Railroad Forums 

• Downeast Scenic Railroad (DSRX) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1471197  by b&m 1566

Thanks, my phone wasn't down loading the page earlier. I'm a little surprised they are still only operating on weekends, I thought for sure they would have a couple of weekday departures (like a Tuesday, Thursday type of thing) by now.
 #1473410  by douellet

E4D94868-C19A-45B6-86B0-E9024A571331.jpeg
CCEEFDC3-2907-4F91-B271-6C815E39477D.jpeg
Coach 155 was pulled out of the “paint shop” today by Alco S4 number 1055. Getting ready for next weekend’s first passenger runs.
 #1473435  by douellet

0841282E-CAC3-4E16-B0BD-F96D4A8ABD48.jpeg
1FF7F70C-35AF-406C-8871-5B070EA405F1.jpeg
1055 working the yard at Washington Junction, assembling the consist for next weekend’s passenger runs.
 #1477426  by gokeefe

b&m 1566 wrote:I never realized the state was going to repair the bridge so soon.
More has been done than meets the eye in those photos. Quite a bit of concrete work underway there (and I'm sure more to come).
 #1488624  by jwhite07

I was up in Ellsworth on Columbus Day weekend. Didn't get the chance to ride but did swing by Washington Junction to ogle the new shop building and look around briefly from the trail parking lot. Then my wife and I walked a ways westward down the trail, and between Main Street/Washington Junction Road and Wyman Road we saw the train approaching on its way back to the yard at the end of the day and got some nice photos.

Couple of questions - anyone have any idea what purpose/business that the now cut off siding between those two roads served? And, while it was evident on Columbus Day weekend that the Union River bridge was close-but-not-quite ready for service, did DSRX manage to meet their "end of the summer" goal of getting onto the bridge the next weekend (10/13-14, their last operating weekend of 2018)?
 #1490347  by bml1149

Good evening,
The cut off siding was for a propane dealer. Petroline I think the name was. I do not know when it was put in. When the trail extension was built, it was decided to pull the switch. It could be put back if the need for it arises.
We did not meet our goal of getting across the bridge before the end of the season. We did get all the ties in between the Route 179 crossing and 500 feet west of the bridge, or I should say our contractor did. We have been ballasting and tamping it for the last 2 weekends. The west side is done and about half the east side is done.
The bridge timbers have not been replaced, yet. We expect them to be done by the end of next month.
Leverett Fernald
 #1490401  by b&m 1566

It's really neat to see this railroad grow right before our eyes, exciting times for sure. Hopefully the wife and I can get back up there soon, to hop on aboard for another ride.
 #1518886  by bubbytrains

Just wanted to post that my wife and I rode the afternoon train today, and -once again- we enjoyed ourselves greatly. We are impressed by how professional, enthusiastic, and friendly this all-volunteer group is. The sizable crowd of patrons on board seemed to enjoy the leisurely ride. Great narration; I learned many new things I hadn’t heard on our last ride in 2014. The volunteers were all great, including the ticket window, conductor, brakemen, engineer, and “Roger the Water Boy”. I really enjoyed the extra trip over the Union River bridge. There were some kayakers navigating the river downstream.

I highly recommend this well-run scenic railroad.

Alan
 #1544022  by MEC407

From the BDN article:

"The tender car, which will carry up to 98,000 gallons of water..." (emphasis added)

Is that a typo?