Railroad Forums 

• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#969761  by ebtmikado

So, can we look forward to her for Foliage season?
Foliage season begins in just three short weeks. I strongly doubt that it will be ready so soon.
Good things take time...it will be worth the wait. She looks massive now that she's on her wheels.
 #969986  by Cosmo

Folks, on this somber day of remembrance, I wish you all peace and healing and hope for a brighter future.
 #970005  by MEC407

Hear, hear.
 #972431  by atsf sp

I am wondering about the location of some older equipment that was at the valley railroad. The first piece of equipment is the 1930 Brill M55. http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20020 ... ODE=&POYE=
What was the heritage of this unit, where is it now, and when did it leave the property?
The second inquiry is when did BM 1109 stop being displayed at the main yard and moved to the storage yard?
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20071 ... ODE=&POYE=
Third what was the 0-4-0t 10 SSW's heritage, where is it now, and when did it leave the property?
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20110 ... ODE=&POYE=
Fourth what was the #3 Fireless cookers heritage, where is it now and when did it leave?
 #972459  by daylight4449

That 0-4-0 is at CT eastern. Built with roller-bearings and fired with diesel fuel in an attempt to make an economic competitor to diesel switchers. It's sister, #11, is somewhere in Indiana last I checked. It did get restored at the valley, and I had a chance to talk with the gentleman who fired it. They almost ran out of fuel trying to get it to steam properly, so the complexity to an unfamiliar firer is apparent.
 #972503  by ABP4014

BM 1109 was probbally moved to Old Saybrook around 1996-1997 around the time of the first equipment move to the Naugy . the locomotive is owened by RMNE and is now on displaty in Thomaston Ct.

The 0-4-0 locomotive was from The Palmer Ma. Wire Mill originally. an inspection at the Valley when tubes were removed determined that the boiler suffers from hydrogen enbrittlement due to it being stored for long periods of time full of water. so suffice to say that the boiler needs to be replaced if it is ever to run again.

Al P.
 #972505  by shadyjay

The date on the photo on NERAIL for #10 is incorrect... 1981 possibly, but not 1991. #10 did run briefly at Essex in the 70s.... there's a clip of it running in the Mark 1 Valley Railroad video. By 1990, it was resting on Track 11 next to the engine house and not looking anything like that photo - the saddle tanks were stored in the South Yard for years.

#1109 replaced the #4096 in 1993 and only was in the front position on #7 track for the 1993 season, paired with CV Caboose #4014. She was replaced with U25B #2525 and VRR Caboose #4010 and the two remained there until August 1996. I've heard #1109 is now heading up the display track on the Naugy in Thomaston. #4014 also went to the Naugy, but before she left, in late 1994 or 1995, she ran behind the North Pole Express.

The fireless cooker, #3, was stored for many years in South Yard, not looking much more than a rusted out tank car with a few items sticking up. I thought it would rust there forever until mid 1995 when it came in the shop for refurbishment. Today she's on display at the Tanger Outlets a few miles down the road in Westbrook. It was strictly a cosmetic restoration and was fast-tracked. I think it was less than 6 months.

M-55 was partially restored in the 1980s but by 1994, it became a parlor car seat storage area. At some point in the late 90s, she left for FL for full restoration, ran for a while on the Mt Dora Scenic Railway in FL, then on the Bel-Del in NJ, and has now disappeared. I envisioned the M-55 running the Saybrook Shuttle.
 #972512  by Otto Vondrak

ABP4014 wrote:BM 1109 was probbally moved to Old Saybrook around 1996-1997 around the time of the first equipment move to the Naugy . the locomotive is owened by RMNE and is now on displaty in Thomaston Ct.
B&M 1109: http://naugy.blogspot.com/2007/10/bosto ... sw-1s.html
 #972544  by boatsmate

the Brill Car was painted and had the floor replace in 1984, the widows where also replaced, If I remember correctly Fred and Taz test painted the car tro see how the paint they where trying worked out... they eventually painted a coach after the test (Correct me if I am wrng Fred) the # 10 SSW was Max's engine..., he would collect cans from around the property, (could spot a can olong the RW from the cab of the 0800) when I left in 84 he had a couple of hundred dollars put away for retubing and inspecting the engine. the picture was probly taken in 81 as I think iut was moved from there later.

Capt Bill
 #972793  by Brendan

Another milestone was reach today as the New Haven style cab with is arched windows was craned on and fitted to the engine. For all you rivet counters out there, I was the one who was asked to deign the cab, and over saw its construction by Valley and friends of the Valley RR. It is based on photos and drawings of other J1 new haven engines, then adjusted it to fit on this engine. So you can blame me for it not being exact, but I think its a really good representation. The tender is also now attached and the cross heads and some of the eccentric rods are in place. 3025 is getting closer to completion each day now.