Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#934942  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Flagg Coal 75's owners arrived yesterday and have been prepping the locomotive for service on the Naug.

B&M 1109 (EMD SW-1, built-1939) was safely moved from Chase Yard to the Thomaston Station housetrack today. This marks the first time this engine has been formally displayed since it's arrival on the Naug.
 #934946  by CVRA7

Did some switching today, and "3rd generation brakeman" got promoted to conductor and did a fine job. After re-spotting visiting steam locomotive FCC #75 for better access at the Shop Yard, the crew headed for Waterville and retrieved B&M SW1 1109, and brought it up to the Thomaston Station bulk track (display track), and it is now at the north end on the bumper post. A few of the cars were repositioned, such as the crane and its accompanying gondola. The NH wood boxcar was brought back to the shop yard.
FL9 NH (CDoT) 2019 was used for power today as the U23B still is inside the Shop, but it should be out this weekend.
 #934952  by CannaScrews

25-May-2011 switched out the display track, bringing B&M EMC SW-1 1109 to the head of track in preparation for Flagg Coal #75 operation.

A very historic railroad artifact - B&M 1109 was part of the early dieselization movement which was interrupted by World War 2.

Built by the Electro-Motive Corporation, the switcher exhibits the characteristics of a steam locomotive with its heavy frame and carbody.
The loco is in its original configuration with its Allis-Chalmers electrical equipment (Flash Gordon & Frankenstein come to mind!).

The links below provide a synopsis of the day's activity.

PS - FL9s are not as good for switching as the 26 year older SW1 would have been in its prime!

http://al-g.smugmug.com/Naugy/Special-e ... 0030-M.jpg

http://al-g.smugmug.com/Naugy/Special-e ... 01_k6fWTFt
 #934954  by MEC407

Looks good!

What's the deal with that old Ward school bus in the background?
 #934964  by Otto Vondrak

MEC407 wrote:What's the deal with that old Ward school bus in the background?
It is not on RMNE property, is all I know.
 #935244  by CannaScrews

Otto Vondrak wrote:
MEC407 wrote:What's the deal with that old Ward school bus in the background?
It is not on RMNE property, is all I know.

True, it is located in "Johnny's Junkyard" just south of Huntingdon Ave in Waterbury.

DO NOT enter the property, don't even think about it. As far as I know, it is a "free fire zone".
 #935261  by MEC407

I like old school buses, but not enough to get shot at!

Well, maybe if it was a Carpenter school bus in PRISTINE condition... but a Ward? Nope, not worth bullet wounds. :wink:
 #935562  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

daylight4449 wrote:
3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:Maybe a draper tape is in order to expideite switching with the FL9?
The FL9 is fine the way she is.
Not saying she isn't. It was a SD60F-type joke.
Oh. Well, I don't speak SD60F. Sorry.
 #935924  by EDM5970

This weekend and next, (June 3 through June 5) the Railroad Museum of New England in Thomaston, CT is hosting Flagg Coal 75, as they did this time last year. If you are in the area, this is an event well worth attending. The 75 puts on quite a show, hauling three of the heavyweight coaches along the scenic Naugatuck River. Although a small engine, all the sights, sounds and smells of a working steam engine are there.

More information can be found on RMNE's website, http://www.rmne.org. To steal a bit of thunder, the locomotive owner's have lettering of the front of their motorhome, 'Somethin' Special'. F.C. 75 is truly something special, something you should make the effort to ride behind.
 #936082  by CVRA7

I had some fun over the past few days running it on several trips. My wife Sue and her sister also took a run yesterday, with Sue running and her sister firing - they did very well, especially since Sue's experience has been all diesel and her sister's only firing experience was on a steam boat that burned anthracite (hard) coal.
Too bad you couldn't make it down Mike.