Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#973846  by MickD

This is a great development !!...They certainly are makin' some moves.
Speaking of Fall River though,too bad one of those scrapped engines
couldn't have gone to Old Colony Museum for display..
 #993612  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Question:

Do they have to request a Form D every time they have to proceed through MBTA cab signals the tiny half-mile between Middleboro station to Middleboro Yard/Secondary, or do the T's cab signals end at the junction with that very last signal block to the platform being a wayside only? I used to commute from that station for a little bit 11 years ago, and saw a couple Bay Colony moves through there. Was wondering how the shortline freight moves were changed or grandfathered through there after the commuter rail came in with new signal system in tow.
 #997922  by SOCO11

The ROW in Fall River is being cleared down towards Gold Medal. The trees are being cut and chipped and there is some survey activity. I will be interested to see what happens to all the sheds, gardens and driveways built on the tracks along Draper St.
 #998264  by F-line to Dudley via Park

SOCO11 wrote:The ROW in Fall River is being cleared down towards Gold Medal. The trees are being cut and chipped and there is some survey activity. I will be interested to see what happens to all the sheds, gardens and driveways built on the tracks along Draper St.
New customer down there? I know they can't trail the ROW on the OOS portion because P&W still retains its overhead trackage rights on the line in the event the tank farm on the Tiverton side of the border ever wants active service again. State has no jurisdiction to railbank or landbank its new purchase without first squaring P&W's rights. And P&W seems to have no intention of ever giving up that trackage seeing as how they still hold Newport despite that track being inaccessible from the mainland for over 30 years.
 #998421  by B&M 1227

I noticed that too driving down 79 over the past week. A few years ago there was talk in a trackcar group of clearing the line down towards Tiverton for some purpose. A lot of rail is missing further down the line in Tiverton so I can't imagine them pursuing the trackage that far.
 #998671  by SOCO11

Back in September, after the change in ownership, the Herald News had an article that said Cape Rail planned to restore service to Gold Medal Bakery. They currently are unloading cars at the state pier.
 #999534  by F-line to Dudley via Park

B&M 1227 wrote:I noticed that too driving down 79 over the past week. A few years ago there was talk in a trackcar group of clearing the line down towards Tiverton for some purpose. A lot of rail is missing further down the line in Tiverton so I can't imagine them pursuing the trackage that far.
Except for that tank farm straddling the state line it's all residential in Tiverton, so no business potential south of there. Tracks currently end at a gated fence at the tank farm about 200 ft. from the end of the pipeline feeding the barge loading dock. That's most definitely a viable major customer if they want rail shipments anew, but pretty sure that's P&W's claim as MC rights end and theirs begin at the literal state line. Tracks not exactly in great shape, but all the crossings are still there and it's a scant 1/2 mile from Gold Medal. I bet they could get those tracks in service with a few weeks' work if ever needed.

RIDOT owns everything south of the border and has it designated OOS to the former bridge. They've said they aren't interested in changing that designation until they see if South Coast Rail pans out. They have an old Newport commuter rail study in hand and are seeking small subsidy to catch up on deferred maintenance of the Aquidneck Island tracks so the the Newport Dinner Train can initiate general-purpose cross-island transit during the peak tourist months. If Fall River gets commuter rail they've committed to re-studying a direct Newport connection to see if it's worth building a new bridge (new highway bridge preserves the old rail bridge embankments) and restoring tracks to the state line for limited thru service. No interim trail planned (Tiverton NIMBY's would probably like free-range bicyclists even less than the trains) pending ultimate outcome of Mass.'s SCR odyssey. With freight still a going concern on the MA side almost to the foot of the border that should keep the option clear until the 24th century or whenever the SCR freakshow finishes.
 #999843  by fogg1703

Unfortunately the tank farm, Inland Fuel Terminal, is a barge to local delivery truck operation which leaves very little potential for rail traffic. How many cars is Gold Medal unloading at the pier currently? Any one know who is footing the bill for the line rehab to Gold Medal?
 #1000305  by fogg1703

My question was sarcastic about the rehab. CapeRail may be actually doing the physical work (I'm sure subcontracted out), but we the taxpayers will be paying for it as the line is owned by the state.