Railroad Forums 

• Rail Related Development in Northern New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1090091  by CN9634

Cowford wrote:"Torrefied wood. If the volume were heavy enough it just might make sense."

I can't imagine how the economics would work. The truck direct route is only 125 miles. The rail move would be complicated and is a circuitous ~180-mile route... then you have the transloading cost and final 35-mile truck haul to the port.

Google "livestock vessels" images. Those ships are ungainly looking beasts. I understand it is udderly impossible to get any accomodations on board other than steerage.
True I'd like to see the $$ for either service but another advantage of shipping this traffic particular by rail (And something a lot of people forget about) is that you can store it in yards for a few days at a time. I'm not exactly sure how the trucking industry works but I'm quite sure they don't like to let trucks sit with loads for days at a time unlike railroads ;)
 #1090345  by Cowford

"True I'd like to see the $$ for either service but another advantage of shipping this traffic particular by rail (And something a lot of people forget about) is that you can store it in yards for a few days at a time. I'm not exactly sure how the trucking industry works but I'm quite sure they don't like to let trucks sit with loads for days at a time unlike railroads"

A SWAG on trucking MILL-EASTPORT... assuming they'd be running tri-x trailers with 32-ton loads, the trucker's cost would be in the neighborhood of $2 per running mile. 250-mile round trip and add some profit... you'd be looking at $550-600/load, or $17-19/NT.

Can't imagine why they would need to store product in trailers or railcars... there would be ample storage capacity portside. And transloading may not be considered desirable from a product integrity standpoint.
 #1093288  by markhb

The Portland Transportation Committee will be meeting on Wednesday, and one item of interest to this thread concerns the city staff's wishlist of proposals for the PACTS Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP), FY ‘14-’15. From that document:
Project Title: West Commercial Street Multi-Modal Configuration and Layout Plan
Project Description:
Provide an alternatives analysis and recommendations for redesigning West Commercial Street to accommodate anticipated future development on both sides of the corridor from High Street to Veteran’s Bridge. Changes on the north side of West Commercial Street anticipate a new multi-use pathway and significant mixed-use development. On the south side of West Commercial Street, the study recommendations will facilitate development of new marine industries, retained existing or future rail potential, and continued truck access and industrial flexibility. Safe and functional pedestrian and bicycle network options will be considered throughout the corridor.
Staff Priority: Medium
Estimated Cost:
$XX,000 ($XX,000 local match)
(Emphasis added).

So at least they're thinking about it/hoping for it.
 #1093595  by gokeefe

markhb wrote:So at least they're thinking about it/hoping for it.
Mark,

Thanks for the update. At least from here we can see that they're thinking about it. Given the largely intact RoW of the Union Branch it would be a shame to permanently/forever decide to walk away from at least some kind of rail "option" on Commercial Street and through to India Street. We can never be sure what could/might happen in that area.
 #1127904  by Cowford

news from Eastport Port Authority...

Hard to square the first line in story, "The Eastport Port Authority expects to continue on its recent upward trajectory..." with the stated facts that pulp tonnage is down in 2012 and expected to be flat in 2013; cow shipments are way down in 2012 and expected to be flat is 2013. The wind energy business was not mentioned, so that project cargo must not be expected to return.

What's more perplexing: Wood chips outlook. They reportedly didn't materialize in 2012 because of global economic conditions, but they will in 2013? And they still don't have the ability to export to Europe- all along touted as THE wood chip market- as they have yet to install bug-killing equipment. And installation won't take capital investment?

Finally, the Port Authority is "confident" that JDI/NBSR will join in a partnership to bring rail closer to the port.

http://quoddytides.com/eastport_port_au ... 28-12.html
 #1150753  by Cowford

Some unusual news in Maine this week: First, the possibility of the state of Maine entering the marine cargo business.

http://www.pressherald.com/business/bid ... term=cargo

"To reduce costs to the operator -- and lower shipping rates -- the port authority envisions a public entity owning and building the barge section of the vessel. The operating company would design and build the tug portion."

This has a slim chance coming to fruition, let alone actually working. But it makes one wonder what's next on the MDOT's docket: Having the state provide truck trailers and rail cars to "reduce costs" to those transportation companies operating into/out of Maine?

And this:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/22/b ... ref=search

"...the planned torrefied pellet plant in Millinocket will not be able to meet European demand, which is why the firm is interested in a second plant in Washington County... Thermogen plans on shipping pellets produced in Millinocket out of Searsport rather than from Eastport."

According to other company reports, the plant would require as much as 700,000 tons of wood annually to "feed the beast". Wow... that's a lot of trucks. Odd that they would develop a second plant/second export terminal. Politically motivated?
 #1218058  by markhb

The latest changes to the Thompson's Point development are going before the Portland Planning Board on October 8; the legal advertisements have already been posted on the city website:
WORKSHOP 3:30 P.M.

2. B-5 Text amendments for building height and residential density, Thompson’s Point, Inc, Applicant (estimated time 5:30). The applicant is requesting text amendments to the B-5 zone that would increase the building height to 120 feet and the residential density to 100 units per acre for parcels of land located in Transit Oriented Tax Increment Financing Districts or in the context of a Master Development Plan.
The latest story on the Forefront development, reflecting both the successful negotiation to purchase the Suburban Propane property and the current plans for the site, is here.
The deal will allow for a 3,500-seat arena and event center and a parking garage to be built next to the train tracks, making it easier for passengers entering Portland via the Amtrak Downeaster to disembark and directly enter the facility, said Chris Thompson of the Forefront Partners I.

Thompson said the Forefront Partners I has reached an agreement to acquire 2.5 acres of land owned by Suburban Propane.

"It's far superior to have the event center right next to the tracks," Thompson said.
 #1218093  by MEC407

The addition of residential units is an interesting new twist. These might be the ultimate railfan and/or planespotter apartments. :wink:
 #1218550  by Cowford

"The addition of residential units is an interesting new twist."

Not sure how popular residential units would be given there is one access road into the development. You're reliant on a vehicle there, as there are no amenities within walking distance... and I'm thinking that coming home from work wouldn't be too much fun on an event night.
 #1218713  by markhb

Cowford wrote:"The addition of residential units is an interesting new twist."

Not sure how popular residential units would be given there is one access road into the development. You're reliant on a vehicle there, as there are no amenities within walking distance... and I'm thinking that coming home from work wouldn't be too much fun on an event night.
Given that they're still promoting this as a TOD, I got the impression from an article on the subject that they might be aiming the residences at the circus conservatory students. If you look on the Circus Conservatory site, you can see a recent version of the development plan that shows the residential buildings on the tip of the point, as well as the relocated arena & garage and the footbridge across the tracks which probably hints at where the sooper sekrit new train station is planned for. The residential units might also be a boon for people who work in the office building. At any rate, the revised plan (which will require a modification to the TIF) goes to a Planning Board workshop next Tuesday; there should be a better plan online by then.

Incidentally, if anyone ever does want some prime plane-watching real estate, keep an eye open for listings on Fenway St. My grandparents lived there for 50+ years, going back before the Yellowbird days; the house is no longer in the family. It was a great neighborhood to be a kid in back then, too.
 #1219752  by markhb

As anticipated, the Portland Planning Board now has the latest submission for Forefront online (PDF warning). Most of this has to do with asking for a change to the zoning ordinance to enable the residential buildout that has been mentioned, but the very last page is the latest site plan drawing. I noted that it's currently bereft of the residential towers that were at the end of the point in the Circus Conservatory graphic, but that area is marked as a future development zone. Enjoy!
 #1303280  by Watchman318

From an article about a high-tech shingle mill and other new industries in Ashland, Maine:
"He looked at three or four different locations," said Pelletier. "Ashland turned out to be ideal. It has good rail access and he could draw from a good workforce."
Other than a mention of a guy crossing the EMRY track during his 99-mile (one way) commute to a new job up that way, it's the only mention of rail here, but it might be a sign that some freight business could return.
 #1307331  by Cowford

The November 28 edition of the Quoddy Tides had a perplexing story:

"Eastport Port Authority officials have begun initial discussions... about the possibility of constructing a bridge from Perry to Eastport... the Passamaquoddy tribal government is concerned about increased truck traffic... once wood chip shipments begin... Gardner says that the plan could also include bringing the railroad back onto the island. He notes that the rail line would not need to come all the way to the Estes Head terminal and pier, since the grade would be too steep, but it could possibly come to the port authority's land on Broad Cove that was formerly owned by BASF."

http://www.quoddytides.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upon further research, EPA is still pinning hopes on moving wood chips to Europe. Same band, different song. This time, it wants to ship chips to a tiny port in Ireland for local consumption and transhipping to other points in Europe. Some quick research shows zero coal plants nearby (actually, there's only one in Ireland, and it has its own port facility) and no OSB mills remotely close (Ireland has three). And of course, the first shipment was supposed to happen in July, then August, and now December. Sadly, more rainbows and lollipops.
 #1307350  by BostonUrbEx

Wait... I just took a brief look at the line from Perry to Eastport (tried to follow it through Easport). They're trying to tell us that they may reactivate a line which has been completely torn apart (and, in some cases, developed upon?) is going to be reactivated? All the way to Calais? Eastport alone looks grim!