Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#924835  by Dick H

The last time the Quebec "secession" movement was on the front burner
was in 1995, when secession was defeated by 53,000 votes. Such a move
would split Canada in half. There was speculation at the time that if that
occurred, the Maritime Provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince
Edward Island would petition to be annexed by the United States. There
would be pros and cons to such a move on many fronts, including rail traffic.
 #1005981  by Cowford

Nosing about for developments at Eastport, I came across the port's Facebook page (go figger!):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eastport- ... 9635655575

...which includes pics of their new wood chip/pellet conveyor and warehouse footprint. Also, among the article links was this:

http://www.biomassmagazine.com/articles ... or-pellets

It's filled with dubious propaganda, .e.g.,"The Northeast has only three deepwater ports, all in Maine...", but it has lots of interesting nuggets. Exporting pellets over Searsport? From Corinth?
 #1030565  by Cowford

News reports indicate wood chips may start flowing through Eastport within the next month. An interesting development to continue following, particularly in light of the fact that the port is at risk of losing its bread-and-butter pulp business.
 #1030652  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:News reports indicate wood chips may start flowing through Eastport within the next month. An interesting development to continue following, particularly in light of the fact that the port is at risk of losing its bread-and-butter pulp business.
Any indication of interest in rail transloading?
 #1030667  by Cowford

No word on that... I'm hoping as this business develops it's reported from which areas the chips are being sourced... I'm thinking southwestern NB and the eastern corner of Maine, as further north/west in Maine would have made Searsport the more logical port.
 #1030741  by gokeefe

Although you may disagree with it...I think we're going to see a rail bond to re-connect Eastport to the rail grid sooner rather than later. If they start handling any substantial quantities of anything in bulk it will be an obvious step.

I'm interested in your thoughts re: what the thresholds would be for that to make economic sense in your experience.
 #1030752  by steamer69

Is that ROW railbanked?
 #1030756  by gokeefe

miketrainnut wrote:Good luck with that Gokeefe. The Indian Reservation took over the ROW and now have a nice walkway. Doubtfull they will give it up cheap.
Something simple like hiring preferences for tribe members at the Port of Eastport and other such concessions would probably go a long way. I agree that an all cash transaction would be extremely expensive. The alternative is some kind of "trackage rights", i.e. the rails on the reservation belong to the tribe (e.g. Passamaquoddy Tribal Railway Inc.) and they receive royalties from the trackage/haulage rights.
 #1030775  by Cosmo

gokeefe wrote:
miketrainnut wrote:Good luck with that Gokeefe. The Indian Reservation took over the ROW and now have a nice walkway. Doubtful they will give it up cheap.
Something simple like hiring preferences for tribe members at the Port of Eastport and other such concessions would probably go a long way. I agree that an all cash transaction would be extremely expensive. The alternative is some kind of "trackage rights", i.e. the rails on the reservation belong to the tribe (e.g. Passamaquoddy Tribal Railway Inc.) and they receive royalties from the trackage/haulage rights.
Yeah, but just HOW many miles would they need to completely re-lay in order to connect?
And how would they actually get across the island? I don't see a ROW anymore after it starts down the peninsula.
 #1030910  by steamer69

Cosmo wrote:Yeah, but just HOW many miles
hahaha.....

George,
If it's not railbanked, then the assertion that someone (most likely the tax payers) will have to pay through the nose to get it is probably correct. One way or another it's going to cost the state....unless they are real good at eminent domain....
 #1030934  by jaymac

If chip-shipping in Eastport begins in earnest, no matter the mode, taxpayers will pay for it. Increased roadway wear and tear, increased roadway congestion, and increased potential of highway accidents will be part of reckoning for the asphalt approach.
 #1030981  by gokeefe

steamer69 wrote:One way or another it's going to cost the state....unless they are real good at eminent domain....
I doubt eminent domain applies to tribal lands. I'm nearly certain it wouldn't (unless the tribe itself was using it on its own lands).
 #1030983  by gokeefe

jaymac wrote:If chip-shipping in Eastport begins in earnest, no matter the mode, taxpayers will pay for it. Increased roadway wear and tear, increased roadway congestion, and increased potential of highway accidents will be part of reckoning for the asphalt approach.
That's one of the reasons I even brought up rail in the first place. The roads in Washington County are already pretty rough as it is. ME 9 has been rebuilt extensively but I'm pretty sure MDOT would want that to last as long as possible.