Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#763629  by MickD

I saw that same article, but this friend of mine works for the CCTA and they
said that the Union local president at the meeting last weekend among other things
mentioned that the railroad now says they plan initially to start service from Wareham
in March, with Cape service possibly coming this spring or summer.To begin from
Wareham makes more sense the potential for year round patronage from there and surrounding
communities is already there.
 #763789  by BayColony1706

I'd think we'd be seeing or atleast hearing about equipment... if they're starting up as soon as March, you'd think something would be down here or enroute already.
 #763851  by MickD

That's what I suggested to these friends of mine,but they know my interest and were
merely relaying what they were told by their local last weekend.I haven't seen anywhere yet
that the state has in any way committed to the funding that railroad has suggested it would take
to get this started,and were it stimulus related it's no secret that Massachusetts has been
very slow to access those funds,but sooner than later work will be starting up again on
The Sagamore,so maybe this is further along towards being a reality than not.
 #763890  by masscoastalfan

Well, if the reason for running the train this year is to help eleviate the traffic on the bridge during the work on the sagamore bridge, having the train run from wareham makes NO sense. You might as well not run it in terms of eleviating bridge traffic. In terms of equipment, last i heard, they will be using CCCX equipment for the train, if it runs.
 #763922  by MickD

My understanding is that service from Wareham is to be a year round commuter run on a trial basis,
and The Cape service which if it actually happens would be seasonal.Don't forget,the MBTA in the past
has periodically made noise about bringing CR down to Wareham,whereas it hasn't suggested it
at all seriously to The Cape. I'm still a bit skeptical as the state has purchased the CSX SE Mass.
lines with the expressed intent of making NB/FR service a priority.Wareham has the potential
that The Cape on a year round basis doesn't,but with the current fiscal problems there's only so much money.
 #764405  by masscoastal

I know I'm jumping topics from commuter rail of the MC, but Does anyone on this thread work for CCC or MC? I'm trying to get a few pictures of the top side of 1201. If anyone has them, or could get them, it would be greatly appriciated! Thanks, Pat
 #764477  by masscoastalfan

I know there's one on capecodrails.com. If you go to the bay colony section and look for the part about the trash train, there are a few photos of when bclr borrowed 1201 on the trash train an there are a few overhead shots.
 #764840  by BayColony1706

Pat, what type of shots of the top are you looking for? I have tons of shots of 1201, and could arrange for special shots if needed.
 #769040  by masscoastal

By chance, does anyone have any other pictures of the energy train cars? Also what is the rough running scheduale right now of the MC trains? I'm usually lucky enough to catch something here and there when I'm on the cape, but have plans to head out there next week sometime, so it would be nice to know where what is and when! Thanks in advance... -Pat
 #769320  by masscoastalfan

current schedule of Mass Coastal:
Operates 6 days a week. Trais refered to as lead engine number on scanner. Example: extra MC 2006
YArmouth train Usual motive power MC 2006 GP7u): runs 6 days/week.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: depart Seamass about 6am. Cross bridge about 7 am. arrive yarmouth around 8am.
Tuesday Thursday Saturday: Depart seamass at about 6am cross bridge 7am. take emptys to Otis. Arrive otis about 730am. Depart otis about 8 am. Arrive canal junction at about 830-9am. bring empties to yarmouth and arrive around around 10am. The afternoon run (monday-saturday) with loads back to seamass, is very iratic. It can depart yarmouth anytime between 3 and 7pm. This train does not pick up loads from otis.
Falmouth train/CSX interchange run (usual motive power MC 2008 GP9RM):
operates Monday Wednesday Friday:
Depart Seamass about 12pm
Arrive at Buzzards bay at about 1pm.
Arrive at otis to pick up loads about 130pm.
Depart otis about 2pm.
Arrive canal junction about 230pm.
Arrive Seamass about 330pm.
After this they will go up to the csx interchange or work the industries off cape. Loads are only taken out of otis 3 days a week.
This is not an official schedule, but this is the jist of how they operate. Times can vary greatly depending on track work, weather conditions, and if a boat is passing through the canal.
NO Mass Coastal trains run on Sundays
 #777212  by masscoastal

Off topic a bit, but still cape trains related of course.... I was out in Hyannis for the little train show last week for CC&I, and saw a blue print copy of the buzzards bay bridge taped on the wall. Well lets just say they didn't want to part with it, or even make a copy... But were more than happy to tell me to take pictures of it. Not good enough for what I want. I want a copy to frame for a side of my layout room... It was really a basic print, all common knowlegde specs for the most part. I tried contacting the Army Corps. with some pics of the print, but no response yet. Anyone have any ideas? I've always liked the look of framed prints or scematics like that. I'd be interested in anything like that related to the Cape, or Cape Rail motive power or rolling stock. Anyone have any thoghts? Thanks!
 #777492  by Bill Moran

The bridge is "owned" by the Army Corps of Engineers. If anyone has copies of the original drawings, I assume that they do, probably at the local office in Buzzards Bay.

Unfortunately, would not be surprised if any request for such prints is met with either no response, or denial based on national security concerns. Such is the world we live in now. Even photographing things like bridges can bring on the anti-terrorism investigators. Good luck though!
 #780003  by masscoastalfan

For those interested Mass Coastal's GP28 returned to regular service on the energy train for the first time in 6 months this past week. I'm not sure why, but since the installation of her cab signals in september, she has seen only very limited serviceon the final CCCX excursions of 2009, and in plow duty after the blizzard of 2009. It's great to have her back!
 #791737  by masscoastalfan

Mass Coastal Railroad and Mass BAy Railroad Enthusiasts are running a special called the Cape Codder on May 15th, 2010. The train will depart West BArnstable (for those passengers wishing to board on cape) at 725am. The train will then proceed across the bridge to pick up passengers in Buzzards BAy. The train will then run to Middleborough lakeville MBTA station and pick up additional passengers. The train will then head south through buzzards bay and own the newly refurbished falmouth line to North Falmouth. The train will then run north to canal junction (canal lift bridge) and run south to Hyannis. The train will discharge passengers who boarded at West BArnstable and then run to Buzzards bay. Due to the crews hours running out, the train will stop at buzzards bay and the passengers who boarded at middleborough will be bussed back to middleborough. Tickets are on sale now, however, mass bay has yet to release the trip info on their site. Tickets are $59 for mas bay members and $69 for non members. for an additional $40 you can ride in the parlor car. The train is already 1/4 sold out. Unlike the trip last november, this trip will include at least on photo runby and one still photo stop. The train will consist of the cape cod central scenic train cars and the parlor car. Up to 2 more cars will be added if necessary. The train will be most likely be bracketed by Mass Coastal's 2 cab signal equiped locomotives as cab signals are necessary to axcess the MBTA station in middleborough.