Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1031472  by number7

It's not quite true that things happen slowly in the RR business, Edaville went down hill in a hurry after the new owners took over. They were also very quick to tear things down and rip track up.

One thing that they are not quick at is moving forward. They retreat at a remarkable pace, but they advance very very slowly, if at all.

What ironic and sad is that we're not asking them to go beyond what they had when they started.

If they weren't so incompetent the 5.42 mile loop would still be there.

As far as the place being clean, BFD, I want to see trains, trains aren't always clean. Reminds me of the Cheese Shop skit by Monty Python. The shop has no cheese but the person behind the counter points out that it is very clean.

In that vain, I'll have to say, yes, the place is clean, it's certainly not contaminated with railroad equipment.

They are catering to people of that age because those are the only ones who will be interested in the place in any numbers.

If you own a movie theatre and you show a blank screen every day instead of movies, you'll get some visitors but not many. Edaville is basically a blank screen as far as a place to see trains goes.

The last time I visited Edaville, all four Maine loco's were running, as was the Model T inspection car, and the railbus. They ran the diesels too. They ran a double header and even a triple header of steam. They ran the 5.42 mile loop in reverse by using the bypass track, which the present incompetents have torn up.

They had authentic Maine Two Foot rolling stock as well in both mixed trains, freight only trains, and passenger trains.

Not to mention a working signal system. That was in the late 80s though.

When not looking at the equipment that was actually in use that day, you had plenty of two foot gauge equipment on yard tracks you could look at.

There were also plenty of 3 foot and standard gauge static displays.

There was also the Cranberry Jct station, and a working water tower, yard trackage, trackage going into the big cranberry screenhouse, a good number of sidings, the turntable.

There was also Plantation number 5, another steam engine, a bit small for use at Edaville.

Again, I'm not interesting in clean, I want to see trains. Edaville wasn't a dump until the present owners too over, it was just filled with railroad equipment.

I also want something to take pictures of. A single steam engine doesn't cut it. Their short loop doesn't cut it. Their very few static displays don't cut it.

Why anyone would actually pay to go in there is beyond me. It's not worth paying for.

If the present Edaville was a theatre, all they would show would be a blank screen. But, they'd still get some visitors, some people can't tell the difference.

Of course, the real Edaville at Christmas time used to run three trains at the same time, all powered by steam. The signal system was not installed for show. it was installed because they needed it.

I can understand a little kid being entertained for an hour or so down at Edaville but no one else, unless you're happy staring at a blank screen.

It was nice back in the day when they'd actually get some speed up on the tangents. They'd get up to 30mph or so. Not bad for the length train.

The clowns now operate at about 6 to 7 mph. Of course, if they operated at any speed they'd be around their loopette in about 1 minute, so they have to draw the ride out by going ridiculously slow.
 #1031481  by NNR

I see oldrr has changed his screen name to number7. i reconize the pointless edaville bashing
 #1031611  by steamer69

It would seem that you are right.....but I'm not so sure that I would say the "pointless edaville bashing" is as "pointless" as some would make it out to be. There are some very valid points in there.
 #1031668  by NErailfan

It's not quite true that things happen slowly in the RR business, Edaville went down hill in a hurry after the new owners took over. They were also very quick to tear things down and rip track up.
Very true, but with anything it's usually faster to tear something down then to build it back up.
As far as the place being clean, BFD, I want to see trains, trains aren't always clean. Reminds me of the Cheese Shop skit by Monty Python. The shop has no cheese but the person behind the counter points out that it is very clean.
BFD? I am going to attack this one. Not you personally, just this statement.

How on earth do you think this will help a new generation get an interest in trains??? I can understand you not caring how clean trains are, neither do I. But the thousands of parents who bring their kids there absolutely care. If those parents decide this place is not clean especially the way our society has become a bunch of germa-phobes (which is ridiculous by the way.) There will be no chance of these little kids being into trains.

The way I see it is Edaville is one of our last shots to getting youngsters into trains. I was in Toys "R" us the other day, I didn't see one, not one electric train set. 20 years ago there was a whole isle dedicated to TRAINS! Now a whole section of the store is dedicated to mindless video games... DISGUSTING
If you own a movie theatre and you show a blank screen every day instead of movies, you'll get some visitors but not many. Edaville is basically a blank screen as far as a place to see trains goes.
To you it is... Or is it? Have you seen the Anne Elizabeth running yet? How bout a youngster who see's it for his or her's first time, and thinks to them self "this is really cool!" "Dad didn't you say you had a train set up in the attic?" "Can we bring it down, and set it up?"

Again, I absolutely wish Edaville was the way you described. However I am happy to see them showing interest in their little "train set" steam is a big jump forward, and no where in MA can you see one at the present time, that to me and others I'm sure is not a "blank screen"
 #1031693  by boatsmate

In reply to the fact that the train ride is short, and that the train only goes 5 or 6 mph, think about it..... when the orginal ediville was there before George started selling everything off, there was 3 or 4 sets of trains that ran around the loop. and yes every christmas there was a line waiting to board the trains. and they ran every thing they had including diesils to pull as many trains as they could. now fast forward to present day, yes they are running the short loop, and they are running steam, (at christmas) but the fact they they are running anything after George sold off most of he running stock is a miricale itself. yes we old rail fans would love to see the long loop return and lonnger train rides, but and this is a BIG but!.... they only have so much operating equipment to work with. its not like they can go out and just buy or rent whole trains or extra cars like the VRR or any of the larger toutist attractions can do with standasrd size equipment, has done in the past. No they are limited to who has equipment avaliable and is willing to lease it out, then comes the costs of transporting the equipment to the site, and back after the lease is over, and gettng it set up and running and ready for the tourists.

I don't know how many of you folks have ever run or worked at a tourist attraction, I have several including a Railroad and Boat company. its not all that easy to find stuff to run, never mind buy. I think the present operators are doing there best with the equipment they have to give a great ride to the kids and turn it around and get more people onto the train in the shortsst amount of time, with out making it feel that they where jipped. so the train goes slow, they are having fun, santa has time to walk to train and see every car,(wouldn't if the train was moving fast) and everyone has a fun time.

I think the people at Ediville would love ot have a longer trip, and more trains to run, problem is they are not out there (the equipment) to run..... so they do the best they can with what they have.

Yes they probably need to mend fences with other tourist lines and maybe somewhere down the road they can, maybe even set up a deal where the train spend the winter in edivlle because it is not used in the wnter and the summers elsewhere. maybe even work out a deal where work can be done on the cars or engines in Carver at the train shops in lew of payment. thing s like this is what we as fans need to suggest instead of complaining about the lack of rail and how bad things are. and we need to offer our help in mending the fences and use some of our influence with other RR's to work with the new operators. I for sure am willing to give it a try.

Capt Bill <<< Fromer VRR Fireman and port enginer with Deep River Nav.
 #1031699  by number7

NeRailfan, you're right in what you say. I am disgusted with what they have done down in S. Carver and it shows in my writing.

However, based on what is down there now, I agree that the 2-12 year old is the proper target audience.

As you point out, they will get an introduction to steam. Steam that is not so much bigger than they are that it's intimidating to them. The two footers are a good size for kids.

Someone else pointed out that at least they know who there target is. I think that a Clint Eastwood quote is appropriate here. A man, or in this case, an organization has gotta know it's limitations.

So, instead of them showing a blank screen, I'll upgrade them to showing cartoons.

However, the senseless destruction that they have reeked on a once proud railroad is very aggravating to those who remember it as it was.

Can anyone else show me a tourist railroad that cut it's loop on private property back to less than half of what it was?

Are there any tourist railroads that thought that a 5.42 mile mainline was too much to handle?

Are there any tourist lines that think that 5.42 miles of track is enough?

I can just see them at a convention of tourist railroads explaining how their 5.42 mile mainline was too much for them to handle so they cut it back to less than 2 miles. It's about 1/3 of what it was.

Can you imagine the looks that they would get from the other railroads?

I can imagine that two questions would come to the mind of anyone who heard their story...

1. Are you really so incompetent that you can't handle 5.42 miles of track?
2. Do you really feel that you belong in this business?

There are railroads out there where volunteers handle more than that amount of track. FVRR has more than that that they take care of.

It isn't like we're dealing with high speed trains, running over lots of expensive bridges and trestles. The trains are relatively lightweight and the speeds are slow. There are no bridges.

They aren't doing anything more than what a bunch of hobbyist's could do on their own and do a better job. (Alna)
 #1031704  by number7

Boatsmate, in truth I can't fault them too much for the lack of available equipment.

However, my main beef is that the present owner started off with a 5.42 mile mainline and tore it up.

I'm not asking them to do too much that they didn't do when they started.

I would shut up if they restored the loop, that would show that they have the intelligence and competence to move in the right direction and it would be a matter of time before they got more equipment one way or another.

I cannot imagine any tourist line cutting back an already short mainline to about 1/3 of what it was.

The intelligent operator, if he thought that a shorter mainline would be of some use, would operate both the long and the short right of way or at least keep the longer route for future use.

What we have is the equivalent of someone spending a lot of money on a fine painting and then gets out some crayons and magic markers and starts marking the painting up.

It all boils down to senseless destruction.

I can see a new owner not making very much progress, but I cannot understand going backwards and downhill at such an alarming rate.

Meanwhile the folks at Alna just keep plugging along, going in one direction, and that's forward.

How is it that a group of hobbyists have more authentic Maine two foot equipment and do a better job than someone who bought Edaville? Edaville was the greatest of the two footers, lasted longer, hauled more people, made more money.

Sweetest setup in New England. 5.42 miles of loop on private property. Hello, it doesn't get much better than that.

As they say, some people can screw up a free lunch.
 #1031706  by Cosmo

Ok, just to be fair and correct here,
VRR does NOT rely solely on volunteers to work on their track. MOST of the operational track is taken care of by paid employees.
FVRR DOES jump in t help, and it DOES make a big difference, but it's not the "bulk" of the track maintenance.
That being said, you DO raise some good points. Oh, and I'm glad you changed from "blank screen" to "cartoons. (I was going to suggest something like that myself.)
Much better analogy. :wink:
 #1031724  by Jeff Smith

Like CSRX, private operator, they have the right to make the business decisions they make, right, wrong, or debatable. You can always vote with your feet.

My point is, businesses make stupid decisions all the time. New Coke, the USFL moving to the fall, the Edsel, the Jets trading for Tebow.......
 #1031729  by number7

Cosmo, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the "Friends" maintained the VRR track.

I have never heard a friend of mine who goes down there quite often mention them doing anything other than on their "own" track.

However, they do a nice job of maintaining the track that they use, including having to replace some stole iron, not that long ago as well as replacing ties.

They are most fortunate to have the use of that track and show their appreciation by keeping it in good shape.

The VRR is fortunate to have them keeping the ROW clear.
 #1031733  by Jeff Smith

number7 wrote:Jeff, you're right, it's unfortunate to see it happen to a place like Edaville.
And that is the shame of it. Unless a knight in shining armor rides up to buy the place, there's not much that can be done about it.
 #1031735  by NErailfan

Oh, and I'm glad you changed from "blank screen" to "cartoons. (I was going to suggest something like that myself.)
Much better analogy. :wink:
Call it what you will, but I will be more than ecstatic over the fact that my son stays interested in trains, or anything else mechanical for that matter.

If I ever tried to sit in my house all day on a Saturday playing video games my mother (in her old school Italian way) would beat me and tell me not to come home till' dinner. (not that this has anything to do with trains)

But if you want to cry about why Edaville got torn up in the first place is because, a general loss of interest in trains! And that has to do with kids parents being lazy and letting them sit in front of a TV, ipod, ipad, or whatever for hours on end. I try as much as possible to keep my son busy with mechanical things such as trains. And for that we will visit, and actually pay to get into Edaville once or twice a year.
 #1031781  by steamer69

boatsmate wrote:Jeff wish there was a Like button..... Tim Tebow....:)
Ditto.....