• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1330189  by Dick H

Report on the Rutland/VRS group that the granite train had a hiccup today,
with the first load behind the power going on the ground near Allen's
Lumber in Barre. No other details...
 #1332575  by Hux

Dick H wrote:Report on the Rutland/VRS group that the granite train had a hiccup today,
with the first load behind the power going on the ground near Allen's
Lumber in Barre. No other details...
Great series of pics by Bruce Nelson of yesterday's move down the hill.

Apparently there was a bit of a problem with the brakes on one of the gondolas.
 #1479238  by shadyjay

Hux wrote:
highrail wrote:Does anyone have any info on granite moves out of the Montpelier area? I think there was a fairly recent move. Anything coming up? Thanks!
Steve
Well, there is a nice photo of a granite train move through Barre today http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=2&key2=
Heard it and saw it (barely) through the trees while getting my windshield replaced on the Barre-Montpelier Road. What I saw must've been empties heading back up the hill, 'cause it was around 3:30pm and it was heading east towards Barre.
 #1540690  by thebigham

Granite trains are running again.

And some big news:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/7339 ... vBeBGtltv4

"Vermont Rail System is undertaking the rebirth of the old Montpelier & Wells River Railroad right-of-way after nearly 75 years of abandonment. Having seen the last revenue train in 1956, the line had been pulled up and reclaimed by nature, until late in 2019, when the wheels of progress moved forward and in an effort to eliminate two bridge crossings on structures that are ailing, the old M&WR ROW was reclaimed and cleared. Now rail will soon be laid and the VRS Granite District moved to the other side of the river, forever eliminating this view of the loaded granite train crossing the Winooski River inbound to Montpelier. The new ROW is above the train and stretches from this site at the former Barre Transfer, approximately 1.28 miles to the west where it will rejoin what is the former Central Vermont, however today's Washington County RR Granite District! The thru-truss in this image is the other bridge being eliminated in the process of restoring the old M&WR ROW."

Thanks to Kevin Burkholder for the news.
 #1541049  by thebigham

Red line is the old MWR grade.

It's probably wrong on the left side of the map.

Google Maps shows roadwork and some of the work on the new grade.
Attachments:
mbrr.png
mbrr.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1867 times
 #1541055  by shadyjay

In the above map, the existing line in use which is the ex-CV line crosses the Winooski River near the House of Tang (left side above), then closely parallels US 2, past Vermont Lazerwash, and the old Grossman's site (west of Formula Ford, by the rotary), then crosses the river again just past the rotary. In lower right corner, the M&WR right of way to Wells River continued to parallel US 2, with the line to Barre and the quarries continuing east, to parallel the Winooski again. The end of the red line is "Barre Transfer" where, at present, the M&WR mainline exists for a few carlengths for car storage.

Until Kevin posted the pics/captions, I had no idea this project was even taking place. It does show some commitment by the state and VRS to continue to service Barre and beyond. Service/customers have been sporadic in recent years. Obviously laying new track (on a long-dormant right of way) is a significant investment. Without this new line, I would fear any condemnation of the existing bridges would seal the fate of the entire line.
 #1541064  by BandA

1.28 miles of track must be cheaper than two bridges! Looks like fresh ballast on the old ROW. I assume the bike trail occupies part of the ROW. Why was the old ROW chosen in 1956 over the new ROW? Will the old ROW be landbanked?
 #1541081  by NHV 669

BandA wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:04 am Will the old ROW be landbanked?
The plan is apparently to use it as a siding, but eventually the bridges will likely be pulled out as they are on "borrowed time".