Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#967184  by H.F.Malone

Thanks for so thoughtfully providing a roadmap to our yard. The yard is not open to the public, there have been illegal activities there in the past, there is NO reason to publicise the yard, any of the stuff therein, or the plans for relocation. WHY do you persist in your quest for total knowledge about things that do not concern you? Simply put, unless you are a participant/volunteer/member/contributor, it's none of your business. Why do you think YOU are owed any explanation about the internal decisions of this (or any other) organization?

It's not a matter of being "snarky"; it's a matter of being discreet and not broadcasting internal business to the world. Do you understand that concept?
 #967327  by thebigham

^Your response to my questions is snarky. Not professional at all...

If it's not supposed to be public knowledge and I understand why it cannot be public knowledge, type, "We cannot discuss this matter at this time."

I don't know what I have done to you except ask a few questions.

There is feature here called "Foes." PLEASE add my name to your Foes list so you will no longer see any of my posts.

This is the way you treat potential volunteers, HF Malone? You are not setting a good example for the RMNE.

I have been a member of Railroad.Net for 13 years. I have never had problems with anyone here except you.
 #967364  by Noel Weaver

thebigham wrote:
H.F.Malone wrote:To answer your questions, Chris:

A bunch.

Maybe.

Probably.

Now a question for you, if you don't mind: Are you interested in contributing actual physical work or actual donated dollars towards this project?
Another snarky remark!!!!

Why are you guys like this???

I asked a question? I'm curious. I'm interested.

I live in NYC. I have no way to get to CT. I am unemployed. I have no money.

Chris
I think if you had a genuine interest in helping out, you could find a way to get to Thomaston. As for complaining on here, you are not helping things one bit. This is a railroad not somebody's amusement. They have to conform to various federal regulations and other conditions practically all with volunteer help. In short a some folks on here are not afraid to get their hands dirty and do some work toward keeping this running. Your demand for answers is not called for especially if you do not have money nor transportation anyway. In short, BACK OFF!!!!!!
Noel Weaver
 #967368  by Jack Powell

thebigham wrote: This is the way you treat potential volunteers, HF Malone?
I think not, Mr. Ham. You already indicated to Mr. Malone that you are not a potential volunteer, nor in a position to contribute even a dime to the efforts in question:
thebigham wrote: I live in NYC. I have no way to get to CT. I am unemployed. I have no money.
This sure seems pretty preclusive of any intention to be of any help in any way, even though you evidently have all the time in the world on your hands, unlike every one of this organizations' volunteers that I've ever met, some of whom I know to live in New York and presumably have empty passenger seats. Then there are those who work from home, in some cases much further away than yours, by performing administrative tasks, coordinating other volunteers, producing newsletter and website information, or working on small projects within their own skill sets - many of which are considerable, but given freely.

Mr. Malone simply called it like it is; your response is to call him names. Very sad.
 #967401  by MEC407

OK, can we get back on-topic please?

If someone asks a question and you don't want to answer it (and by "you" I mean any/all of you), simply don't answer it. Sarcastic responses are not necessary.
 #967428  by Jack Powell

MEC407 wrote: If someone asks a question and you don't want to answer it (and by "you" I mean any/all of you), simply don't answer it. Sarcastic responses are not necessary.
In that case, would you (meaning "you," the co-moderator) be so kind as to indentify which of the responses to Mr. Ham's inquiries you deem to be "sarcastic", and define that term for the purposes of this forum henceforth? Bearing in mind that it was he who evidently didn't like the truthful answer he received from an official source while confirming that he is unwilling to assist the efforts in question in the slightest bit, but nevertheless then styling himself a "potential volunteer?" That's worse than any sarcasm, it's hypocrisy, and tolerence of the same while admonishing those who rightly called him on it is frankly a kick in the pants to the people who have labored long and hard and/or otherwise sacrificed in order to ensure the very existence of the things he continually demands to know about, as if it were a matter of right.

And how exactly is the all-to-frequent habit of those "railfans" who aren't willing to lift a finger or contribute a dime toward preservation efforts, but who demand to know exactly what's moving over the tracks and when (so as to take a picture of it, of course) in any way "off-topic" in a discussion about a railroad museum? It's not at all off-topic, it's a recurring theme across the nation. Demonstrating otherwise is easy: just ask "what can I do to help?"
 #968153  by Otto Vondrak

thebigham wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
H.F.Malone wrote:Now a question for you, if you don't mind: Are you interested in contributing actual physical work or actual donated dollars towards this project?
For Chris: http://rmne.org/volunteer.htm
Complete unnecessary, Otto!!

You're right, how foolish of me to provide information on how you can help support a project you expressed interest in.

-otto-
 #968173  by MEC407

Jack Powell wrote:And how exactly is the all-to-frequent habit of those "railfans" who aren't willing to lift a finger or contribute a dime toward preservation efforts, but who demand to know exactly what's moving over the tracks and when (so as to take a picture of it, of course) in any way "off-topic" in a discussion about a railroad museum?
It's not. What is off-topic is the bickering and the discussing of people's personal situations. I also don't like this idea that no one should ask questions unless they're a volunteer or have made a donation. When did that become a rule? Am I not allowed to go into the Union Pacific forum and ask questions about that railroad unless I work for UP or own UP stock? This is a message forum. People come here to ask questions and learn about things. It's not the employee breakroom or the company boardroom.

If any of you don't want to answer someone's question, that's fine. Don't answer it. But unless I hear otherwise from the site administrator, anyone is allowed to ask questions whether they're involved in the organization or not.
 #968183  by Noel Weaver

I can remember back in the 60's when I was quite active at Branford and involved in various trips on the Central Vermont and the New Haven. We had a couple of trips with CNR 6218 out of New London. These trips were risky financially as they were very expensive to operate and we being a non-profit for sure were well aware of the risk. Still if they worked out OK we figured we could make a reasonable profit from their operation and that ended up the case in regard to two of three 6218 trips at the time. I remember a mail inquiry regarding details of schedule, photo stops and all of the details. I was really upset with this one and I answered the letter (everything by mail in the 60's) in no uncertain terms that we would not give this person one bit of information, such being reserved for ticket holders on the morning of the trip. The Naugy is not like CSX or the NYS&W for that matter either, it is a non-profit organization trying to make ends meet and still run a historic piece of railroad with historic equipment. For people who contribute nothing to demand all sorts of inside information regarding internal affairs and equipment moves is going out of bounds in my opinion. I think the answers (mine and others) are very appropriate in this case. Just like the person had the right to ask the questions, the people whom responded also had the right to give the answers that were given. Bottom line, If you want to know what's going on, get involved, offer to help and there are many ways that you can do that. Don't just sit on your behind and complain just because the answers you got did not fit your questions or demands. It is as SIMPLE as that.
Noel Weaver
 #968200  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin: Okay, folks, let's take a deep breath. When did this turn into the Conway thread? It's like bizarro.railroad.net :-D

I'm going to take down the links after consulation with the moderator. While these links are certainly publicly viewable and anyone with an internet connection and a little skill can view them, I'm going to err on the side of caution as RMNE personnel / volunteers have expressed reservations about their posting. And, I'm not sure what the point of posting them was anyway. However, I am not setting a precedent here. This forum is for the discussion of the NAUG/RMNE.

As for the "snarkiness of the thread" snarky is in the eye of the beholder. I am going to reinforce MEC407's admonition to tone it down a bit. You may be frustrated at the questions, and I can certainly understand your aggravation, annoyance, reluctance, and/or reticence (wait, I'm checking my thesaurus for more words....) to post details on the operation. That said, and I can understand the motivation of some of the responses, let's tone it down. I think there's a history here, with automatic responses. Keep in mind we have some eager railfans here of different levels of knowledge.

On the other side of the equation, you can't just request a whole laundry list of things you want to know and expect or demand a response. If you can't get there anyway, why is it important?

That said, while questions are certainly welcome, the volunteers at these operations must get awful tired of the second guessing. While I like to have questions out in the open in the interest of transparency, and to give the organizations a chance to defend themselves (see aforementioned Conway thread), that's not a license to continually say "you should have done this or that", etc. These are people who give their blood, sweat, and tears on a volunteer basis to run an operation that brings joy to many.

In short, pi$$ off the railfans, you have no audience, but pi$S off the volunteers and donors, and you have no railroad.

Thanks for your indulgence. Now back to the discussion of the RMNE, which, from all accounts that I hear of, is a wonderful operation.
 #971040  by Mr rt

To: H. F. Malone & other members of Nagie,
I would guess I'm part of a group of railfans with a casual interst in Nagie. I'm also on a P&W Yahoo site, Friends of Valley site amoung others.
And as I've said before I a member of three trolley museums, two of which I help out at, one of these I'm a Trustee.
I've been to the storage yard at Old Saybrook, just because I was curious ... did a drive by only ... well actually parked across the street & gave it a long look.
Have never been to Nagie ... B-U-T when I operate & the subject comes up of RxR vs. trolley I mention your operation, i.e. vs. Danbury the museum to nowhere ... I also mention the Valley, Steamtown, & Strausberg (have bought a ticket at all three) I've done many drive bys of the Valley ... mainly because it's on my way home. I would guess you figure I'm interested in that little steamer you are running, yep ! The "friends of the Valley" were part of a Haddam Meadows event this part week-end ... saw the fire works from my house on the other side of the river.

Chris: You may have no job & little money, B-U-T you could hitch a ride with one of these folks & break a sweat.
I have a big problem with subway railfans who turn out every time the old equipment comes out but never buy a ticket.
If you love this stuff you can find some way to help !
 #971044  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:To: H. F. Malone & other members of Nagie, I would guess I'm part of a group of railfans with a casual interst in Nagie...
Have never been to Nagie ...
You are most welcome to "drive by" and visit the Naugy any time. Introduce yourself and we'd be more than happy to show you around.
Chris: You may have no job & little money, B-U-T you could hitch a ride with one of these folks & break a sweat.
A good point... Plus, there are many ways to help a cause you are interested in without contributing money or breaking a sweat. Ask us how!

Hey, seen our new web site lately?

http://rmne.org/

-otto-
 #971114  by Noel Weaver

1. The NAUGY (correct term and spelling)
2. The Danbury Museum is much more than the "museum to nowhere". They have a very historic collection of equipment from all over the northeast and I suspect there is more in the works not too far down the road as well. Given more support and it could become so much more. Housing this historic collection out of the weather would help a lot and a more presentable display would help too. As always money talks here. Where else will you find New York Central MU's, a Boston and Maine 2-6-0 and at least a part of the Roger Williams as well as much more. While it is true at present that they do not have a place to run trains, there are other operations that can do that while Danbury has the space to preserve stuff and this is just as important. They also have one of only two turntables in Connecticut.
Noel Weaver