Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#909413  by Reader#108

ok everyone....here we go....I have personally sent a message to Jeff and asked if we can open a thread for the 470 club and their equipment and activities. Guys and gals, let's do us all a favor and keep it civil here. I know that I would like to have an open forum to discuss these things and I know based on feedback through other threads and sites, that there is substantial interest. Let us keep the name calling, yelling, bantering and uncivilized behavior off of here.

So, I printed out an application for the 470 Club today and will be putting my check in the mail tomorrow....$18 bucks to join....

Here is a link to their website : http://www.470rrclub.org/index.php3

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is a current member that can give us some further background info about the Club and what their current stance on their equipment is?
 #909498  by ericofmaine

Reader,

Thanks for opening this post and thank you also for sending in your membership application. We're always looking for new members! As for your inquiry as to our equipment:

Engines 4266 and 4268: We're currently looking at either purchasing or fabricating side panels for these two units. There has also been some discussion about repainting also.
Engine 501: We're looking to finish painting the running gear and having glass installed in the cab to complete the cosmetic restoration.
Freight cars: We're currently having the BAR "State of Maine" reefer prepped and when the weather warms hope to have it repainted. The remaining cars we hope to also repaint as time and money allow. Many thanks to Paul Hallet and the staff at CSRR for helping in getting this done.

That is all for now that I'm aware of, but as money and time / materials become available, other items may be looked into. Thanks for your inquiry and again, thanks for your interest!

Eric
470 Club Trustee and "Webmaster."
 #909500  by Jeff Smith

Eric and Reader,

I wish you both the best of luck in your endeavors, and I hope I spelled endeavors right.

Don't forget to use our Events page if you have any volunteer weekends, event fundraisers, that type of thing. Follow the icon at the top of the forum page, and find the hyperlink for submitting an event. I generally check the event listings once a day for approval.

Jeff
 #910653  by Otto Vondrak

Reader#108 wrote:ok everyone....here we go....I have personally sent a message to Jeff and asked if we can open a thread for the 470 club and their equipment and activities.
Why would you need to ask permission and why wouldn't the conversation be civil? I'm looking forward to learning more about the 470 Railroad Club and their activities.
 #911474  by Reader#108

Because before I realized that the 501 thread had been opened, I was under the mistaken impression that we would regularly discuss it here. I think we are on the same page here Otto.
 #912363  by Reader#108

Eric, in a previous post you alluded to 4266......is there some forthcoming work that needs to be done to her? And, is there any plan by the 470 club to put a prime mover back into 4268 and get her up and around? Or is she to be a static display? and if so, a repaint and some body work? When I was a kid, we were able to go into 4266 and sit at the controls......could this be something to be done with 4268 if left on display? Some type of educational piece of equipment?
 #912418  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:Eric, in a previous post you alluded to 4266......is there some forthcoming work that needs to be done to her? And, is there any plan by the 470 club to put a prime mover back into 4268 and get her up and around? Or is she to be a static display? and if so, a repaint and some body work? When I was a kid, we were able to go into 4266 and sit at the controls......could this be something to be done with 4268 if left on display? Some type of educational piece of equipment?
Reader,

As to the 66 (and 68 for that matter), there are several side panels that have started to rust out or deteriorate, and we're going to try to fabricate new ones and install them this spring. My understanding is that these panels are a sandwich of sheet metal "bread" around a marine grade plywood "filling." We have a couple on hand, but the company we purchased what we have no longer makes them, so we're going to have to fabricate the remainder.

In regards to 4268, never say never. It is a thought that has been entertained and we've been "testing the water" to see what is out there, but there is nothing to report as of now. As for a static piece, I believe, but could be misinformed, that the cab has been fairly well gutted (no control stand) and so probably not.

Now, MY OPINION (not the 470's) is that you'll see something happen to 4268 before anything ever happens to return 501 to operation.

Eric
 #912511  by Otto Vondrak

ericofmaine wrote:As to the 66 (and 68 for that matter), there are several side panels that have started to rust out or deteriorate, and we're going to try to fabricate new ones and install them this spring. My understanding is that these panels are a sandwich of sheet metal "bread" around a marine grade plywood "filling." We have a couple on hand, but the company we purchased what we have no longer makes them, so we're going to have to fabricate the remainder.
You might want to talk to Tri-State Chapter NRHS. They recently did extensive body work on their F3's (including panel replacement), and may be able to advise you on replacement panels for your project.

http://tristaterail.org/f3_progress_report.html

-otto-
 #912628  by b&m 1566

ericofmaine - I have a few questions
Aside from the cosmetic work that needs to be done to the 4266 and the 4268, is there any internal work that needs to be done to the 4266? I had an email conversation with a 470 club member a few years ago and in the emails I was informed the 4266 had an oil leak that needed to be rectified and that the engine also needed to be rewired which would more than likely require 4266 to be sent out to a shop that can perform the rewiring job. Do you have any further information on this?
Also, since I’m on the subject, are there any plains to paint the trucks on the 4266 back to black (either way black not only matches but looks better)? I know some B&M units with the maroon and gold paint scheme came with silver trucks but I don’t believe the F7’s were among those units. Lastly the Boston & Maine font color are different on the 66 and 68, which is the correct color font for the F7’s black, or maroon? Just like the trucks, I know the B&M had either black or maroon fonts for the maroon and gold schemes.
 #912700  by markhb

I have a quick question. It's been mentioned that there are three surviving Maine Central steam engines. One is the 470 itself, sitting alongside College Ave. in Waterville. 501 is, I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong), at Conway Scenic RR. What and where is the third? Thanks!
 #912863  by ericofmaine

Otto,

Thanks for the 411, I've contacted the fab shop to see what price / lead time may be.
b&m 1566 wrote:ericofmaine - I have a few questions
Aside from the cosmetic work that needs to be done to the 4266 and the 4268, is there any internal work that needs to be done to the 4266? I had an email conversation with a 470 club member a few years ago and in the emails I was informed the 4266 had an oil leak that needed to be rectified and that the engine also needed to be rewired which would more than likely require 4266 to be sent out to a shop that can perform the rewiring job. Do you have any further information on this?
Also, since I’m on the subject, are there any plains to paint the trucks on the 4266 back to black (either way black not only matches but looks better)? I know some B&M units with the maroon and gold paint scheme came with silver trucks but I don’t believe the F7’s were among those units. Lastly the Boston & Maine font color are different on the 66 and 68, which is the correct color font for the F7’s black, or maroon? Just like the trucks, I know the B&M had either black or maroon fonts for the maroon and gold schemes.
B&M,
The oil leak on 66 was repaired last year. As for the rest, it could use a trip somewhere for a full overhaul as anything of that vintage could. That being said, the use it sees at North Conway vs. what it might have seen hauling freight back in the day has helped the longevity for sure. As for the paint, I couldn't readily find any color photos of the F7s in the maroon, but based on what I saw on the GP7s, I would guess maroon but am nowhere near an authority. Afterall, I don't think I was 10 yet when 4266 was painted the first time. Probably no plans to repaint the trucks, but it could be a possibility.

Eric
 #912951  by b&m 1566

Eric thanks for the reply.
As for the font and truck colors go, bmcdr might able to answer those questions (if he’s even viewing this thread), he’s like a human encyclopedia for the B&M with pictures to back it up.