Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#996040  by oldrr

"Here we go steamer and oldrr going back and forth with how they could do it better. At least the place is still there and they are running steam again give them some credit. How do you know they didn't shake it down? I would love for you to go to edaville and tell them how unskilled they are or just stay hidden behind your computer. what steam locomotives/ RXRs did you work at to gain your vast amount of knowledge?"

NNR, a small part of the place is still there, and yes, they're operating steam.

However, because they vandalized the place so thoroughly by tearing up so much track, to me they're nothing but senseless vandals who have shown great aptitude at tearing down and ripping up but no aptitude in making actual improvements.

When they started they had a nice 5.42 mile loop on private property. Many tourist railroads would kill for such a setup.

Therefore, it will be very difficult for me to say anything positive about the people down there or what they have done.

When they relay the track around the reservoir, then they'll have some credibility. Until then, they're destructive vandals.

If these people weren't so incredibly stupid they would have kept the full loop, even if they put in a shorter loop to use some of the time. Not only would it have made Edaville more salable but it also would make Edaville of interest to more people.

These people are also dishonest. After informing the newspapers that they will be operating a halloween train "deep into the cranberry bogs on track that hasn't been used in year" they put the engine and 2 cars on the unused spur and stop there.

I can't think of another tourist RR in New England that has so drastically cut the amount of track it uses.

The normal tourist operation will either expand or at least remain the same.

These incompetent and dishonest people at S. Carver couldn't even maintain the status quo.

Compare what they started with versus what they have now. Ordinary vandals could not have reeked the same amount of destruction on the place that these railroad wannabees have. Actually "wannabee" may be the wrong term. There is no evidence that they even want to do a good job.

Let's face it, the only reason they are operating at all is because they have destroyed the place to the point where it is not salable. Some money from operating is better than nothing.

Unfortunately, we don't have people who want to do a good job let alone who are capable of doing a good job.

When faced with the 5.42 mile loop these vandals fell flat on their faces and couldn't handle it. Their motto is "if we can't handle it, we'll destroy it."

Many tourist railroads would laugh at them because they have more yard trackage than Edaville has mainline.

So they're running steam, big deal, talk to me when they're running three steam powered trains at the same time, one leaving the station about every 12 minutes.

Until they put the 5.42 mile loop back in they are nothing but a fraud. They shouldn't be able to use the Edaville name. "Edaville" is a 5 and a half mile ride around cranberry bogs and the main reservoir in authentic 2 foot equipment from Maine being pulled by steam engines that were formerly used on 2 foot railroads in Maine.

Competent and honest owners would still be operating the full loop and most likely would have gotten at least one of the original Maine two foot engines and some coaches.

The present owners are running the Edaville name through the mud.
 #996078  by steamer69

NNR wrote:what steam locomotives/ RXRs did you work at to gain your vast amount of knowledge?
I'll tell ya what, you tell me what steam/railroads you have worked on in order to tell me that an engineer doesn't need to know the tonnage of his or her train, and what the locomotive can handle. Where did I come up with that idea? Out of any locomotive and train handling book. Just because the size is different, doesn't mean you throw the concepts out the window. Also, slow the role just a little bit. Having the problem of full 11 car trains is not a bad one to have....at least they are having people show up.
 #996088  by Steamer

I asked this question on EdavileUSA's facebook page last night.

"Last Sunday night once, your 11 car steam train was loaded with passengers to the max, you seemed to have problems pulling it with #21 as seen in this picture with the diesel helper out in front. I also noticed you only had a 5 car diesel train that night. What happened? Was there a problem with #21, or did you just overload her tonnage? How much doe she supposed to be able to pull? Maybe a 6 car steam train and a 6 car diesel train would have made more sense."

This was their response.

EdavileUSA
"It had nothing to do with the length of the train. It was a bad batch of coal."

Any opinions on that statement guys?

Steamer
 #996091  by NNR

probabley using hard coal its cheaper but harder to fire if you lose it its hard to get back.
 #996107  by oldrr

You may be right NNR. However, if you are correct, it comes down to incompetence on the part of the fireman for failing to maintain steam. That should get him a few black marks that he'd have to work off.

Incompetence is a theme, a way of conducting daily operations, down there at what they are trying to pass off as Edaville.

This is also the first batch of coal, maybe they ordered the wrong stuff, wouldn't surprise me.
 #996108  by oldrr

Thank you for looking into that Steamer. Unfortunately the folks at Edaville are about as much of an authority on trains as the RCC is on how to treat young boys.

It's nice that they gave you an answer, however, we will need to find out from other sources what the truth is.

Please ask them why they tore up the tracks. It will be interesting to see what kind of lie they come up with for that embarrassing question. One that I am sure they would prefer to not be asked.
 #996113  by steamer69

NNR wrote:probabley using hard coal its cheaper but harder to fire if you lose it its hard to get back.
Our resident steam expert strikes again. Right now Anthracite (Hard) going for $197 per ton, bituminous (soft) going for $110. By the way, the #21 doesn't have a big enough firebox to be burning 100% hard coal.
NNR wrote:@ steamer69 I asked you first.
What are we back in high school?

@steamer
That is a very viable answer. Using soft "mine run" coal which is what most steam railroads in New England get, is sometimes a crap shoot in terms of slag content. The amount of slag can contribute to what steam guys call "clinkers" or hard rock like formations in the firebox. Clinkers can lead to a reduction of draft, and a very bad time for the fireman, especially ones that are inexperienced....not saying the Fireman in question is or not....don't know the guy. Having to fire around the clinkers to try and keep a fire going is niether easy, or much fun.
 #996151  by NNR

Thanks for the compliment never been called an expert before i love it! this sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship huh steamer69
where did you get the prices? hard coal was always cheaper Im suprised at the change. and its funny how defensive you get when challenged oh well i gtg do my math homework!
 #996183  by steamer69

The "friendship" is what you make it. There can either be discussion, or you provoking me. If you decide to provoke me, maybe you should do it without sticking your foot in your mouth. I got the prices right on line. And for the record, Anthricite has always been more expensive than soft coal....by two or three times.

"anthracite generally costs two to three times as much as regular coal. In June 2008, anthracite cost as US$150/short ton wholesale"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite

"Brown said she sells about 2,000 tons of coal every year. F.M. Brown's current price is $268 per ton for a 2-ton delivery." (As of December 1st)

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=349372
 #996200  by boatsmate

I am almost afraid to post here for fear of being ridiculed..... But here goes, it is possable they got had a bad bit of coal, it happens sometimes, you get some dirt in there and it really screws thigs up, can cause dead spots in your fire and can realy wreck your steam.... you have to really work the coals and the fire to get it back to where you need it. and it is not always the fault of the Fireman... he may not have loaded the coal and it is dark on the engine at that time of night, not like you car where you have lights to see whats going on.... from the sounds of it the FIreman got it corrected in time for later trips..... then again it could have been teh Enginer that caused the problems (Blamed it on the coal instead of the employees, Looks better) Maybe he slipped the wheels and wrecked the fire..... that can happen too. Yes I had this happen to me. and yes I had a bad batch of coal once that caused me fits for a couple of trips. and I was there when it was loaded and missed the dirt that was in the load of coal.

I think we Need to give Edaville credit that they are trying to run an operation no matter what we think. I give them a lot of credit for trying..... could be closed altogether. I would have hated to have compters around like they are today back in 1984 when the Valley was having its problems I can imagine how people would have dissed us...... look at it now and what they have done.... let's give edaville a chance and not monday morning quater back.

and for those who don't know me yes I was a Fireman for the Valley RR so I know what I am talking about.

Capt Bill<<< yes my real name.....
 #996219  by oldrr

Thank you for the info Capt Bill. You guys are doing a nice job down there at the Valley. It's nice that you have a "friends" group that works on the track not used by the regular train.

First class operation.

As soon as they begin laying track to complete the track around the reservoir then I'll be convinced that something good may happen down there.

Until that point, they're still vandals.
 #996262  by TRNSRGR8T

Edaville was a great time, took the Kids, saw the Steam train and took a ride. What a great place to see the holiday lights and enjoy some family time. Place was very busy with families. The park was clean, the shops were well stocked with good stuff, and the folks running the place were very helpful and pleasant. The ride was just perfect as it wasn’t your typical ride into the woods for two hours looking at trees- the kids had fun and really enjoyed the adventure! They want to go back!

I say, great place, keep up the good work. The Edaville team is doing just fine running this operation no matter what some old railroad guys think. This is a great place to hear the sounds of a steam engine chugging along and to hear that whistle a blow’n. This is one fun New England train ride that the whole family can really enjoy togehter.
 #996291  by NErailfan

TRNSRGR8T wrote:Edaville was a great time, took the Kids, saw the Steam train and took a ride. What a great place to see the holiday lights and enjoy some family time. Place was very busy with families. The park was clean, the shops were well stocked with good stuff, and the folks running the place were very helpful and pleasant. The ride was just perfect as it wasn’t your typical ride into the woods for two hours looking at trees- the kids had fun and really enjoyed the adventure! They want to go back!

I say, great place, keep up the good work. The Edaville team is doing just fine running this operation no matter what some old railroad guys think. This is a great place to hear the sounds of a steam engine chugging along and to hear that whistle a blow’n. This is one fun New England train ride that the whole family can really enjoy togehter.

Great first post.

Welcome!