Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#933446  by ritrains

The switch from the south leg of the Watuppa wye has been re-installed at the north end of a new runaround track just south of the Quequechan River culvert in Fall River.

The surface of Freezer Road in Sandwich was reconstructed last week.
 #940167  by ritrains

My previous statement about the removal of the switch that was at the south end of the Watuppa wye and its re-installation at the south end of the runaround track in Fall River is correct as stated. In addition, the fence across the track at the south end of the New Bedford yard has been removed and the crossing at Herman Melville Boulevard has been rebuilt and is ready for service. This begins the process of opening the track leading to the New Bedford state pier which has been unused for many years.
 #940521  by fogg1703

Any reason why they need to go to the State Pier? What possible traffic can come out of there that can't be drayed to a transload at the Wainer siding? Isn't that what Maritime International did or continues to do?
 #940539  by boatsmate

they are preparing for the wind farm operation. it as been decided to move the operation to New Bedford instead of Quansit pt In RI. Both have Rail access, but less travel time for support vessels to the work area.
 #940571  by fogg1703

Thanks for the info. I must have missed this awhile back. Seems like a gimme to our old friend Barney as Quonset would be a far better option IMHO. Good news for the MC if it ever happens.
 #940577  by GP40MC1118

I don't think there is much immediate hope for any business south of Melville Blvd crossing. The
ongoing redesign/reconstruction of RT18 complicates matters, plus the State Pier siding has
been compromised over the years to the point where its rather short for anything significant.
I could see the track being restored as a switching lead as far as RT6 (a clearence issue itself) or
Crystal Ice (on the other side of RT 6).

The activity at the south end of the yard may have more to do with restoring the siding to Maritime
Terminal, who now drays product to/from the Wainer (old Alden Corrugated Box) siding at Dean St.

When the city of NB had the yard redesigned, they cut off the Maritime Terminal siding. This despite
MT draying to the Wainer siding. Just poor design and communication at the time. All the focus was
on the sludge.

D
 #940598  by Tracer

If my memory is correct at the southern end of the sludge yard they built the new track like 2 feet higher then the existing track that heads toward route 6. Why wouldnt you just build the new track at the same grade as the existing track to make an easier connection if needed someday?
 #940627  by GP40MC1118

As I said, poor design and not vision for the future...Ironically due to the bridge work north of
the yard...the yard has been dormant since last Fall!

I was told the first steel work went in for Sawyer Street this past week....

D
 #940807  by pharmerphil54

Yes that whole sludge train idea has become a boondogle.When it was originaly announced it was to have generated a dedicated unit train but what finally developed was a dozen or so cars on a seasonal basis for CSX's B727. And that new yard is ackward to switch for a train coming in from Myricks. The only runaround track is set up to favor switching the sludge plant,a 'regular' runaround move requires operation of 3 switches and a derail and a zigzag move with the power. Also for some odd reason stick rail was used instead of the cwr used in most new track work nowadays. Yeah there was a lot of poor planning with whole project.
 #948258  by boatsmate

on thursday the 2007 was holding down the passanger train operations. spotted it going past the airport around 12 noon
 #968962  by ritrains

Mass Coastal has made arrangements to bring the private business car nyc-3 to its railroad for the next two weeks in September, September 11 through Sept 26. The car will be used for a variety of purposes, including opportunities for the general public to tour the car at various stations on the Mass Coastal (including Hyannis, West Barnstable, Sandwich, Buzzards Bay and North Falmouth) and to ride on the car during ferry moves between different points on the railroad, all at reasonable cost. Consult local papers and radio stations for information on specific times and locations. Initially, there will likely be an opportunity for a select number of passengers to ride on the car from either Lakeville or Wareham to Hyannis during the day on Sunday, September 11. The schedule for this move will be during the daytime on Sunday but is not yet finalized and anyone interested in the opportunity should contact the Cape Cod Central information phone line to obtain information and make reservations.
 #973823  by Teamdriver

Cape Rail, Mayor Flanagan announce new plans for dinner rail service

Read more: http://www.tauntongazette.com/archive/x ... z1YoQWjsR9

Almost same story , different angle :

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... lAFriend=1