Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1354985  by MERailFanJay

Bummer. But at least you probably didn't encounter wet leaves on the rails on the stretch known as "Warren Hill." I've heard those are kind of a challenge sometimes.
I went on the last run on Sunday and we hit the leaves. It took a good 10 mins to get over the hill.
 #1355490  by jmar896

So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?
 #1355492  by NHV 669

jmar896 wrote:So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?
MeDoT awarded the operating contract of the line to CMQ. ME isn't "abandoning anything", they're simply being shown the door. Their equipment is headed to NJ, where Morrisville & Erie (their parent company) is based.
 #1355514  by Watchman318

There was apparently a chartered excursion on Friday (10/30), for one of the unions at BIW.
Today (Sunday morning), 489 and 764 went east with freight.
Word is that the Christmas special in Bath will be run, and the Rockland-Thomaston special that's held earlier in December is "possible." That's a quote from the MERR general manager, in the Wiscasset Newspaper.
 #1355560  by MaineCoonCat

NHV 669 wrote:
jmar896 wrote:So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?
MeDoT awarded the operating contract of the line to CMQ. ME isn't "abandoning anything", they're simply being shown the door. Their equipment is headed to NJ, where Morrisville & Erie (their parent company) is based.
Any word about the most important asset; the employees? Will CMQ take them on? Will M&E "redeploy" them elsewhere?
 #1355561  by jmar896

NHV 669 wrote:
Oh, I was under the impression ME owned the Augusta branch. I also only thought the Rockland branch has a operating contract with CMQ starting the first of next year.
 #1355724  by eustis22

>Any word about the most important asset; the employees? Will CMQ take them on? Will M&E "redeploy" them elsewhere?

The temps and volunteers are going to be let go. The FTEs are going to NJ, per station personnel I spoke with 2 weeks ago.
 #1356189  by Otto Vondrak

M&E's intentions are pretty well spelled out in their press release:

http://www.merail.com/2015-09-04_MaineE ... elease.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1356410  by markhb

The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
 #1356567  by gokeefe

markhb wrote:The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
My impression as well.
 #1356617  by BandA

markhb wrote:The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
Is it cheaper to mow/cut/spray the ROW periodically, or leave it abandoned and have to clear it? Say over 20 years...
 #1356709  by gokeefe

BandA wrote:
Is it cheaper to mow/cut/spray the ROW periodically, or leave it abandoned and have to clear it? Say over 20 years...
Much cheaper to continue the spray and mow program. Large overgrowth and vegetation will damage drainage, culverts, track structure and other parts of the property. It can also cause flooding.