Railroad Forums 

• Official Cape Cod Central Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1201539  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

fl9m2004 wrote:When did cape cod central get the new train cars
Didn't see the usual red colored ones Wednesday
They received those cars late 2012 or early 2013. Went on the Scenic tour this past week and the cars are well maintained, I believe I heard they are a Rotem order that never materialized for NJT??? They only had the 2006 down in Hyannis, the 1501 looked under maintenance. The red coaches, the Sandwhich, the Barnstable, and one other are usually reserved for the dinner train. They also picked up an old pullman car, very nice. The Iowa Pacific keeps shipping equipment over from time to time. Also regarding to Dispatching, there is talk of bringing it back to Mass Coastal at Buzzards Bay due to a several "hiccups" that have occurred in the recent weeks. The FRA doesn't like how these dispatchers are not qualified on the territory, and just using track charts
 #1205506  by GP40MC 1116

I was able to stop by the Cape Cod Central on Thursday and was a a little bit surprised to be honest at what I saw.

Aside from the Diner Train consist in the yard, which included one of the ex Long Island Railroad coaches (Barnstable). I also saw in the yard a ex Atlantic Coast Line/SLRG coach # 257, Ex MARC Budd Coach SLRG 149 and the Cape Cod Central 1501.

Now, the real surprise for me was when the scenic train arrived. I was expecting to see the nicely Cranberry painted CCC/MC equipment, but instead I got the following: SLRG/Ex NYC Diner "448", SLRG/Saratoga & North Creek ex LIRR C-1 Double Decker Commuter Cars 3007, Ex MARC Budd Coach SLRG 145, Ex New York, Susquehanna & Western E-8A (With Head End Power) and finally the Mass Coastal 2006.

Some of us may think that the venture with Iowa Pacific/Cape Rail has been a good investment, however looking at what they had before to what they have now its apparently trying to be a passenger railroad using a mix-match of old and newer equipment, instead of a scenic railroad that can attract visitors/families etc. At least for now, the Dinner Train will keep going as showing us the true Cape Cod Central/Mass Coastal style.
 #1205535  by Reader#108

For what they are trying to do........you would think that they could throw a lick of paint on the consist.

They are certainly trying to do the right thing, but they are struggling across all of their properties right now.

I would have strange looking equipment before no equipment.
 #1205662  by Otto Vondrak

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Now, the real surprise for me was when the scenic train arrived. I was expecting to see the nicely Cranberry painted CCC/MC equipment, but instead I got the following: SLRG/Ex NYC Diner "448", SLRG/Saratoga & North Creek ex LIRR C-1 Double Decker Commuter Cars 3007, Ex MARC Budd Coach SLRG 145, Ex New York, Susquehanna & Western E-8A (With Head End Power) and finally the Mass Coastal 2006.
Same train I saw a couple weeks ago, I was wondering what was up with the patchwork quilt consist...

-otto-
 #1205710  by frrc

Apparently the drive of the pickup truck ran the crossing signals in a effort to beat the train, and was hit by the train. News articles mention the crossing only has lights and no crossing gates....

J
 #1205743  by GP40MC 1116

Otto Vondrak wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Now, the real surprise for me was when the scenic train arrived. I was expecting to see the nicely Cranberry painted CCC/MC equipment, but instead I got the following: SLRG/Ex NYC Diner "448", SLRG/Saratoga & North Creek ex LIRR C-1 Double Decker Commuter Cars 3007, Ex MARC Budd Coach SLRG 145, Ex New York, Susquehanna & Western E-8A (With Head End Power) and finally the Mass Coastal 2006.
Same train I saw a couple weeks ago, I was wondering what was up with the patchwork quilt consist...

-otto-
I was informed today that the reason using the current consist was because of the oppertunity to have opperating Head End Power with HVAC.
 #1205744  by GP40MC 1116

Reader#108 wrote:For what they are trying to do........you would think that they could throw a lick of paint on the consist.

They are certainly trying to do the right thing, but they are struggling across all of their properties right now.

I would have strange looking equipment before no equipment.
That is a good point and may be true looking at Iowa Pacific as a whole.

However... before Iowa Pacific joined forces with the Mass Coastal, you still had a complete dinner train consist and scenic train conssit that worked fine. Plus with the startup in Mass Coastal's freight side, you have the 2006,2007,2008,2009 and 2010 along with the 1501 for motive power. Point being, if Iowa Pacific packed up shop tomororw and took all of there equiptment away, you would still have what was there before.
 #1219807  by ebtmikado

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:From the MBTA Cape Flyer thread:

Dinner train vs. Darwin Award candidate in a pickup truck this weekend.
Darwin Awards are not given for railroad-related deaths. They would overwhelm all other situations.
 #1234687  by The ViRoCo

The Polar Express, or "The Train to Christmas Town" as they call it, is going on right now!https://www.traintochristmastown.com/massachussetts/

Does anyone have any information on the consist? Like what loco(s) and cars? I saw MC 2008 head down with the IP car 'Prairie View' and I have heard them coming into Middleboro, the interchange point lately. They came yesterday (Wed) and the day before (Tue) and the Old Colony dispatcher said to 2008 yesterday "talk to you tomorrow" so I'm assuming they are coming today. Is this more cars coming in from IP?

And does anyone have an idea of where they are heading to on the Christmas Town train? It departs Buzzards Bay, and I'm assuming they are heading north, so are they going to Rochester?
 #1251881  by Teamdriver

Major improvements on track 
for Cape Cod Central Railroad

Evidently, someone is working on the railroad.

They’ll be at it for all the live-long day for the next two years, and they’re bringing new food, new services and a new look to the Cape Cod Central Railroad.

Known for its scenic excursions, dining trips and seasonal and holiday-themed journeys, the Cape Cod Central Railroad is getting an upgrade.

In the next two years, a team of four experts from the rail industry will join Cape Rail Inc.’s general manager Eric Ciborowski and Kaylene Jablecki, sales and marketing manager of the Cape Cod Central Railroad.

Coming aboard are: David Duncan, general manager of Pullman Rail Journeys; Steven Torrico, assistant general manager of Pullman Rail Journeys; and Mark Salis, passenger services manager of the Saratoga and North Creek Railway.

The fourth expert, Daniel Traynor, can tell you who’s in the kitchen with Dinah. Traynor, director of food and beverage of the Premier Rail Collection, began his career aboard the McKinley Explorer in Alaska, where he cooked in dome cars. He then moved on to upscale kitchens throughout Chicago, including Fred’s Restaurant at Barneys and Prasino. He joined Pullman Rail Journeys as executive chef two years ago and now heads the food and beverage services for the entire passenger rail operation.

“Cape Cod Central is part of a family of railroads — the Premier Rail Collection,” Jablecki said. “Many of these railroads offer acclaimed dining service. We have the knowledge and expertise within our organization to elevate the level of service and customer satisfaction to a point where the Cape Cod Central Railroad will be a truly first-class experience for locals and visitors.”

CCCR’s dream team was recruited from within Premier Rail Collection. Each of the four experts work to design on-board services for all of the group’s other scenic railroads, as well as Pullman Rail Journeys.

First things first, however. The team huddled recently to begin work on the upcoming transformation and to assess the state of the railroad as it stands — in­cluding tasks ranging from examining equipment to evaluating menus.

“It’s a major investment, but one we feel will be worth the time and effort,” Jablecki said.

The first noticeable changes are likely to be the on-board services. Cosmetic changes, which are also part of the plan, will happen over time.

Trips will begin again during the second quarter of the year — weather and on-board upgrades notwithstanding. Visitors looking for a trip on an authentic heritage railroad have several options:

The Shoreline Excursion gives passengers an up-close look at the Cape on an excursion that originates at the Hyannis station (252 Main St., Hyannis). Wooded tracts, dunes, marshes and cranberry bogs glide by as the train cuts through sections of Cape Cod that aren’t accessible by car. It’s a chance to get a look at the Cape from within, experiencing the landscape from a different point of view. The roughly two-hour journey travels out to the Cape Cod Canal and back. Tickets for this trip are $15 for kids ages 2 to 12 and $20 for age 13 and older.

In recent years, the railway has offered several dining trips: the Cape Cod Dinner Train ($84; private tables for two are an additional $40), the Yankee Clipper Brunch Train ($55 for adults, $33 for kids ages 2 to 12; private tables for two are an additional $40), the Colonial Lunch Train ($49 for adults, $39 for kids ages 2 to 12) and the Family Supper Train ($54 for adults, $39 for kids ages 2 to 12) — all of which will benefit from the upgrades.

“Our chef is in the process of updating the menus for this upcoming season,” Jablecki said.

Currently, there are three dining cars. The Great Island, named after the island on the Cape’s south side, was built in 1937. The Race Point car, named after Race Point at the end of Provincetown, was built in 1942 and completely gutted and rebuilt by the Cape Cod Central shops in 2001. The Sandy Neck, bearing the name of the beach on the north side of Barn­stable, was built in 1937.

The CCCR runs a “Train to Christmas Town.” The trip, from Buzzards Bay, started last year during the holidays and is based on the book of the same name by Peggy Ellis, the wife of Iowa Pacific Holdings president Ed Ellis.

Cape Cod Central Railroad executives hope to serve 25,000 people this year.

http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/t ... l_railroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;