Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1492399  by NaugyRR

In my opinion, I don't think regular or semi-regular passenger service along the route would be completely utilized. Having grown up and lived in the area, and graduated from Housatonic (right next to the tracks), I think I can safely say that the towns along most of the route aren't exactly major population centers nor tourist spots capable of keeping weekenders entertained for an entire weekend.

Keep in mind that all of this are just thoughts on my part, and in no way meant to offend anyone or express some wild railfan fantasies.

I think if Amtrak were to start semi-regular service to Pittsfield, then maybe running a Budd car shuttle to Stockbridge and Barrington could be an option. Barrington has a nice main street with boutique shops, hotels, etc., and is easy to get around. Stockbridge has the Red Lion Inn, which is an upscale hotel that I could see attracting upper class weekenders from Manhattan. The less people have to drive to their final destination, the better. I'm sure the Red Lion, along with Barrington's Chamber of Commerce would be interested in working something out with MassDoT, HRRC, and the BSRM, especially now that MassDoT owns that section of the line.

As far as Canaan, Falls Village, Cornwall, and Kent, well, there's nothing really there to support a weekend stay, unless you REALLY like hiking. Yes, Canaan's got a few shops by the tracks, the newly restored depot, and more places to eat than you'd ever need, but it's not exactly what I'd call a weekend getaway destination. I do my grocery shopping there on Fridays, and even that's enough for me. There's nothing really in Falls Village trackside, aside from some hiking trails to the great falls down the road, and a super small downtown (if you can even call it that). West Cornwall has the covered bridge and a couple of shops, but like Falls Village, nothing else. It's not like Uber or Lyft has much of a presence in the area either, and even if they did, the next largest population centers to lodge/visit are Winsted, Torrington, Waterbury, and Danbury, of which the latter two already have rail service, and the former two probably aren't going to be a huge draw for weekenders taking the train to Pittsfield.

Kent and New Milford I could see as potential destinations, except from the south, and served by Metro-North/CT DoT in conjunction with improved and enhanced service on the branch. New Milford has become a fair-sized population center of its own, and I think rail service would reduce some stress on Super 7. Kent, with the private school, hiking, shops, and restaurants could be worthy of a weekend/seasonal stop a la Appalachian Trail on the Harlem. Maybe run a morning/afternoon/evening set of round trips on Saturdays and/or Sundays.

I've also stated previously that I think an RDC car from the DRM to Chuck's Steakhouse, the mall, possibly Brewster could be a worthy start up to a potential Metro-North shuttle between Danbury and Brewster, but that's also a railfan dream.

The other issue with running trains on the CT portion of the line, is the well-known and oft-repeated reputation of the host railroad, as well as the current state of things in, well, the state. It goes without saying that the HRRC has its fair share of issues, and CT is broke. So realistically speaking, I wouldn't expect anything to happen on this half of the route passenger-wise anytime soon. If anything, I could see some freight upgrades if another operator bought the route out, but don't hold your breath.

#TLDR
- RDC shuttle from Pittsfield to Stockbridge and Barrington for tourist-y things and upscale lodging.
- Passenger service in MA more likely due to state ownership of trackage, possible private and corporate sponsorship from state and local businesses.
- Host railroad is hostile towards outside services, negligent on maintenance. CT is broker than broke.
- Towns between Barrington and Kent not really worth passenger service due to location and amenities, or lack thereof.
- Work on improving existing freight and passenger service, expand to New Milford, maybe Kent; possible Beacon Line reopening between Danbury & Brewster.

The only way I could see any passenger service on the entire length of the route would be something akin to the late Saratoga & North Creek; run a sightseeing train from Pittsfield to Danbury with a dome, dining car, lounge car, etc. with drinks, food, and other comforts to keep people entertained and happy. Maybe offer discounted admission to the DRM on the layover, some Dunkin' Donuts coupons, etc. Passengers could even go back to the city on Metro-North if they wanted.

Again, just some thoughts rattling around in my noggin. Please don't be offended or take me too seriously :-D .
 #1492419  by Backshophoss

Nice pipe dream,need to find away to EVICT HRRC from the branch and the Maybrook line in Conn.
You will need MN's blessing to get to Brewster,as MN owns it from the state line to CP 58 (Hudson line connection)
IF the New Haven had a station in Brewster,it would be where the "controlled siding" was.
 #1492439  by Arlington

Mostly I'd say the state of CT should buy it sooner rather than later (for roughly the reasons MA bought its part), keep it safe, and everyone revisit passenger service in about 2030 after the dust has settled from all the other projects in NY-CT-MA that might impact it (Changed NYP/NYG services, new services at SPG, the test via ALB...there are more important projects in just about every compass direction that would also have a impact on demand/feasibility)
 #1492645  by njtmnrrbuff

I have mentioned this many times but from a business perspective, I don't see it being feasible to run any type of mainline passenger rail service on the Housatonic. There are many areas where the right of way isn't in the best shape and as mentioned, it doesn't serve major population centers. Maybe eventually, MNR can run some trains to New Milford and I know that has been proposed for a while. The problem with running to New Milford is that the tracks take a 180 degree around Danbury Yard making the travel time slow from New Milford. In fact, the Danbury Branch isn't that fast either but at the same time, it's not that slow.

Basically, if you live anywhere along the Housy RR, you will most likely drive to the Harlem Line, especially if you live in NW Connecticut. At the Wassaic Station, there are plenty of people who have Ct license plates who park there. The Connecticut State Line is very close to the Harlem Line. If you live in New Milford, you might as well just drive to Southeast.

If you live in or have to head to the Berkshires, you have other options but they might involve driving to get the train. Wassaic Station is within a pretty easy reach of the Berkshires. I know people who live in Great Barrington who take Metro North out of there. They also take Amtrak out of Hudson, NY sometimes. As for going to Pittsfield, it would help to have a seasonal train that runs directly there. Even if that happens, many people will still continue to use Hudson and ALB for Amtrak.
 #1492800  by Backshophoss

AS long as HRRC still controls the Maybrook line and the New Milford secondary in Conn,any $$$$ for track repairs disappears in a Black Hole.
HRRC needs to be EVICTED from this trackage,than maybe passenger service along with BSRM can return!
 #1494142  by NaugyRR

Fishrrman wrote:Insofar as passenger service is concerned:
Better to extend the Harlem line up to Hillsdale, and have connecting bus service to Great Barrington, Pittsfield, and Chatham.

The "rail trail people" would fight it, however!
There's nothing really around between Wassaic and Hillsdale, aside from Millerton and to a lesser extent Amenia.

Millerton can't even figure out its parking situation without trains, and traffic suuuucccckkkssss during peak times with parallel parking on both sides of the street and no one knowing how to use a crosswalk/people just swinging car doors open without looking first. Having the train stop in the center of town would just exacerbate that on a massive scale.

Then the stretch between Millerton and Hillsdale is just miles, and miles, and miles, of nothing. And once you get to Hillsdale, more nothing. You've got Hudson to the west on 23 which is already served hourly by Amtrak, Barrington and Egremont and some ski areas to the east but nothing I can see really generating passenger numbers to justify the amount of infrastructure creation and the stupid amount of money in eminent domain purchases of private properties and farms, not to mention reclamation of the popular rail trail (which people, including myself, actually use). Not to mention you'd either need new equipment or need to assign more dual modes to the extended service, 'cause I don't think the Brookvilles would be up to the task.

And then there's the fact that extending Metro-North into Columbia County would subject the residents there to the not-so-popular MTA tax, which would most likely be even less popular there.
 #1494143  by J.D. Lang

I still think that building a large enclosed and secure parking garage at Wassaic would go a long way in allowing people from NYC to get to the Berkshire towns for the weekend where a lot of people have second homes or come as tourists. People could pay a monthly parking lease and leave a second car there. This would allow them to avoid trying to get out of NYC during the Friday afternoon traffic jams, get to their car at a reasonable time and drive to where ever they want. No Uber, Lyft, or bus needed. I think that would be a large market to tap without a huge capital outlay rather than doing insane things like extending the Harlem line north or trying to get rid if the Housy from the Maybrook cluster and spending around 120 mil. to upgrade the Berkshire line.

J. Lang
 #1495725  by NaugyRR

Looks like someone had a bad day this morning...

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loc ... 00221.html

That looks like the grade crossing at the light on 44, which is flagged. It'll be interesting to see what happened once more details are released.