Railroad Forums 

• Railroad hats... made in Maine

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#770401  by Cowford

Anyone know the story of M&W Hat Company (I think that was its name) that made the "real" traditional railroad cap for years? I think they changed their name to Hats and Totes... and possibly moved to Milo? I recently came across one of mine that's probably 30 years old. Gives the Stormy Kromer a run for its money!
 #771198  by eman577

3 or 4 years ago, I ran across a supply of those hats, and bought several. They were the last ones
in my size, and there were just a few other sizes left. If I recall correctly, I was told that the
company had stopped making them or gone out of business, don't recall exactly, but I remember
being disappointed that they would no longer be available.

For years these hats were Maine made, and New England railroaders preferred their much finer and
narrower pin stripe patter. There were 2 styles: the first, which MEC men favored was an all stripe
patter. The second, which CP and some BAR guys seemed to favor; had a denim visor and sweatband.
They were sold in Portland at Merdek's Variety at Congress & St John Sts. long after other places stopped
carrying them.

Another New England railroad tradition lost.
 #771324  by Noel Weaver

Once Thompson Cap Company in New Haven, Connecticut went out of business sometime around 1970, I fiddled around with
hats for a while but in my last few years on the railroad I loved my Kromer Hats for comfort and appearance. I still like them
and have enough for a while here in South Florida.
Noel Weaver
 #771745  by Cowford

Good stuff thanks... brings back memories. Thought I'd attach a pic of my last surviving relic, about 30 years old... houndstooth pattern (had to be different!) "Hats and Totes, 6 (?) First Steet Milo, Maine" is barely legible on the inside of the sweatband. They made corduroy with internal earflaps and all sorts of fabric patterns... but as eman pointed out, the thin pinstripe with/without the denim was definitely the most common.
M&W Cap 002.jpg
Noel, you must sweat like crazy wearing a Kromer in Florida!

Suppose this should all be posted in railroad workwear, but it seems to be Maine/New England-specific garb.
Last edited by Cowford on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #771767  by Noel Weaver

My Kromer Hats are more or less summer hats. I need protection from the sun when I am outside and they provide that
protection. I like them.
Noel Weaver
 #776670  by Cowford

Post script: The spring edition of Classic Trains has a nice article on the last steam-powered Scoot on the CP in Maine. Apparently, the checked-pattern also dates back a bit... the CP engineer is pictured with the same hat.
 #776748  by Noel Weaver

Cowford wrote:Post script: The spring edition of Classic Trains has a nice article on the last steam-powered Scoot on the CP in Maine. Apparently, the checked-pattern also dates back a bit... the CP engineer is pictured with the same hat.
That was a fantastic issue in my opinion. I think I have re-read that CP article at least 5 times and it is great stuff.
Noel Weaver
 #776912  by cogger

I have bought hats right at the Conway Scenic gift shop. They have the blue brims and band around the bottom. Tag says made in USA, but I can no longer read the name due to the dirt! In fact, if I got near an open flame with it, it would probably burst into flames. Also, there was a store in ST J, called Kaplan's I think. They used to have US made hats.
Paul
 #1525130  by Cowford

Got a heads up from a friend about this advertisement in the Milo Historical Society's archive... the prices look ancient, but it's less than 35 years old. I love it: "Manufacturer of the Original Railroad Cap". Gotta wonder if anyone that was involved in this company is still around...
Attachments:
Hats and Totes.JPG
Hats and Totes.JPG (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2571 times