Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#956953  by Jeff Smith

[sarcasm]Gee, good thing we're censoring all bad news of Conway Scenic since we're puppets out there to do someone else's bidding.....Lord knows we have nothing better to do with our time than provide grist for our critics to post elsewhere (since deleted, I note).[/sarcasm]
greenus90 wrote:
#7470 wrote:What are the negatives that come out of running her for the month prior to her season if she's gonna get all steamed up tomorrow?
They would run it, if only they were serious about running a steam program.
superwarp1 wrote:From what I have heard from the one train crew that I talked to last June when I rode is this. The lone owner of the Conway Scenic is very tight with the money and he doesn't like running the 7470 do to cost(figure about double of what it takes to run a diesel). The only way to get them to change this policy is for the Conway to change hands.

Conway scenic is in business to make money, plan and simple. Yes they have some nice vintage equipment but if it didn't make money or cost to much to operate it would be gone.
b&m 1566 wrote:Brush fires along a two mile stretch of track from Notchland Inn to Crawford Notch sends fire departments from Conway to Bethlehem to the area. More on the story can be found here.
I've been told the notch train departure from Crawford's was delayed about two hours with 573 at the helm.
 #956962  by Jeff Smith

My sympathies to those killed in the recent traffic incident which may potentially have involved "chasing" the CSRX. I haven't seen any more news on this tragedy, but would like to take the opportunity to remind those of you railfans who "chase" to do so with safety as your first consideration.
 #956967  by merrman

I would just like to pint out that the accident on Rt 302 occurred close to an hour BEFORE the train got to
that area. There is no evidence that I have seen published, proving that railfans were involved. Speculation
and accusations against CSRR management on another site, for failing to provide traffic control are absurd.
 #956968  by MEC407

Are there any news articles about this? I tried a couple of different Google searches and couldn't find anything.
 #956975  by Jeff Smith

merrman wrote:I would just like to pint out that the accident on Rt 302 occurred close to an hour BEFORE the train got to
that area. There is no evidence that I have seen published, proving that railfans were involved. Speculation
and accusations against CSRR management on another site, for failing to provide traffic control are absurd.
I agree; it's way too premature to assess judgement as to the culpability of anyone involved, or if it was even related to CSRX. Thus, my qualification of "may potentially have". Since the accident was mentioned here, whether or not it involved "chasers", I wanted to use the opportunity to remind railfans to be safe.

This is the type of nonsense published on other sites which justifies our moderation practices (links not provided, but I did get a PDF of the post):
John Smythe wrote:YES!! Russ Seybolds failure to have hired some police details in order to maintain order at photo opportune spots along the trip route resulted in loss of a life yesterday. The blood of the deceased will be on the hands of Rusty. I hope you're proud of yourself Rusty. All the deceased wanted to do was watch the train.... now look what happened.
John Smythe wrote:July 31, 2011 at 11:40 PM

John Smythe
Site Owner
On a more sour note........ New England Railfan has received word that there were several motor vehicles involved in a chain collision accident today which resulted in at least one death as a result of train chasers following #7470 from one location to another. Now it looks like Rusty has blood on his hands. More information as news comes in.
 #956976  by Jeff Smith

miketrainnut wrote:Yes. Automobile. I don't know where else the chasers would be. Happened when everyone was trying to move to the next location.

On a positive note, pictures have started to appear on NERail.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20110 ... 721707.jpg
Mike,

Do you have any verified or specific knowledge that railfans were involved?

Jeff
Site Admin
 #957013  by jscola30

At our hotel last night, there was a couple talking to our waitress who had been in the accident. No knowing that a fatality had occured, seeing the police from the train, I jokingly said to someone "maybe it was the chasers." Condolences to those involved. That said, I had a fantastic time on a historic trip and got a few great shots. Two questions I have

Has #7470 ever been down Redstone? (idea for the 40th anniversary perhaps if not sooner?)

also I remember when I was little, in the early 90s, the Rt. 302 crossing near the scenic overlook being paved over. When was this done?

(Post edited)
 #957042  by Dick H

So far, I have seen just two news items on the accident.

The one in the Union Leader had almost no information.
This one from NH Public Radio has some info:

http://www.nhpr.org/one-person-dies-acc ... tton-woods

While waiting for the 7470 to cross Rt. 302 east of Fabyans,
it was mentioned among the fans there that there had been
an accident. So 7470 had not even reached Fabyans at the
time of the accident. Fans heading to the Rt. 3 crossing and
on to Hazens were detoured onto Cherry Mountain Rd., which
is a narrow dirt road up and over the mountain and is actually
closed in the winter. That was a bit of an adventure. This
road led to Rt. 115, which you took south to Airport Rd. and
then to Hazens.
 #957049  by eriemike

Myself and a bunch of fellow railfans followed the 7470 as it made its way to Hazens making the day almost perfect. We had made it to Fayban's about a 1/2 hour ahead of the train. As other's have noted in previous posts, the accident happened long before the train showed up in that general location (approximately 30 to 45 minutes) about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile north of Fayban's. When we were ready to head out from Fayban's we were re-routed over a dirt rode and met up with the 7470 several times after that before it made its final destination to Hazens. On the way back we figured the accident was cleared, but it wasn't. There was a tent over the vehicle and a number of fire trucks surrrounding the accident scene, enough so that my 8 year old son could not see anything, but the adults in the car, sadley, knew what had happened. They did let cars squeeze by, but going by such a scene put a huge damper on what was otherwise a great day. My thoughts and prayers are with that person and family. For others to make self-serving comments about the accident, all I can say is shame on you!
 #957094  by shadyjay

jscola30 wrote:Has #7470 ever been down Redstone? (idea for the 40th anniversary perhaps if not sooner?)

Yes, on the 470 Club trip in October of 2007. Here's a video I shot of it passing Kearsarge (North Conway-MEC "station"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vF0qvT ... OiTHp0kqQs

We left N. Conway (B&M) north to Mtn Jct, backed down the Redstone branch with #573 leading, then leaving Redstone, #573 uncoupled and #7470 powered us north to Bartlett, before changing engines to the Fs.
 #957111  by Reader#108

I also agree with the above as far as the accident. Shame on John Smythe. The accident happened long before the steam got there. As a matter of fact, the Police had to leave Crawford Depot AND 7470 to go to the accident scene. I was standing at the Bretton Woods church when they went by and it was a solid 45 minutes before the train arrived. I also got a nice photo of Dwight with 7470, a different angle appeared on "the other site", but here is a link....
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp ... 4390695506