Clean Cab wrote:
fl9m2004 wrote:I remember seeing the conductor from the cape codder
He's one of the conductors for Cape Cod Central
A really nice guy
I hope the train between Hyannis and Boston goes well
Hopefully one day I'll get to ride it
By the way why did Amtrak discontinue the cape codder
Imagine if Amtrak and MBTA ran a joint train Amtrak train with MBTA crews

The trains were funded by the State of Massachusetts in an agreement with Amtrak that required the state to cover any losses and a percentage of the operating costs. The train crews were all Amtrak employees that were qualified out of Boston. The funding subsidy was not renewed in 1996 and therefore the trains stopped running. Ridership on the trains had been declining and the trains that at one time were running from Washington DC to Hyannis 4 times (one train from DC to Hyannis on Friday, another train to Hyannis from NY on Saturday, one train back to NY/DC on Saturday and the last train back to NY on Sunday afternoon) between Friday and Sunday edventually dwindled down to a three car one engine push-pull shutlle from Providence to Hyannis on Friday and Sundays only making only one round trip. Another factor was the deteriorating conditions of the tracks on the Cape which created lower operating speeds. The state was faced with spending a massive amount of money on the tracks, and fund the trains that very few people were riding. Since that time, there had been no plans to renew the service until now.
The schedule change was the real death knell. Once they cut the extra runs, which had all the convenient hours, it was pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy that ridership was going to crater enough to get the route dropped.

At least Cape Cod Central has done an excellent job maintaining the platforms since. All early-90's era ADA mini-highs in good condition except for non-accessible Wareham. That helps a LOT for Year 2 when speeds should improve enough to absorb adding back the intermediate stops in West Barnstable and Sandwich. That's a total no-build proposition if they can keep chipping away at the maint backlog to allow the schedule to absorb it.
 #1182744  by fl9m2004

Does Cape Cod Central still do that run around after reaching Sagamore
Or is 2 engines still on train
Last couple of years I was on the sencic train it was 2 engines on either end
 #1182895  by Clean Cab

When CCCR has enough engines available, the scenic trains will have engines on both ends. But if just one engine (of their 4) is out of service or being used elsewhere, they'll use just one engine and run around the train at Sagamore.
 #1182905  by fl9m2004

How often does it happen when they run around
My guess is when 1201 was around it happened
Because I remember that day
Engine on rear was supposed to be 1501
1201 had a great horn
 #1183076  by Clean Cab

There will be a special early run of the Cape Flyer on May 18. It will leave South Station at 9:30 AM and arrive in Hyannis at 11:45 AM. Then the train will head back to Boston at 2:30 PM and arrive at South Station around 5:00 PM.
 #1183269  by KEN PATRICK

cosmo: i spent a month as sea detail conning officer transiting from groton to the sound and back. we were evaluating a new sonar dome on our der390 . we got underway around 0830 and came back in the late afternoon. my recollection is that the bridge opening was never an issue. we simply honked and it went up. the sub drivers told me they didn't need the bridge to be opened. they simply sunk down most times. i think the channel was 100' . of course in the 50's amtrak wasn't around so i agree things have changed. it would be silly to stop a 100+mph train if the option was to delay departures or circle around in the sound. not as simple when a less than fast vessel is transiting the canal, like an oil barge . can't anchor, tides are 3 + knots. judgements must be made. i remain convinced that some trains will wait. ken patrick
 #1183370  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The instructions that our trains operate over the canal will be as follows. On the Southbound trip, our engineers will give a call to the Buzzards Bay tower requesting the bridge when the train passes Wareham Station. Takes 6 mins for the bridge to lock in and boat traffic must be stopped. On the Northbound trip, I gotta double check where and when the call must be placed, slipped the mind currently. But I agree with you Ken, just because the trains have made the call, doesn't mean they'll get the bridge. I'm sure there will be some waiting, especially on the weekend trips.
 #1183523  by Cosmo

KEN PATRICK wrote:cosmo: i spent a month as sea detail conning officer transiting from groton to the sound and back. we were evaluating a new sonar dome on our der390 . we got underway around 0830 and came back in the late afternoon. my recollection is that the bridge opening was never an issue. we simply honked and it went up. the sub drivers told me they didn't need the bridge to be opened. they simply sunk down most times. i think the channel was 100' . of course in the 50's amtrak wasn't around so i agree things have changed. it would be silly to stop a 100+mph train if the option was to delay departures or circle around in the sound. not as simple when a less than fast vessel is transiting the canal, like an oil barge . can't anchor, tides are 3 + knots. judgements must be made. i remain convinced that some trains will wait. ken patrick
That's great Ken. I was in for 14 yrs and made countless trips in and out of Groton/NLON and every time whatever we did in the channel was up to the pilot that came aboard and got us in/out. Our transits were timed so we would leave the piers under tow (if necessary) and transit under the bridge between trains. The tugs, the subs, everything was timed down to the minute (this is a MILITARY operation we're talking, and military means precision... doubly so on a sub.)
Depending on the tide, it might have been possible in the past to "duck" under the bridge when the tide was right, however...
...I can tell you about many a sub that tried unsuccessfully and had to RTP to have their periscopes replaced.
No, my friend, submarine transits are planned out weeks in advance with windows laid out around bridge opening times. Amtrak and the bridge tenders know in advance to expect a military transit in the channel. It takes a bit more than just blowing the horn. That's what radios are for.
 #1183752  by KEN PATRICK

cosmo- interesting info. we never had a pilot. why would you need one? straight shot to the sound. i can believe subs might need a tug . they really can't maneuver that well in a narrow river. a tug dragging a sub? don't believe it. tug to guide a sub under power under the bridge, maybe. honking for passage? of course. who knows the frequencies? if you do have them, the reception is universally poor. honking leaves no doubt. goes on around the world. were you in sea detail control? i'm guessing you were not. if you were on board, i suspect everyone was gripping about having to get underway. couldn't hear the honk. ken patrick
 #1183870  by Cosmo

KEN PATRICK wrote:cosmo- interesting info. we never had a pilot. why would you need one? straight shot to the sound. i can believe subs might need a tug . they really can't maneuver that well in a narrow river. a tug dragging a sub? don't believe it. tug to guide a sub under power under the bridge, maybe. honking for passage? of course. who knows the frequencies? if you do have them, the reception is universally poor. honking leaves no doubt. goes on around the world. were you in sea detail control? i'm guessing you were not. if you were on board, i suspect everyone was gripping about having to get underway. couldn't hear the honk. ken patrick
Every maritime vessel over a particular tonnage needs a pilot within certain waterways, ports etc.
Again, just because you find it hard to imagine does not mean it is not so.
While it is possible for a sub to dock or depart without tug assist, they are used quite frequently. Have a seat down near the State Pier in New London. You can see it all pretty well from there, or from Nautilus Park.
By the time the subs get to the bridge, though, they're usually on their own tug-wise, but the tugs must stay ready as the Race is a narrow, tricky dredged channel and subs draft much deeper than most people realize. (28-30' or more, especially if the back end "digs in" while accelerating.)
When a sub is in "The Race," the pilot tells the Captain and the Navigator what to do.
But we are getting way off-topic now.
Suffice it to say that tides, currents and BRIDGE OPENING TIMES are all considerations for the piloting brief and maneuvering watches.
 #1187225  by Clean Cab

The Cape Flyer made it's VIP debut run yesterday (5/18/13) from Boston to Hyannis. The ride was nice, but there were some problems. The train broke down just one mile out of South Station due to a ground fault problem on the lead engine (010) which took about 15 minutes to fix. The train was also delayed by quite a few speed restrictions and it had to wait 15 minutes for the canal bridge to come down. It arrived in Hyannis at around 1:00 PM instead of the scheduled 11:45 AM.
 #1189782  by Clean Cab

The Cape Flyer carried over 700 passengers over the recent 3 day weekend, which is a good start. Speed restrictions and grade crossings out of service have caused the trains to run as much as 1/2 late, but it is hoped all these will be gone within a week or two.

On another note:
Mass Coastal dispatching has been taken over by Iowa Pacific and is handled out of their headquarters in Wisconsin. The dispatchers access the current radio system via internet hook up.