Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

Dick H

Re: Maine Eastern Railroad (MERR) Discussion

Post by Dick H » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Last Passenger run of Maine Eastern. 51 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-IGy75dLd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MERailFanJay

Post by MERailFanJay » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Bummer. But at least you probably didn't encounter wet leaves on the rails on the stretch known as "Warren Hill." I've heard those are kind of a challenge sometimes.
I went on the last run on Sunday and we hit the leaves. It took a good 10 mins to get over the hill.

BandA

Post by BandA » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 am

Has the successful contract been signed / published?

jmar896

Post by jmar896 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:33 pm

So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?

NHV 669

Post by NHV 669 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:54 pm

jmar896 wrote:So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?
MeDoT awarded the operating contract of the line to CMQ. ME isn't "abandoning anything", they're simply being shown the door. Their equipment is headed to NJ, where Morrisville & Erie (their parent company) is based.
Casey

NHVT 669 sits at the south end of the "Pompy" line in White River Jct., VT on 4/29/1993. Photo by Richard Roberg.

Watchman318

Post by Watchman318 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:35 pm

There was apparently a chartered excursion on Friday (10/30), for one of the unions at BIW.
Today (Sunday morning), 489 and 764 went east with freight.
Word is that the Christmas special in Bath will be run, and the Rockland-Thomaston special that's held earlier in December is "possible." That's a quote from the MERR general manager, in the Wiscasset Newspaper.

MaineCoonCat
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Post by MaineCoonCat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 am

NHV 669 wrote:
jmar896 wrote:So is ME abandoning the whole stretch from Brunswick to Augusta? Has a notice went out yet or has the STB approved abandonment? Does anyone know what ME is planning to do with there equipment, especially the passenger sets?
MeDoT awarded the operating contract of the line to CMQ. ME isn't "abandoning anything", they're simply being shown the door. Their equipment is headed to NJ, where Morrisville & Erie (their parent company) is based.
Any word about the most important asset; the employees? Will CMQ take them on? Will M&E "redeploy" them elsewhere?
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."

jmar896

Post by jmar896 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 am

NHV 669 wrote:
Oh, I was under the impression ME owned the Augusta branch. I also only thought the Rockland branch has a operating contract with CMQ starting the first of next year.

NHV 669

Post by NHV 669 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Sorry, it appears I misread your whole statement. Still a no, as the state owns both lines.
Casey

NHVT 669 sits at the south end of the "Pompy" line in White River Jct., VT on 4/29/1993. Photo by Richard Roberg.

eustis22

Post by eustis22 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 am

>Any word about the most important asset; the employees? Will CMQ take them on? Will M&E "redeploy" them elsewhere?

The temps and volunteers are going to be let go. The FTEs are going to NJ, per station personnel I spoke with 2 weeks ago.

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:14 am

M&E's intentions are pretty well spelled out in their press release:

http://www.merail.com/2015-09-04_MaineE ... elease.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

markhb

Post by markhb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:45 am

The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

markhb wrote:The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
My impression as well.
gokeefe

BandA

Post by BandA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:39 pm

markhb wrote:The Lower Road from Brunswick to Augusta was not part of the RFP the state put out; my interpretation is that MeDOT is going to allow that to lie fallow rather than pay someone to maintain it for no immediate reason.
Is it cheaper to mow/cut/spray the ROW periodically, or leave it abandoned and have to clear it? Say over 20 years...

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:09 am

BandA wrote:
Is it cheaper to mow/cut/spray the ROW periodically, or leave it abandoned and have to clear it? Say over 20 years...
Much cheaper to continue the spray and mow program. Large overgrowth and vegetation will damage drainage, culverts, track structure and other parts of the property. It can also cause flooding.
gokeefe

Return to “New England Railfan”