rather than bitterness.
If you want some sweet sugary Beer that's all up to you, but if I'm coming all the way down there for a beer.....give me my vitamin G! ;-P