Railroad Forums 

• Increased traffic in Montpelier spurs debate

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#745008  by Lincoln78

I recently completed Norwich's online MBA. Rock of Ages kindly allowed Norwich to use their business for case studies for several of the different classes.

Quarrying and fabrication of memorials is a good business, a good neighbor, and very beneficial to the local economy. ROA face still competion from foreign quarries, including some in China.

I hope the citizens of Montpelier can talk some sense into their politicians and support this proposal.
 #745045  by shadyjay

Track from the 'junction to (at least) Barre sees occasional service. Not the nicest looking trackage, but it apparently gets the job done... still amazing the Acelas moved on this line, then pulled by NECR GP-38s!

From what I am reading on other lists... the project is a GO and service will start in the spring.

And don't get me started on that rotary!!!
 #758373  by rovetherr

Nearly the entire line is in service, only the section from the upper switchback to the end of track at Graniteville is OOS. It does not see much movement past Barre, but it is in service and passable up to the top of the hill. If the movement does happen, there will be additional work performed on the line in some areas that are known to be problimatic.

edited for spelling
 #813952  by thebigham

From the VRS Yaooo email list:

Construction crews were busy finishing work on the loadout, as single
unit - GMRC 804 - headed up the hill this am to spot the first cars
for loading... GP9 only so far...

Kevin Burkholder
 #814553  by R36 Combine Coach

If you look using Google Streetview, the line through Barre and Montpelier is narrow, windy and filled with unprotected crossings. It is amazing that this was the only connection from Bombardier's Barre plant to the rest of the world. Comets, Superliners and Acela Express coaches all passed over here.
 #814658  by Hux

R36 Combine Coach wrote:If you look using Google Streetview, the line through Barre and Montpelier is narrow, windy and filled with unprotected crossings. It is amazing that this was the only connection from Bombardier's Barre plant to the rest of the world. Comets, Superliners and Acela Express coaches all passed over here.
Shame the plant isn't still open...would be a good time to cash in on all the Stimulus money that will be spent by Amtrak and others on upgrading etc.
 #814747  by laflamcs

I was on the road between Montpelier and Barre and back again yesterday. There is a lot of evidence of very recent work on this line. A lot of ties have been replaced and in some areas new ballast has been spread. Some of the line in Barre, right alongside the road, especially, looks awful but improvements are being made. This was the same line that the Mass Bay Railroad club had an excursion on last year. That was a great ride!

Regards,
..Chris
 #816033  by MikeVT

Bombardier plant is open ... kinda

Northern power makes the generator section for wind turnbines and thier control cabinet for aux power units in the plant. Its been a couple of years since I was in the plant but they have been trying to grow. Not sure if they will ever utilize the tracks.