Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#888723  by Otto Vondrak

Thread for the discussion of the Conway Scenic Railroad's operations, equipment, and history.

Official Site: http://www.conwayscenic.com/
 #889263  by #7470

44 tonner wrote:The two that are on her?... :p A CN one and a B&M one If I remember correctly
haha yes the two that are on her. i know one is a regular or they both are i think but i remember in i think 07 one of the whistles was from an employee and sounded way different. anyways, is the B&M whistle the 6 chime or the 3 chime?
 #890373  by #7470

greenus90 wrote:Think they will run steam this year prior to peak foliage season?
As I've said many times before, while i was up there last summer I asked about 7470. The employee told me they didn't run her in the summer of 2010 because they were busy with the new diesels and the Hattie Evans. So I asked if that meant that they're running her for the summer of 2011 and he said that that was the plan. So I guess we'll see but that was coming from an employee I talked to in the roundhouse.
 #890617  by superwarp1

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:Well I guess I'll be the one to share :

http://www.conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?f ... heelreport

To answer your steam question. We will not see 7470 until RF's wknd, other than a possible MBRE (rumored) excursion.

I go up every summer. If there's no steam there's really no point for me to go anymore. I'll talk to ever mans the booth this year at the Amherst show and incurage them to push for summer running.
 #890624  by b&m 1566

When they chose last year to limit the 7470’s operation to fall excursions only, I was under the impression that this was a permanent decision for the foreseeable future. Paul’s announcement in the Wheel Report only confirms my initial impression.
I don’t like it but it is what it is!
 #891269  by SilverLakeRailroad

Oh for god's sake guys. We all knew long ago that they wouldn't run 7470 this year. It costs too much, few people want to shovel the coal, the people complain of cinders. If you want steam go somewhere else. It's the unfortunate truth... It's still an awesome place to visit, isn't it. Make a day out of it, go to WMCRR, and then CSRR so you get both!

Sure I don't like it, I was even mad at them for a while about it, but what can we do? If they choose to run the railroad cheaper, complaining here won't change their mind! All I know is that I've heard form a MBRE member that something big is in the works and it will make everything better for us railfans...

Enough of the complaining. If you want to complain go to the other site, you'll be welcomed there, but if you go over there you'll certainly be bored because the same complaint is said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Lets not let that happen here eh? One site for that crap is enough.
 #891367  by Otto Vondrak

SilverLakeRailroad wrote:...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...
Another solution: If you folks want to see steam in the summer (or any other time), why not approach the railroad with a proposal for a charter?

-otto-
 #891443  by SilverLakeRailroad

Otto Vondrak wrote:
SilverLakeRailroad wrote:...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...
Another solution: If you folks want to see steam in the summer (or any other time), why not approach the railroad with a proposal for a charter?

-otto-
A railroad.net charter, good luck

Actually on second thought thats a good idea? Who would join the ride for that? All us railfans can get our steam fill!

If you think its a good idea just say so, and maybe if there were enough people Otto could start it? eh?
 #891507  by Reader#108

I know that my family and I for sure would go....nice to be back aboard! Someone broke into my home right after my daughter was born and stole all my DVD's and of course my laptop.....I was hoping/thinking that they were going to go to Fabyan's in July.....my thinking is that maybe perhaps we are going to see a motive power shake up again....I am under the impression that the U-Boats are going to go away and I am sure that they are looking for another smaller diesel to run (another GP) to back up 573.....we all know that 15 is going to depart for north of the border and maybe that other 44 tonner too? i think that until alot of these other motive power issues shake out that we will see a limit on 7470.....JUST GUESSING....i have not heard anything, or spoken to anyone, or would have the access to but it seems like a good place to start? They have alot that they seem to be doing to improve the service....Steam In The Snow, running during vaca week, lots of Polar Express, a 2 day railfan weekend.They also seem to be redoing alot of the fleet (new paint and such...i.e. new doors on the F7's last year...turntable refurbish, new bathrooms, new dining car, rework on existing coaches, new locomotives). I for one and glad to have the excuse to go in the fall...what better time to see her in action? As I have said a trillion times, I want to see the steam every single time I walk out the front door of Zeb's.....but the reality is.....every fall when I walk out of Zeb's. Take in the Silver Lake, The Pumpkin People and CSRR all in the same day! I've done it!
 #891540  by Mikejf

Reader, sorry to hear of your recent misfortune. Glad you are back. It is interesting to speculate about motive power. I myself think one of the boats will be departing as scrap, with the other recieving the good engine. But that is a lot to do for a little railroad. Guess we will find out soon enough. The 15 will be headed out soon. Paul stated they want it to work on to get it ready.

Mike